2003 Gary Fisher Big Sur or Trek 8000

Kr

Guest
I'm returning to mountain biking after years without one.
I'll be doing some of everything. Looking for a good all
rounder. A local bike shop is closing out last year's bikes
and I'm looking to buy a 2003 Big Sur or 2003 Trek 8000.
I'd like some opinions from owners or anyone who has
experience with these bikes. These seem very very similar
at first glance. What are the pros and cons of each? Why is
one better than the other? Is there anything I would need
to upgrade right away on either model (I mean any design
flaws or pain inducing components)? The models I'm looking
at do not have disc brakes. Are either one of these bikes
disc ready (I mean can I add disc brakes later for a
reasonable price)?

Also, if I'm 6' tall, 210 lbs., and normally proportioned
(no oddly long or short limbs :p), what frame size of
Gary Fisher Big Sur or Trek 8000 would I be looking for?
The GF comes in Small, Medium, Large, and Extra Large
(It's like buying a t-shirt). The Trek comes in 15.5",
17.5", 19.5", 21.5".

I know I know I need to go sit on them and ride them. I just
want to go to the shop with as much knowledge as possible so
as to avoid getting suckered.

Thanks

KR

"KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm returning to mountain biking after years without one.
> I'll be doing some of everything. Looking for a good all
> rounder. A local bike shop is closing out last year's
> bikes and I'm looking to buy a 2003 Big Sur or
2003
> Trek 8000. I'd like some opinions from owners or
> anyone who has
experience
> with these bikes. These seem very very similar at first
> glance. What are the pros and cons of each? Why is one
> better than the other? Is there anything I would need to
> upgrade right away on either model (I mean any design
> flaws or pain inducing components)? The models I'm
> looking at do
not
> have disc brakes. Are either one of these bikes disc
> ready (I mean can I add disc brakes later for a
> reasonable price)?
>
> Also, if I'm 6' tall, 210 lbs., and normally proportioned
> (no oddly long
or
> short limbs :p), what frame size of Gary Fisher Big Sur
> or Trek 8000
would
> I be looking for? The GF comes in Small, Medium, Large,
> and Extra Large (It's like buying a t-shirt). The Trek
> comes in 15.5", 17.5", 19.5",
21.5".

> I know I know I need to go sit on them and ride them. I
> just want to go
> the shop with as much knowledge as possible so as to
> avoid getting
suckered.

http://www.fisherbikes.com/index.asp

http://www.trekbikes.com/

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.

D T W .../\... <[email protected]> wrote:
> "KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I'm returning to mountain biking after years without one.
>> I'll be doing some of everything. Looking for a good all
>> rounder. A local bike shop is closing out last year's
>> bikes and I'm looking to buy a 2003 Big Sur or 2003 Trek
>> 8000. I'd like some opinions from owners or anyone who
>> has experience with these bikes. These seem very very
>> similar at first glance. What are the pros and cons of
>> each? Why is one better than the other? Is there anything
>> I would need to upgrade right away on either model (I
>> mean any design flaws or pain inducing components)? The
>> models I'm looking at do not have disc brakes. Are either
>> one of these bikes disc ready (I mean can I add disc
>> brakes later for a reasonable price)?
>>
>> Also, if I'm 6' tall, 210 lbs., and normally proportioned
>> (no oddly long or short limbs :p), what frame size of
>> Gary Fisher Big Sur or Trek 8000 would I be looking for?
>> The GF comes in Small, Medium, Large, and Extra Large
>> (It's like buying a t-shirt). The Trek comes in 15.5",
>> 17.5", 19.5", 21.5".
>>
>> I know I know I need to go sit on them and ride them. I
>> just want to go to the shop with as much knowledge as
>> possible so as to avoid getting suckered.
>>
>> Thanks KR
>

> http://www.fisherbikes.com/index.asp
>
> http://www.trekbikes.com/
>
> --
> DTW .../\.../\.../\...
>
> I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and
> windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

Good sites, but they don't offer owners' opinions.

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

"KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I know I know I need to go sit on them and ride them.

Why? What would that prove? The difference between the two
bikes boils down to whether you prefer the inventor of the
modern mountain bike or the five time winner of Le Tour.
When you choose a bike, you are really just choosing a
soundtrack for your ride. They all have the same/similar
components.

L or 19.5

TM wrote:
> "KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> I know I know I need to go sit on them and ride them.
>
> Why? What would that prove? The difference between the two
> bikes boils down to whether you prefer the inventor of the
> modern mountain bike or the five time winner of Le Tour.
> When you choose a bike, you are really just choosing a
> soundtrack for your ride. They all have the same/similar
> components.

Please tell us you're kidding.

> L or 19.5

Most likely right (original "size content" missing now).

Bill "frame MOST important decision" S.

Exactly. I think I already know what the manufacturer thinks
on their products...

Plus I've already been to those sites a countless times. I
want to know what riders think of the bikes.

KR

Zilla wrote:

> D T W .../\... <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> I'm returning to mountain biking after years without
>>> one. I'll be doing some of everything. Looking for a
>>> good all rounder. A local bike shop is closing out last
>>> year's bikes and I'm looking to buy a 2003 Big Sur or
>>> 2003 Trek 8000. I'd like some opinions from owners or
>>> anyone who has experience with these bikes. These seem
>>> very very similar at first glance. What are the pros and
>>> cons of each? Why is one better than the other? Is there
>>> anything I would need to upgrade right away on either
>>> model (I mean any design flaws or pain inducing
>>> components)? The models I'm looking at do not have disc
>>> brakes. Are either one of these bikes disc ready (I mean
>>> can I add disc brakes later for a reasonable price)?
>>>
>>> Also, if I'm 6' tall, 210 lbs., and normally
>>> proportioned (no oddly long or short limbs :p), what
>>> frame size of Gary Fisher Big Sur or Trek 8000 would I
>>> be looking for? The GF comes in Small, Medium, Large,
>>> and Extra Large (It's like buying a t-shirt). The Trek
>>> comes in 15.5", 17.5", 19.5", 21.5".
>>>
>>> I know I know I need to go sit on them and ride them. I
>>> just want to go to the shop with as much knowledge as
>>> possible so as to avoid getting suckered.
>>>
>>> Thanks KR
>>

>> http://www.fisherbikes.com/index.asp
>>
>> http://www.trekbikes.com/
>>
>> --
>> DTW .../\.../\.../\...
>>
>> I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and
>> windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.
>
> Good sites, but they don't offer owners' opinions.

"KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Also, if I'm 6' tall, 210 lbs., and normally
> proportioned <snip>

First, don't listen to any pipsqueaks. They'll tell you how
fantastic cookie cutter bikes are because they don't weigh
enough to break one of those POS bikes under normal use. If
you are going to ride instead of pretending to ride, save
your money and buy a quality bike that will not fall apart
as you ride it.

JD

So are you saying that these two bikes might fall apart?

KR

> "KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Also, if I'm 6' tall, 210 lbs., and normally
> > proportioned <snip>
>
> First, don't listen to any pipsqueaks. They'll tell you
> how fantastic cookie cutter bikes are because they don't
> weigh enough to break one of those POS bikes under normal
> use. If you are going to ride instead of pretending to
> ride, save your money and buy a quality bike that will not
> fall apart as you ride it.
>
> JD

"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Please tell us you're kidding.

Ask a silly question...

In hindsight, I should have just called him a BELLYWHACKER.

> > L or 19.5
>
> Most likely right (original "size content" missing now).
>
> Bill "frame MOST important decision" S.

T "agreed" M

"KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So are you saying that these two bikes might fall apart?

I think he is.

> KR
>

> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Also, if I'm 6' tall, 210 lbs., and normally
> > > proportioned <snip>
> >
> > First, don't listen to any pipsqueaks. They'll tell you
> > how fantastic cookie cutter bikes are because they don't
> > weigh enough to break one of those POS bikes under
> > normal use. If you are going to ride instead of
> > pretending to ride, save your money and buy a quality
> > bike that will not fall apart as you ride it.
> >
> > JD

I guess you're new here. JD is like an old record when it
comes to Treks, GF, Santa Cruz, .... ... I forget what else!

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

"KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So are you saying that these two bikes might fall apart?
>
> KR
>

> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Also, if I'm 6' tall, 210 lbs., and normally
> > > proportioned <snip>
> >
> > First, don't listen to any pipsqueaks. They'll tell you
> > how fantastic cookie cutter bikes are because they don't
> > weigh enough to break one of those POS bikes under
> > normal use. If you are going to ride instead of
> > pretending to ride, save your money and buy a quality
> > bike that will not fall apart as you ride it.
> >
> > JD

I geuss you could lookat www.mtrb.com or read some magazines
like MTB Action. Rad

"KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm returning to mountain biking after years without one.
> I'll be doing some of everything. Looking for a good all
> rounder. A local bike shop is closing out last year's
> bikes and I'm looking to buy a 2003 Big Sur or
2003
> Trek 8000. I'd like some opinions from owners or
> anyone who has
experience
> with these bikes. These seem very very similar at first
> glance. What are the pros and cons of each? Why is one
> better than the other? Is there anything I would need to
> upgrade right away on either model (I mean any design
> flaws or pain inducing components)? The models I'm
> looking at do
not
> have disc brakes. Are either one of these bikes disc
> ready (I mean can I add disc brakes later for a
> reasonable price)?
>
> Also, if I'm 6' tall, 210 lbs., and normally proportioned
> (no oddly long
or
> short limbs :p), what frame size of Gary Fisher Big Sur
> or Trek 8000
would
> I be looking for? The GF comes in Small, Medium, Large,
> and Extra Large (It's like buying a t-shirt). The Trek
> comes in 15.5", 17.5", 19.5",
21.5".

> I know I know I need to go sit on them and ride them. I
> just want to go
> the shop with as much knowledge as possible so as to
> avoid getting
suckered.

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I guess you're new here. JD is like an old record when
> it comes to Treks, GF, Santa Cruz, .... ... I forget
> what else!
>
> --
> - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

Whatever top-posters are riding.

> "KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > So are you saying that these two bikes might fall apart?
> >
> > KR

I'm saying they will fall apart under regular use by someone
over two hundred pounds. My guess would be the wheels and/or
freehub would fail first. The replacement of componentry
will nickel and dime you to the point you wished you had
bought a good bike. Both of those frames (as are most cookie-
cutter frames) are designed and built cheaply because the
manufacturers figure most of the "mountain bikes" they sell
will not be used regularly. They bank on the fact that some
dipstick is going to see a mt dew commercial, buy their
bike, ride it once and then find out it's not as easy as it
looks, so they put the bike in the garage or on eBay. Those
bikes that do get used are factored in as a loss when they
eventually get replaced under warranty. It's "business",
which sucks because they (especially trek and fisher) sell
bikes that are underdesigned and underbuilt for regular use
by those who really want to mountain bike. How does waiting
for a warranty replacement sound when the weather and trails
are perfect?

JD

> > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > "KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > >
> > > First, don't listen to any pipsqueaks. They'll tell
> > > you how fantastic cookie cutter bikes are because they
> > > don't weigh enough to break one of those POS bikes
> > > under normal use. If you are going to ride instead of
> > > pretending to ride, save your money and buy a quality
> > > bike that will not fall apart as you ride it.
> > >
> > > JD

That's fine to tell me that I'm picking wrong, but how it
doesn't really help me unless you tell me what I should
buy and why?

JD <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> I guess you're new here. JD is like an old record when
>> it comes to Treks, GF, Santa Cruz, .... ... I forget
>> what else!
>>
>> --
>> - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)
>
> Whatever top-posters are riding.
>
>> "KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> So are you saying that these two bikes might fall apart?
>>>
>>> KR
>
> I'm saying they will fall apart under regular use by
> someone over two hundred pounds. My guess would be the
> wheels and/or freehub would fail first. The replacement of
> componentry will nickel and dime you to the point you
> wished you had bought a good bike. Both of those frames
> (as are most cookie-cutter frames) are designed and built
> cheaply because the manufacturers figure most of the
> "mountain bikes" they sell will not be used regularly.
> They bank on the fact that some dipstick is going to see a
> mt dew commercial, buy their bike, ride it once and then
> find out it's not as easy as it looks, so they put the
> bike in the garage or on eBay. Those bikes that do get
> used are factored in as a loss when they eventually get
> replaced under warranty. It's "business", which sucks
> because they (especially trek and fisher) sell bikes that
> are underdesigned and underbuilt for regular use by those
> who really want to mountain bike. How does waiting for a
> warranty replacement sound when the weather and trails are
> perfect?
>
> JD
>
>>> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>> news:<[email protected]>...

I'm 185-190 lbs and have had my Trek Fuel 90 for 3 yrs, avg.
riding 3-4 times a week 1-1.5 hrs each ride. I've never paid
attention to dew commercials either. It's worked for me. I
don't know, or care, if it'll work for any one else. Nor do
I care if what works for anyone will work for me.

Of course I put together an SS and have ridden it
exclusively all week. How 'bout that for having my cake and
eating it too! :)

KR - all of these posts are simply opinions, all or none of
which you take or leave (including this one). Find out what
fits you best, buy it and ride it!

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

"KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> That's fine to tell me that I'm picking wrong, but how it
> doesn't really help me unless you tell me what I should
> buy and why?
>
> KR

> > I'm saying they will fall apart under regular use by
> > someone over two hundred pounds. My guess would be the
> > wheels and/or freehub would fail first. The replacement
> > of componentry will nickel and dime you to the point you
> > wished you had bought a good bike. Both of those frames
> > (as are most cookie-cutter frames) are designed and
> > built cheaply because the manufacturers figure most of
> > the "mountain bikes" they sell will not be used
> > regularly. They bank on the fact that some dipstick is
> > going to see a mt dew commercial, buy their bike, ride
> > it once and then find out it's not as easy as it looks,
> > so they put the bike in the garage or on eBay. Those
> > bikes that do get used are factored in as a loss when
> > they eventually get replaced under warranty. It's
> > "business", which sucks because they (especially trek
> > and fisher) sell bikes that are underdesigned and
> > underbuilt for regular use by those who really want to
> > mountain bike. How does waiting for a warranty
> > replacement sound when the weather and trails are
> > perfect?
> >
> > JD

It's not too hard to figure out, so knock yourself out.

JD

On 2004-07-03, Zilla penned:

> I'm 185-190 lbs and have had my Trek Fuel 90 for 3 yrs,
> avg. riding 3-4 times a week 1-1.5 hrs each ride. I've
> never paid attention to dew commercials either. It's
> worked for me. I don't know, or care, if it'll work for
> any one else. Nor do I care if what works for anyone will
> work for me.

I was looking forward to reporting on many happy years of
Fuelling, but then of course the bike got run over and I got
another JD favorite, the Fisher. I really hope it doesn't
have the problems that some have reported. I can understand
having bad experiences and not wanting others to have the
same miserable experience ... all I can say is, right price,
right time, got me back out onto the trail. I can't speak
for you, but I'm 100% sure that JD tackles trails (if you
can even call them that) far more brutal than I'm likely to
try in the next several years.

It turns out that a really good bike shop in the area stocks
Jamis, so in a few years I may have to trade up ... then
again, I've been thinking it might be interesting
(educational, anyway) to go hard tail ... and on the third
hand, I've promised myself I'll pay off a good chunk of my
debt before ponying up for more non-essentials. Damn that
common sense!

--
monique

Zilla wrote:
> JD <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:<[email protected]>...
>>
>>>I guess you're new here. JD is like an old record when
>>>it comes to Treks, GF, Santa Cruz, .... ... I forget
>>>what else!
>>>
>>>--
>>>- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)
>>
>>Whatever top-posters are riding.
>>

>>>"KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>I'm saying they will fall apart under regular use by
>>someone over two hundred pounds. My guess would be the
>>wheels and/or freehub would fail first. The replacement of
>>componentry will nickel and dime you to the point you
>>wished you had bought a good bike. Both of those frames
>>(as are most cookie-cutter frames) are designed and built
>>cheaply because the manufacturers figure most of the
>>"mountain bikes" they sell will not be used regularly.
>>They bank on the fact that some dipstick is going to see a
>>mt dew commercial, buy their bike, ride it once and then
>>find out it's not as easy as it looks, so they put the
>>bike in the garage or on eBay. Those bikes that do get
>>used are factored in as a loss when they eventually get
>>replaced under warranty. It's "business", which sucks
>>because they (especially trek and fisher) sell bikes that
>>are underdesigned and underbuilt for regular use by those
>>who really want to mountain bike. How does waiting for a
>>warranty replacement sound when the weather and trails are
>>perfect?
>>
>>JD

>>> news:<[email protected]>...

> I'm 185-190 lbs and have had my Trek Fuel 90 for 3 yrs,
> avg. riding 3-4 times a week 1-1.5 hrs each ride. I've
> never paid attention to dew commercials either. It's
> worked for me. I don't know, or care, if it'll work for
> any one else. Nor do I care if what works for anyone will
> work for me.

Had my Fuel 80 for two years. I did have problems early on
with a crappy seat and a chainring that bent, both of which
the dealer made better at no cost to me. Since then I've had
no problems and absolutley love the ride. Guess that makes
me another of the millions of statistical anomolies.

jem wrote:

> Had my Fuel 80 for two years. I did have problems early on
> with a crappy seat and a chainring that bent, both of
> which the dealer made better at no cost to me. Since then
> I've had no problems and absolutley love the ride. Guess
> that makes me another of the millions of statistical
> anomolies.

How much over two hundred pounds do you weigh?

-Jeff