2003 Hostelshoppe Catalog - Bacchetta is out - Volae is in

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Stratrider, Apr 15, 2003.

  1. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    So what is the inside story on Bacchetta not being represented in the catalog. Did Bacchetta pull
    out or did Hostelshoppe?

    Jim Reilly Reading, PA

    Tags:

  2. John W

    John W Guest

    Bacchetta does not allow mail-order. So why put them in a mail-order catalog.

    John

    "stratrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > So what is the inside story on Bacchetta not being represented in the catalog. Did Bacchetta pull
    > out or did Hostelshoppe?
    >
    > Jim Reilly Reading, PA

  3. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    They were in the previous catalog though (policy was the same then too) ;)

  4. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Bacchetta does not allow mail-order. So why put them in a mail-order catalog.

    But they are in the online catalog with this caveat. Rolf Sez: "To ensure competent sizing, proper
    representation and correct assembly by experienced mechanics, X-eyed is not permitting mail-order or
    internet sales of their bikes for the 2003 season. Bacchetta models are available in-store only. If
    you're not within travelling distance of Central Wisconsin, please visit www.x-eyed.com to find a
    local dealer. "

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  5. Philbert

    Philbert Guest

    To my admittedly untrained eye, the Volae bikes look like re-branded Visions or Bachetti. Am I
    hallucinating again? Or is this somebaody's way of getting more framesets out the door? Does anyone
    know who's actually producing the framesets? The catalog doesn't say and by its silence implies
    they're a Hostelshoppe product, but I don't think they're in the framebuilding business... Somebody
    please enlighten me - inquiring minds want to know!

    "stratrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > So what is the inside story on Bacchetta not being represented in the catalog. Did Bacchetta pull
    > out or did Hostelshoppe?
    >
    > Jim Reilly Reading, PA

  6. M..Leuck

    M..Leuck Guest

    Someone mentioned in a previous message they were re-branded and modified Vision bikes

    "Philbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > To my admittedly untrained eye, the Volae bikes look like re-branded
    Visions
    > or Bachetti. Am I hallucinating again? Or is this somebaody's way of getting more framesets out
    > the door? Does anyone know who's actually producing the framesets? The catalog doesn't say and by
    > its silence
    implies
    > they're a Hostelshoppe product, but I don't think they're in the framebuilding business...
    > Somebody please enlighten me - inquiring minds want to know!
    >
    > "stratrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > So what is the inside story on Bacchetta not being represented in the catalog. Did Bacchetta
    > > pull out or did Hostelshoppe?
    > >
    > > Jim Reilly Reading, PA

  7. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Phil',

    I believe the frames are manufactured by the same company that produces the frames for Vision out in Washington. They are designed by Rolf at the Hostel Shoppe though.

    It appears that the manufacturers have hit upon a somewhat universal design for the "stretched" SWB OSS (esp. the 650/650 configuration).

    I challenge you with this though...

    Line up several dozen DF road bikes or hardtails, remove the stickers, and identify them by manufacturer! See?

    R2

  8. Tom Thompson

    Tom Thompson Guest

    "R2D2" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3e9ca4[email protected]...
    > Philbert wrote:
    > > To my admittedly untrained eye, the Volae bikes look like re-branded Visions or Bachetti. Am I
    > > hallucinating again? Or is this somebaody's way of getting more framesets out the door? Does
    > > anyone know who's actually producing the framesets? The catalog doesn't say and by its silence
    > > implies they're a Hostelshoppe product, but I don't think they're in the framebuilding
    > > business... Somebody please enlighten
    me -
    > > inquiring minds want to know! "stratrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    [email protected]:[email protected]
    > > google.com...
    > > > So what is the inside story on Bacchetta not being represented in
    the
    > > > catalog. Did Bacchetta pull out or did Hostelshoppe?
    > > >
    > > > Jim Reilly Reading, PA
    >
    > Phil',
    >
    > I believe the frames are manufactured by the same company that produces the frames for Vision out
    > in Washington. They are designed by Rolf at the Hostel Shoppe though.
    >
    > It appears that the manufacturers have hit upon a somewhat universal design for the "stretched"
    > SWB OSS (esp. the 650/650 configuration).
    >
    > I challenge you with this though...
    >
    > Line up several dozen DF road bikes or hardtails, remove the stickers, and identify them by
    > manufacturer! See?
    >
    > R2

    I'm almost certain that I can identify any steel frame made by Colnago, Bianchi, Cannondale, Trek,
    Giant, Waterford, and Pinarello by the shape of the tubing [1] , the design of the rear brake
    bridge/seatstay and the fork crown, if any. They're all quite unique. And, if any are lugged, it's
    easier yet.

    There's more variance than one thinks.

    Tom Thompson

    [32] especially the down tube

  9. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    It's no big secret: visit http://www.volaerecumbents.com/ordering_info.php to see who's building
    the frames...

    > To my admittedly untrained eye, the Volae bikes look like re-branded Visions or Bachetti. Am I
    > hallucinating again? Or is this somebaody's way of getting more framesets out the door? Does
    > anyone know who's actually producing the framesets? The catalog doesn't say and by its silence
    > implies they're a Hostelshoppe product, but I don't think they're in the framebuilding business...
    > Somebody please enlighten me - inquiring minds want to know!

  10. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    John and Cletus, my curiosity got the best of me. So I called HS last night. The woman on the phone
    told me that the Folks at Bacchetta specifically asked HS not to include the Bacchetta line in their
    annual catalog I suppose because of their "buy local only" policy. Still, if someone were offering
    me free advertising, why would I say no?

    Jim

  11. Skip

    Skip Guest

    "stratrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > John and Cletus, my curiosity got the best of me. So I called HS last night. The woman on the
    > phone told me that the Folks at Bacchetta specifically asked HS not to include the Bacchetta line
    > in their annual catalog I suppose because of their "buy local only" policy. Still, if someone were
    > offering me free advertising, why would I say no?
    >
    > Jim

    As long as you are making telephone calls to satisfy your curiosity why not call Bacchetta and ask
    them? And then tell us, of course.

    skip

  12. John W

    John W Guest

    John Schlitter of Bacchetta has really become anti mail-order. I don't know why, he never had a
    problem with it when he was at Rans. If you follow this link
    http://pub65.ezboard.com/fbentrideronlinefrm1.showMessageRange?topicID=1520. topic&start=21&stop=40
    it will take you to a post on the Bentrideronline forum about Volae recumbents. Look for the post by
    jams1756, this is John stating his anti mail-order policy.

    John

    "stratrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > John and Cletus, my curiosity got the best of me. So I called HS last night. The woman on the
    > phone told me that the Folks at Bacchetta specifically asked HS not to include the Bacchetta line
    > in their annual catalog I suppose because of their "buy local only" policy. Still, if someone were
    > offering me free advertising, why would I say no?
    >
    > Jim

  13. Mike S

    Mike S Guest

    R2D2 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Philbert wrote:
    > > To my admittedly untrained eye, the Volae bikes look like re-branded Visions or Bachetti. Am I
    > > hallucinating again? Or is this somebaody's way of getting more framesets out the door? Does
    > > anyone know who's actually producing the framesets? The catalog doesn't say and by its silence
    > > implies they're a Hostelshoppe product, but I don't think they're in the framebuilding
    > > business... Somebody please enlighten me - inquiring minds want to know! "stratrider"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:e4b0c94.03041512-
    > > [email protected]:[email protected] google.com...
    > > > So what is the inside story on Bacchetta not being represented in the catalog. Did Bacchetta
    > > > pull out or did Hostelshoppe?
    > > >
    > > > Jim Reilly Reading, PA
    >
    > Phil',

    If Vision makes the frames, so what? Steve Delaire of Rotator makes not only his own frames but
    some for Easy Racers, Lightning and Barcroft. From the pictures only it appears that the rear stays
    are less vertical than the Vision but more so than the Bacchetta. But the steering, seat and
    componentry all seem different. As I am not an engineer I don't know how one can really mess with
    the frame on a high racer. Because of the seat height and bb height, to alter that configuration
    would seem to make the bike too high and thus rule out riders below what now appears to be the
    limit (5' 6"). All I can say is that Rolf knows what he is doing and I would be surprised if this
    wasn't a very nice riding unit.

    Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.

  14. John

    John Guest

    "John Schlitter of Bacchetta has really become anti mail-order. I don't know why, he never had a
    problem with it when he was at Rans."

    John Rooker is making an assumption that I was not anti-mail order when I was at RANS. I had big
    problems with it. Just could not do anything about when you own the "Company".

    John

  15. John

    John Guest

    Opps! I quoted John Werner and said it was John Rooker. Sorry for the misquote John Rooker.

    John (to many Johns) Schlitter

  16. Tom Gatherum

    Tom Gatherum Guest

    John

    I read about a lot of frame sets being sold. Are these available only through a dealer?

    Tom

    John wrote:

    > "John Schlitter of Bacchetta has really become anti mail-order. I don't know why, he never had a
    > problem with it when he was at Rans."
    >
    > John Rooker is making an assumption that I was not anti-mail order when I was at RANS. I had big
    > problems with it. Just could not do anything about when you own the "Company".
    >
    > John

  17. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "Tom Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I'm almost certain that I can identify any steel frame made by Colnago, Bianchi, Cannondale, Trek,
    > Giant, Waterford, and Pinarello by the shape of the tubing [1] , the design of the rear brake
    > bridge/seatstay and the fork crown, if any. They're all quite unique. And, if any are lugged, it's
    > easier yet.
    >
    > There's more variance than one thinks.

    Unique tubes are easy to incorporate in a factory setting. Look at the more complex fittings such as
    the dropouts and forks.

    A couple of the Portland Streamliner Gang acquired aluminum "road" bikes on closeout from Toys 'R'
    Us for $99 each. After stripping the parts off, it's impossible to tell the difference between this
    and a frame from a $800 Trek.

    Jeff