2003 Gary Fisher Big Sur or Trek 8000

KR

Guest
I'm returning to mountain biking after years without one. I'll be doing
some of everything. Looking for a good all rounder. A local bike shop is
closing out last year's bikes and I'm looking to buy a 2003 Big Sur or 2003
Trek 8000. I'd like some opinions from owners or anyone who has experience
with these bikes. These seem very very similar at first glance. What are
the pros and cons of each? Why is one better than the other? Is there
anything I would need to upgrade right away on either model (I mean any
design flaws or pain inducing components)? The models I'm looking at do not
have disc brakes. Are either one of these bikes disc ready (I mean can I
add disc brakes later for a reasonable price)?

Also, if I'm 6' tall, 210 lbs., and normally proportioned (no oddly long or
short limbs :p), what frame size of Gary Fisher Big Sur or Trek 8000 would
I be looking for? The GF comes in Small, Medium, Large, and Extra Large
(It's like buying a t-shirt). The Trek comes in 15.5", 17.5", 19.5", 21.5".

I know I know I need to go sit on them and ride them. I just want to go to
the shop with as much knowledge as possible so as to avoid getting suckered.

Thanks

KR

news:[email protected]...

http://www.fisherbikes.com/index.asp

http://www.trekbikes.com/

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.

D T W .../\... <[email protected]> wrote:
> "KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I'm returning to mountain biking after years without one. I'll be
>> doing some of everything. Looking for a good all rounder. A local
>> bike shop is closing out last year's bikes and I'm looking to buy a
>> 2003 Big Sur or 2003 Trek 8000. I'd like some opinions from owners
>> or anyone who has experience with these bikes. These seem very very
>> similar at first glance. What are the pros and cons of each? Why
>> is one better than the other? Is there anything I would need to
>> upgrade right away on either model (I mean any design flaws or pain
>> inducing components)? The models I'm looking at do not have disc
>> brakes. Are either one of these bikes disc ready (I mean can I add
>> disc brakes later for a reasonable price)?
>>
>> Also, if I'm 6' tall, 210 lbs., and normally proportioned (no oddly
>> long or short limbs :p), what frame size of Gary Fisher Big Sur or
>> Trek 8000 would I be looking for? The GF comes in Small, Medium,
>> Large, and Extra Large (It's like buying a t-shirt). The Trek comes
>> in 15.5", 17.5", 19.5", 21.5".
>>
>> I know I know I need to go sit on them and ride them. I just want
>> to go to the shop with as much knowledge as possible so as to avoid
>> getting suckered.
>>
>> Thanks KR

> http://www.fisherbikes.com/index.asp
>
> http://www.trekbikes.com/
>
> --
> DTW .../\.../\.../\...
>
> I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
> The rest I've just wasted.

Good sites, but they don't offer owners' opinions.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

"KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I know I know I need to go sit on them and ride them.

Why? What would that prove? The difference between the two bikes boils
down to whether you prefer the inventor of the modern mountain bike or the
five time winner of Le Tour. When you choose a bike, you are really just
choosing a soundtrack for your ride. They all have the same/similar
components.

L or 19.5

TM wrote:
> "KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> I know I know I need to go sit on them and ride them.

> Why? What would that prove? The difference between the two bikes
> boils down to whether you prefer the inventor of the modern mountain
> bike or the five time winner of Le Tour. When you choose a bike, you
> are really just choosing a soundtrack for your ride. They all have
> the same/similar components.

Please tell us you're kidding.

> L or 19.5

Most likely right (original "size content" missing now).

Bill "frame MOST important decision" S.

Exactly. I think I already know what the manufacturer thinks on their
products...

Plus I've already been to those sites a countless times. I want to know
what riders think of the bikes.

KR

Zilla wrote:

> D T W .../\... <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> I'm returning to mountain biking after years without one. I'll be
>>> doing some of everything. Looking for a good all rounder. A local
>>> bike shop is closing out last year's bikes and I'm looking to buy a
>>> 2003 Big Sur or 2003 Trek 8000. I'd like some opinions from owners
>>> or anyone who has experience with these bikes. These seem very very
>>> similar at first glance. What are the pros and cons of each? Why
>>> is one better than the other? Is there anything I would need to
>>> upgrade right away on either model (I mean any design flaws or pain
>>> inducing components)? The models I'm looking at do not have disc
>>> brakes. Are either one of these bikes disc ready (I mean can I add
>>> disc brakes later for a reasonable price)?
>>>
>>> Also, if I'm 6' tall, 210 lbs., and normally proportioned (no oddly
>>> long or short limbs :p), what frame size of Gary Fisher Big Sur or
>>> Trek 8000 would I be looking for? The GF comes in Small, Medium,
>>> Large, and Extra Large (It's like buying a t-shirt). The Trek comes
>>> in 15.5", 17.5", 19.5", 21.5".
>>>
>>> I know I know I need to go sit on them and ride them. I just want
>>> to go to the shop with as much knowledge as possible so as to avoid
>>> getting suckered.
>>>
>>> Thanks KR

>> http://www.fisherbikes.com/index.asp
>>
>> http://www.trekbikes.com/
>>
>> --
>> DTW .../\.../\.../\...
>>
>> I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
>> The rest I've just wasted.

> Good sites, but they don't offer owners' opinions.

"KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Also, if I'm 6' tall, 210 lbs., and normally proportioned <snip>

First, don't listen to any pipsqueaks. They'll tell you how fantastic
cookie cutter bikes are because they don't weigh enough to break one
of those POS bikes under normal use. If you are going to ride instead
of pretending to ride, save your money and buy a quality bike that
will not fall apart as you ride it.

JD

So are you saying that these two bikes might fall apart?

"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Please tell us you're kidding.

Ask a silly question...

In hindsight, I should have just called him a BELLYWHACKER.

> > L or 19.5

> Most likely right (original "size content" missing now).
>
> Bill "frame MOST important decision" S.

T "agreed" M

"KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So are you saying that these two bikes might fall apart?

I think he is.

> KR
>

> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Also, if I'm 6' tall, 210 lbs., and normally proportioned <snip>

> > First, don't listen to any pipsqueaks. They'll tell you how fantastic
> > cookie cutter bikes are because they don't weigh enough to break one
> > of those POS bikes under normal use. If you are going to ride instead
> > of pretending to ride, save your money and buy a quality bike that
> > will not fall apart as you ride it.
> >
> > JD

I guess you're new here. JD is like an old record
when it comes to Treks, GF, Santa Cruz, ....
.... I forget what else!

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

"KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So are you saying that these two bikes might fall apart?
>
> KR
>

> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Also, if I'm 6' tall, 210 lbs., and normally proportioned <snip>

> > First, don't listen to any pipsqueaks. They'll tell you how fantastic
> > cookie cutter bikes are because they don't weigh enough to break one
> > of those POS bikes under normal use. If you are going to ride instead
> > of pretending to ride, save your money and buy a quality bike that
> > will not fall apart as you ride it.
> >
> > JD

I geuss you could lookat www.mtrb.com or read some magazines like MTB
Action.
Rad

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I guess you're new here. JD is like an old record
> when it comes to Treks, GF, Santa Cruz, ....
> ... I forget what else!
>
> --
> - Zilla
> Cary, NC
> (Remove XSPAM)

Whatever top-posters are riding.

> "KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > So are you saying that these two bikes might fall apart?
> >
> > KR

I'm saying they will fall apart under regular use by someone over two
hundred pounds. My guess would be the wheels and/or freehub would
fail first. The replacement of componentry will nickel and dime you
to the point you wished you had bought a good bike. Both of those
frames (as are most cookie-cutter frames) are designed and built
cheaply because the manufacturers figure most of the "mountain bikes"
they sell will not be used regularly. They bank on the fact that some
dipstick is going to see a mt dew commercial, buy their bike, ride it
once and then find out it's not as easy as it looks, so they put the
bike in the garage or on eBay. Those bikes that do get used are
factored in as a loss when they eventually get replaced under
warranty. It's "business", which sucks because they (especially trek
and fisher) sell bikes that are underdesigned and underbuilt for
regular use by those who really want to mountain bike. How does
waiting for a warranty replacement sound when the weather and trails
are perfect?

JD

> > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > "KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> news:<[email protected]>...
> > >
> > > First, don't listen to any pipsqueaks. They'll tell you how fantastic
> > > cookie cutter bikes are because they don't weigh enough to break one
> > > of those POS bikes under normal use. If you are going to ride instead
> > > of pretending to ride, save your money and buy a quality bike that
> > > will not fall apart as you ride it.
> > >
> > > JD

That's fine to tell me that I'm picking wrong, but how it doesn't really
help me unless you tell me what I should buy and why?

JD <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> I guess you're new here. JD is like an old record
>> when it comes to Treks, GF, Santa Cruz, ....
>> ... I forget what else!
>>
>> --
>> - Zilla
>> Cary, NC
>> (Remove XSPAM)

> Whatever top-posters are riding.
>
>> "KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> So are you saying that these two bikes might fall apart?
>>>
>>> KR

> I'm saying they will fall apart under regular use by someone over two
> hundred pounds. My guess would be the wheels and/or freehub would
> fail first. The replacement of componentry will nickel and dime you
> to the point you wished you had bought a good bike. Both of those
> frames (as are most cookie-cutter frames) are designed and built
> cheaply because the manufacturers figure most of the "mountain bikes"
> they sell will not be used regularly. They bank on the fact that some
> dipstick is going to see a mt dew commercial, buy their bike, ride it
> once and then find out it's not as easy as it looks, so they put the
> bike in the garage or on eBay. Those bikes that do get used are
> factored in as a loss when they eventually get replaced under
> warranty. It's "business", which sucks because they (especially trek
> and fisher) sell bikes that are underdesigned and underbuilt for
> regular use by those who really want to mountain bike. How does
> waiting for a warranty replacement sound when the weather and trails
> are perfect?
>
> JD
>
>>> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>> news:<[email protected]>...

I'm 185-190 lbs and have had my Trek Fuel 90 for 3 yrs,
avg. riding 3-4 times a week 1-1.5 hrs each ride. I've never
paid attention to dew commercials either. It's worked for me.
I don't know, or care, if it'll work for any one else. Nor do I
care if what works for anyone will work for me.

Of course I put together an SS and have ridden it exclusively
all week. How 'bout that for having my cake and eating it too! :)

KR - all of these posts are simply opinions, all or none of which
you take or leave (including this one). Find out what fits you best,
buy it and ride it!

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

"KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> That's fine to tell me that I'm picking wrong, but how it doesn't really
> help me unless you tell me what I should buy and why?
>
> KR

> > I'm saying they will fall apart under regular use by someone over two
> > hundred pounds. My guess would be the wheels and/or freehub would
> > fail first. The replacement of componentry will nickel and dime you
> > to the point you wished you had bought a good bike. Both of those
> > frames (as are most cookie-cutter frames) are designed and built
> > cheaply because the manufacturers figure most of the "mountain bikes"
> > they sell will not be used regularly. They bank on the fact that some
> > dipstick is going to see a mt dew commercial, buy their bike, ride it
> > once and then find out it's not as easy as it looks, so they put the
> > bike in the garage or on eBay. Those bikes that do get used are
> > factored in as a loss when they eventually get replaced under
> > warranty. It's "business", which sucks because they (especially trek
> > and fisher) sell bikes that are underdesigned and underbuilt for
> > regular use by those who really want to mountain bike. How does
> > waiting for a warranty replacement sound when the weather and trails
> > are perfect?
> >
> > JD

It's not too hard to figure out, so knock yourself out.

JD

On 2004-07-03, Zilla penned:

> I'm 185-190 lbs and have had my Trek Fuel 90 for 3 yrs, avg. riding
> 3-4 times a week 1-1.5 hrs each ride. I've never paid attention to dew
> commercials either. It's worked for me. I don't know, or care, if
> it'll work for any one else. Nor do I care if what works for anyone
> will work for me.

I was looking forward to reporting on many happy years of Fuelling, but
then of course the bike got run over and I got another JD favorite, the
Fisher. I really hope it doesn't have the problems that some have
reported. I can understand having bad experiences and not wanting
others to have the same miserable experience ... all I can say is, right
price, right time, got me back out onto the trail. I can't speak for
you, but I'm 100% sure that JD tackles trails (if you can even call them
that) far more brutal than I'm likely to try in the next several years.

It turns out that a really good bike shop in the area stocks Jamis, so
in a few years I may have to trade up ... then again, I've been thinking
it might be interesting (educational, anyway) to go hard tail ... and on
the third hand, I've promised myself I'll pay off a good chunk of my
debt before ponying up for more non-essentials. Damn that common sense!

--
monique

Zilla wrote:
> JD <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:<[email protected]>...
>>
>>>I guess you're new here. JD is like an old record
>>>when it comes to Treks, GF, Santa Cruz, ....
>>>... I forget what else!
>>>
>>>--
>>>- Zilla
>>> Cary, NC
>>> (Remove XSPAM)

>>Whatever top-posters are riding.
>>

>>>"KR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>I'm saying they will fall apart under regular use by someone over two
>>hundred pounds. My guess would be the wheels and/or freehub would
>>fail first. The replacement of componentry will nickel and dime you
>>to the point you wished you had bought a good bike. Both of those
>>frames (as are most cookie-cutter frames) are designed and built
>>cheaply because the manufacturers figure most of the "mountain bikes"
>>they sell will not be used regularly. They bank on the fact that some
>>dipstick is going to see a mt dew commercial, buy their bike, ride it
>>once and then find out it's not as easy as it looks, so they put the
>>bike in the garage or on eBay. Those bikes that do get used are
>>factored in as a loss when they eventually get replaced under
>>warranty. It's "business", which sucks because they (especially trek
>>and fisher) sell bikes that are underdesigned and underbuilt for
>>regular use by those who really want to mountain bike. How does
>>waiting for a warranty replacement sound when the weather and trails
>>are perfect?
>>
>>JD

>>> news:<[email protected]>...

> I'm 185-190 lbs and have had my Trek Fuel 90 for 3 yrs,
> avg. riding 3-4 times a week 1-1.5 hrs each ride. I've never
> paid attention to dew commercials either. It's worked for me.
> I don't know, or care, if it'll work for any one else. Nor do I
> care if what works for anyone will work for me.

Had my Fuel 80 for two years. I did have problems early on with a crappy
seat and a chainring that bent, both of which the dealer made better at
no cost to me. Since then I've had no problems and absolutley love the
ride. Guess that makes me another of the millions of statistical anomolies.

jem wrote:

> Had my Fuel 80 for two years. I did have problems early on with a crappy
> seat and a chainring that bent, both of which the dealer made better at
> no cost to me. Since then I've had no problems and absolutley love the
> ride. Guess that makes me another of the millions of statistical anomolies.

How much over two hundred pounds do you weigh?

-Jeff