2003 Lemond Victorie Question

Blackberry

Jan 8, 2004
I've ridden the same hand-built, lugged steel "sport touring" bike for the past 20 years. It rides nicely if not aggressively, and with a new paint job, it still looks great (at least to me). But lately I've gotten the itch for a modern road bike (At age 50, my opportunities might be dwindling). My goals are recreational riding, credit card touring, local centuries, etc. While I don't want to get dropped like an ugly date, comfort is more important to me than speed.

My LBS has a 2003 ti Lemond Victoire for sale. The price is $2,000, which is more than $1200 off of the list price. While I haven't checked out everything else available, it seems about as good a deal as I'm going to find. Assuming the fit is good, I'm just about ready to jump at this baby. Before I do, I'd love to hear from anyone who has had experience with this bike--good or bad.

Originally posted by Blackberry
I've ridden the same hand-built, lugged steel "sport touring" bike for the past 20 years. It rides nicely if not aggressively, and with a new paint job, it still looks great (at least to me). But lately I've gotten the itch for a modern road bike (At age 50, my opportunities might be dwindling). My goals are recreational riding, credit card touring, local centuries, etc. While I don't want to get dropped like an ugly date, comfort is more important to me than speed.

My LBS has a 2003 ti Lemond Victoire for sale. The price is $2,000, which is more than $1200 off of the list price. While I haven't checked out everything else available, it seems about as good a deal as I'm going to find. Assuming the fit is good, I'm just about ready to jump at this baby. Before I do, I'd love to hear from anyone who has had experience with this bike--good or bad.

I rode one last year, and if it wasn't for the fact I'm able to get 'em at cost every year I would have no reason at all to get rid of it. The ride was absolutely supurb... The frame certainly lived up to all my expectations for a Titanium frame and then some. If I had to come up with a negative, it would only be the graphics. At $2,000.00 it's a steel!!! (No pun intended). :D

Originally posted by Cipher
I rode one last year, and if it wasn't for the fact I'm able to get 'em at cost every year I would have no reason at all to get rid of it. The ride was absolutely supurb... The frame certainly lived up to all my expectations for a Titanium frame and then some. If I had to come up with a negative, it would only be the graphics. At $2,000.00 it's a steel!!! (No pun intended). :D

Thanks for the insight. I totally agree with you about the graphics, but my wife likes 'em, which isn't the worst think in the world when you're trying to explain why you need to spend two grand on a bicycle.