2003 Marzocchi MX Comp troubles.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Klydesdale, Jul 8, 2003.

  1. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    Has anyone out there had troubles with bushing play in a 2003 Marzocchi MX Comp fork? I bought a new
    one a couple of weeks ago and it's already developed a clunking sound after only a couple of rides.
    When I investigated the source of the noise, it definitely felt like there was some slop between the
    stanchion and the lower leg on the right side similar to when I had worn bushings on other shocks.

    Keith L.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, klydesdale001 @comcast.net says...
    > Has anyone out there had troubles with bushing play in a 2003 Marzocchi MX Comp fork? I bought a
    > new one a couple of weeks ago and it's already developed a clunking sound after only a couple of
    > rides. When I investigated the source of the noise, it definitely felt like there was some slop
    > between the stanchion and the lower leg on the right side similar to when I had worn bushings on
    > other shocks.
    >

    > Keith L.

    Usually if your bushing is that far gone you will get oil leaking past the seal, do you see evidence
    of that? This new coil in one leg, air in the other system does make for some strange new noises.
    --
    _________________________

  3. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    "Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, klydesdale001 @comcast.net says...
    > > Has anyone out there had troubles with bushing play in a 2003 Marzocchi
    MX
    > > Comp fork? I bought a new one a couple of weeks ago and it's already developed a clunking sound
    > > after only a couple of rides. When I investigated the source of the noise, it definitely felt
    > > like there was
    some
    > > slop between the stanchion and the lower leg on the right side similar
    > > when I had worn bushings on other shocks.
    >
    > Usually if your bushing is that far gone you will get oil leaking past the seal, do you see
    > evidence of that?

    Nope. And I wouldn't expect such either. The darn fork is almost brand spanking new. It only has
    about 50 miles of dirt road under it's belt.

    >This new coil in one leg, air in the other system does make for some strange new noises.

    This is the basic Marzocchi MX Comp 85mm - not the ETA version. It's a dual coil/oil system (which
    is why I chose it). Like I said the strange noise is similar to what I've experienced with worn
    bushings and I can feel the play in the right side but not the left. I'm thinking it's problem with
    the tolerances between the bushings and stanchions. I've emailed Marzocchi to see what they have to
    say about it.

  4. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "KLydesdale"

    > This is the basic Marzocchi MX Comp 85mm - not the ETA version. It's a dual coil/oil system (which
    > is why I chose it). Like I said the strange noise is similar to what I've experienced with worn
    > bushings and I can feel the play in the right side but not the left. I'm thinking it's problem
    > with the tolerances between the bushings and stanchions. I've emailed Marzocchi to see what they
    > have to say about it.

    I would make a phone call (661 257 6630) and not rely on Marzocchi answering their email; it could
    be a long wait.
    --
    Slacker

  5. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "KLydesdale"
    >
    > > This is the basic Marzocchi MX Comp 85mm - not the ETA version. It's a
    dual
    > > coil/oil system (which is why I chose it). Like I said the strange
    noise is
    > > similar to what I've experienced with worn bushings and I can feel the
    play
    > > in the right side but not the left. I'm thinking it's problem with the tolerances between the
    > > bushings and stanchions. I've emailed Marzocchi
    > > see what they have to say about it.
    >

    > I would make a phone call (661 257 6630) and not rely on Marzocchi
    answering their email; it could be a long wait.
    > --

    When I sent them a couple of emails a few weeks back, I received replies in less than two days.