2003 Masi Gran Corsa or 2003 Trek 2300?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by 2wheel, Sep 15, 2003.

1. 2wheel

2wheel New Member

Any input?

Both bike are priced about the same at 1700 and 1750 respectively.

The 2300 has Bontrager Race Lite wheels and the Masi has Mavic Cosmos. Both are full Ultegra

Thanks!

Tags:

2. jdc2000

jdc2000 New Member

Have you test ridden both of them? If not, I'd do that before deciding. I haven't ridden the Trek, but I have ridden the Masi and I really liked that one.

3. PSR

PSR New Member

Some observations for you from someone who has worked with both.

Are you aware that Masi is not truly an Italian brand anymore? It is owned by Haro and manufactured in Taiwan. Now, there's nothing wrong with Taiwanese quality - in fact, they have surpassed the Italians at this point in my mind - but if you do have a warrany issue, it's going to be a royal pain in the butt to get it taken care of.

Next time you go into the bike shop to look, try this little test. Pinch the down tube firmly with your thumb and finger. This has little to do with ride quality or quality of craftsmanship and more to do with durability. The one which doesn't flex under the force is going to hold up better longer.

I don't know if it's a 2004 Trek you're looking at, but they're dang cool! I'd ride one if it wasn't for my Waterford...

4. PSR

PSR New Member

Oh, and a few more things - spec for spec, the Masi has lower quality wheels and fork and the sizing may make it difficult to fit correctly while the Trek comes in 7 sizes.

I for example, 6'0", 33.8" inseam, couldn't ride the Masi, whereas the 58cm Trek is a close fit. Just some things to think about.