2003 Gary Fisher Big Sur or Trek 8000

jem wrote:

>> I rest my case. Don't think I don't know what the
>> Piedmont region of NC yields as far as trail conditions
>> go either. I lived and rode there.
>>
>> JD
>
> All I ever claim is that I've been happy with my Trek and
> had good luck with it. Rest your case? Please, just rest
> your moust. Or how about coming up with some hard
> statistics on frame failure rates, but Trek or ANY bike
> manufacturer?

first, you should read the FAQ for this group, if you
haven't. It's always at the bottom of Bomba's posts.
Second, one thorough search of the mtbr forums on this
subject, that should bring up a few intresting results for
you. Third, it's just one guys opinion, dont' get your
panties all in a wad.

penny

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 13:44:01 -0700, pas wrote:

>> All I ever claim is that I've been happy with my Trek and
>> had good luck with it. Rest your case? Please, just rest
>> your moust. Or how about coming up with some hard
>> statistics on frame failure rates, but Trek or ANY bike
>> manufacturer?
>

> first, you should read the FAQ for this group, if you
> haven't. It's always at the bottom of Bomba's posts.
> Second, one thorough search of the mtbr forums on this
> subject, that should bring up a few intresting results for
> you. Third, it's just one guys opinion, dont' get your
> panties all in a wad.

I've just changed computers and haven't sorted out the .sig,
but the FAQ is at http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

However, I'm pretty sure 'jem' has been around here before.
Albeit under a different 'nym...

"KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I've been knocking myself out, but if you took the time to
> read this you could at least offer some useful advice.

You get what you pay for.

> KR
>
> P.S. - This is by far the most amount of reply posts I've
> ever gotten to a Usenet post while still providing
> the least amount of useful information. Is this
> typical of this group?

All of these questions have been answered multiple times
before. By different people.

JD has his thing, and if you hung around a while, you'll
find he's kinda opinionated. Your lack of knowledge on the
subject is not
a.m-b.'s problem. Whatever subject that's at hand.

Now, about the bikes: it's *your* money. If your heart is
set on one of those bikes, buy the one that fits best, from
the shop that treats you best. (This is also non-news, BTW.)
Brands? I'm a Marin/Marzocchi pimp right now, so go look up
Marin, steel or aluminum hardtail, and try and get your LBS
to swap in a coil and oil Marzocchi. Simple, reliable and
from companies that have pretty decent reputations. And you
might even get it at a decent price - more than you would
have spent on the Trek/GF, but a better bike (probably.) Go
to the Marin website and have a look.
--
Jonesy

> [email protected] (R.White) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (JD) wrote in message news:<ebf270c9.04-
> > [email protected]>...
> > > [email protected] (R.White) wrote in message news:<-
> > > [email protected]>...

> > > The funniest thing about this leg hump is that you'll
> > > never truly know how well or hackish I might ride,
> > > ricky. Thanks for the starch.
> >
> > Oh boo hoo, I'm not gonna get one of your lame "come out
> > here and I'll show you..." posts.
>
> I'm surprised at you, ricky. You seem to pay so much
> attention to me and what I have to say, you might have
> figured out by now that is not my normal mode of
> operation. Vo2lker is just ignorant, whereas you are
> psychotic and there's a big difference between the two.
>
> > The funniest thing is how you contradict yourself.
>
> Where? You need to get back on your meds.

If I was actually on medication, how is making fun of
something that is beyond a persons control any different
than someone commenting on your ability to be a good father?
They're both subjects that are best left alone, but you feel
it is ok to belittle someone for a medical condition.

The affects of your comments on me are nil since I do not
take or have a need for any anti-depressant medication, but
it's attitudes like yours that prevent people who might need
help from seeking any because they know they will be
ridiculed and made fun of for something they cannot overcome
on their own. I work with these people for a living and I
can say with utmost confindence that people like you make
their lives hell.

bomba wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 13:44:01 -0700, pas wrote:
>

>>>All I ever claim is that I've been happy with my Trek and
>>>had good luck with it. Rest your case? Please, just rest
>>>your moust. Or how about coming up with some hard
>>>statistics on frame failure rates, but Trek or ANY bike
>>>manufacturer?
>>

>>first, you should read the FAQ for this group, if you
>>haven't. It's always at the bottom of Bomba's posts.
>>Second, one thorough search of the mtbr forums on this
>>subject, that should bring up a few intresting results for
>>you. Third, it's just one guys opinion, dont' get your
>>panties all in a wad.
>

> I've just changed computers and haven't sorted out the
> .sig, but the FAQ is at http://www.j-
> harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm
>
> However, I'm pretty sure 'jem' has been around here
> before. Albeit under a different 'nym...

Yep. Guilty. James Messick is me.

pas wrote:

> jem wrote:
>

>>>I rest my case. Don't think I don't know what the
>>>Piedmont region of NC yields as far as trail conditions
>>>go either. I lived and rode there.
>>>
>>>JD
>>
>>All I ever claim is that I've been happy with my Trek and
>>had good luck with it. Rest your case? Please, just rest
>>your moust. Or how about coming up with some hard
>>statistics on frame failure rates, but Trek or ANY bike
>>manufacturer?
>

> first, you should read the FAQ for this group, if you
> haven't. It's always at the bottom of Bomba's posts.
> Second, one thorough search of the mtbr forums on this
> subject, that should bring up a few intresting results for
> you. Third, it's just one guys opinion, dont' get your
> panties all in a wad.
>
> penny

You mean the part that says JD argues with anybody?

jem <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> JD wrote:
> > jem <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<ephG-
> > [email protected]>...
> >>You probably get more for your buck with a Trek then
> >>with any botique bike.

> > That is complete and unadulterated bullcrap. How does
> > one get more bang for the buck with a broken frame? Does
> > the "BANG" come from the noise when the frame breaks? I
> > buy bikes to ride them as intended and nothing but the
> > best will last and that goes for anyone who wants to
> > ride instead of waiting for a warranty to be honored.
> > How long did it take for your Yugo to die on the
> > highway?

<edited for hilarity>

> All I ever claim is that I've been happy with my Trek and
> had good luck with it.

Wow, a selective memory that even doesn't remember something
they wrote when it's still right in front of their face!
Your most outlandish CLAIM is still just as funny as when
you posted it the other day.

JD

[email protected] (R.White) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> If I was actually on medication, how is making fun of
> something that is beyond a persons control any different
> than someone commenting on your ability to be a good
> father? They're both subjects that are best left alone,
> but you feel it is ok to belittle someone for a medical
> condition.

Your being a psycho has everything to do with your
schizophrenic postings in am-b. If you're not on meds, you
need to be. BTW, you only belittle yourself and don't need
much help in making yourself any more insignificant than you
already are.

> The affects of your comments on me are nil since I do not
> take or have a need for any anti-depressant medication,
> but it's attitudes like yours that prevent people who
> might need help from seeking any because they know they
> will be ridiculed and made fun of for something they
> cannot overcome on their own. I work with these people for
> a living and I can say with utmost confindence that people
> like you make their lives hell.

Should I get my violin out and play the world's saddest tune
to accompany your oh-so-politically correct whine? You are
only worthy of ridicule becuase the ridiculous nature of
your psychotic leg-humping posts. Dragging your
(un)profession into the fray is lame and predictable.

JD

> [email protected] (R.White) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > If I was actually on medication, how is making fun of
> > something that is beyond a persons control any different
> > than someone commenting on your ability to be a good
> > father? They're both subjects that are best left alone,
> > but you feel it is ok to belittle someone for a medical
> > condition.
>
> Your being a psycho has everything to do with your
> schizophrenic postings in am-b. If you're not on meds, you
> need to be. BTW, you only belittle yourself and don't need
> much help in making yourself any more insignificant than
> you already.

The 911 operator's making a diagnosis. Let the pro's handle
that sort of thing and stick with what you do best Jerry,
answering the phone.

JD wrote:
> jem <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<OPDGc.-
> [email protected]>...
>
>>JD wrote:
>>
>>>jem <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<ephGc-
>>>[email protected]>...

>>>That is complete and unadulterated bullcrap. How does one
>>>get more bang for the buck with a broken frame? Does the
>>>"BANG" come from the noise when the frame breaks? I buy
>>>bikes to ride them as intended and nothing but the best
>>>will last and that goes for anyone who wants to ride
>>>instead of waiting for a warranty to be honored. How long
>>>did it take for your Yugo to die on the highway?
>

> <edited for hilarity>
>
>>All I ever claim is that I've been happy with my Trek and
>>had good luck with it.
>

> Wow, a selective memory that even doesn't remember
> something they wrote when it's still right in front of
> their face! Your most outlandish CLAIM is still just as
> funny as when you posted it the other day.

Again, how about some hard statistics?

jem wrote:

> Again, how about some hard statistics?

We've been over this before. The only people that have 'hard
statistics' are the manufacturers warrantying the frames.
Surprisingly, they're not keen to share that sort of
information with the general public.

Alas, the only evidence anybody is able to put forward is
their own personal experience. As someone who has broken
numerous Trek frames, I would suggest that JD is in a
justifiable position to grumble.

bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> jem wrote:
>
> > Again, how about some hard statistics?
>
> We've been over this before. The only people that have
> 'hard statistics' are the manufacturers warrantying the
> frames. Surprisingly, they're not keen to share that sort
> of information with the general public.

Thanks for sharing the obvious, Jon. Though he's been around
here a while, James must have missed when this was covered
the many times it has been before.

> Alas, the only evidence anybody is able to put forward is
> their own personal experience. As someone who has broken
> numerous Trek frames, I would suggest that JD is in a
> justifiable position to grumble.

Funny thing, since I reiterated my statement the other day,
I've noticed a crapload of treks on bike racks with nary a
scratch, nor dirt on them. Many more than I have seen on the
trail. I live close to an urban trailhead and see countless
cookie cutters in new condition that obviously don't see the
dirt at all.

JD

[email protected] (R.White) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (JD) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (R.White) wrote in message news:<27-
> > [email protected]>...
> > > If I was actually on medication, how is making fun of
> > > something that is beyond a persons control any
> > > different than someone commenting on your ability to
> > > be a good father? They're both subjects that are best
> > > left alone, but you feel it is ok to belittle someone
> > > for a medical condition.
> >
> > Your being a psycho has everything to do with your
> > schizophrenic postings in am-b. If you're not on meds,
> > you need to be. BTW, you only belittle yourself and
> > don't need much help in making yourself any more
> > insignificant than you are already.
>
> The 911 operator's making a diagnosis. Let the pro's
> handle that sort of thing and stick with what you do best
> Jerry, answering the phone.

Here's a suggestion, ricky. Take your meds, get a clue and
then call your shrink in the morning. You'll never know what
my educational background is, so keep flailing away.

JD

> bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > jem wrote:
> >
> > > Again, how about some hard statistics?
> >
> > We've been over this before. The only people that have
> > 'hard statistics' are the manufacturers warrantying the
> > frames. Surprisingly, they're not keen to share that
> > sort of information with the general public.
>
> Thanks for sharing the obvious, Jon. Though he's been
> around here a while, James must have missed when this was
> covered the many times it has been before.
>
> > Alas, the only evidence anybody is able to put forward
> > is their own personal experience. As someone who has
> > broken numerous Trek frames, I would suggest that JD is
> > in a justifiable position to grumble.
>
> Funny thing, since I reiterated my statement the other
> day, I've noticed a crapload of treks on bike racks with
> nary a scratch, nor dirt on them. Many more than I have
> seen on the trail. I live close to an urban trailhead and
> see countless cookie cutters in new condition that
> obviously don't see the dirt at all.
>
> JD

Even in Fuita? For shame...I thought that was an attribute
particular to Phoenix.

Juan Spanos

> [email protected] (R.White) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (JD) wrote in message news:<ebf2-
> > [email protected]>...
> > > [email protected] (R.White) wrote in message news:<-
> > > [email protected]>...
> > >
> > > Your being a psycho has everything to do with your
> > > schizophrenic postings in am-b. If you're not on meds,
> > > you need to be. BTW, you only belittle yourself and
> > > don't need much help in making yourself any more
> > > insignificant than you are already.
> >
> > The 911 operator's making a diagnosis. Let the pro's
> > handle that sort of thing and stick with what you do
> > best Jerry, answering the phone.
>
> Here's a suggestion, ricky. Take your meds, get a clue and
> then call your shrink in the morning. You'll never know
> what my educational background is, so keep flailing away.

Ditto Jerry.

You know squat about my life.

PKB.

> bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > jem wrote:
> >
> > > Again, how about some hard statistics?
> >
> > We've been over this before. The only people that have
> > 'hard statistics' are the manufacturers warrantying the
> > frames. Surprisingly, they're not keen to share that
> > sort of information with the general public.
>
> Thanks for sharing the obvious, Jon. Though he's been
> around here a while, James must have missed when this was
> covered the many times it has been before.
>
> > Alas, the only evidence anybody is able to put forward
> > is their own personal experience. As someone who has
> > broken numerous Trek frames, I would suggest that JD is
> > in a justifiable position to grumble.
>
> Funny thing, since I reiterated my statement the other
> day, I've noticed a crapload of treks on bike racks with
> nary a scratch, nor dirt on them. Many more than I have
> seen on the trail. I live close to an urban trailhead and
> see countless cookie cutters in new condition that
> obviously don't see the dirt at all.

The same "scientific" metheod Vandeman uses. No surprise
there since you both beat the same drum

> bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > jem wrote:
> >
> > > Again, how about some hard statistics?
> >
> > We've been over this before. The only people that have
> > 'hard statistics' are the manufacturers warrantying the
> > frames. Surprisingly, they're not keen to share that
> > sort of information with the general public.
>
> Thanks for sharing the obvious, Jon. Though he's been
> around here a while, James must have missed when this was
> covered the many times it has been before.
>
> > Alas, the only evidence anybody is able to put forward
> > is their own personal experience. As someone who has
> > broken numerous Trek frames, I would suggest that JD is
> > in a justifiable position to grumble.
>
> Funny thing, since I reiterated my statement the other
> day, I've noticed a crapload of treks on bike racks with
> nary a scratch, nor dirt on them. Many more than I have
> seen on the trail. I live close to an urban trailhead and
> see countless cookie cutters in new condition that
> obviously don't see the dirt at all.

The same "scientific" metheod Vandeman uses. No surprise
there since you both beat the same drum.

> [email protected] (R.White) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > You know squat about my life.
>
> Yes, I squat on your (lack of) life.

Also, consider yourself now with the likes of frightpig,
duhski and other various idiots in this newsgroup that don't
contribute anything meaningful and hence are not worthy of
any more responses from me.

JD

> [email protected] (JD) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (R.White) wrote in message news:<27-
> > [email protected]>...
> > > You know squat about my life.
> >
> > Yes, I squat on your (lack of) life.
>
> Also, consider yourself now with the likes of frightpig,
> duhski and other various idiots in this newsgroup that
> don't contribute anything meaningful and hence are not
> worthy of any more responses from me.

"Not worthy" and yet you have to make 2 seperate replies to
my post. I'm sure my life will continue on as it always has.