2003 Record RD Long Cage ok w/ 13/29 ?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Iand, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. Iand

    Iand Guest

    All,

    I'm replacing my drivetrain to a campy and was wondering... With a FSA compact crank, can I use the
    Record long cage RD with a shimano 12/28 cassette ? What about a campy cassette ?

    What types problems would I encounter ?

    Thanks,

    Ian

    Tags:

  2. IanD-<< I'm replacing my drivetrain to a campy and was wondering... With a FSA compact crank, can I
    use the Record long cage RD with a shimano 12/28 cassette ? What about a campy cassette ? >><BR><BR>

    Yes to both. You can always use a longer cage for any application. No problems or issues, just
    ensure the chain is the proper length, not too long, so you have adequate chain for the
    big/big combo.

  3. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On 27 Jan 2004 21:01:32 -0800, [email protected] (IanD) wrote:

    >I'm replacing my drivetrain to a campy and was wondering... With a FSA compact crank, can I use the
    >Record long cage RD with a shimano 12/28 cassette ? What about a campy cassette ?
    >
    >What types problems would I encounter ?

    You can use the long cage model Campy rear derailleur but you don't need it. The newer, standard
    cage rear derailleurs, can accomodate the 50/34 and x/28 cogset. You can get by on lots of
    frames with a
    13/29 cassette. When you size the chain for the largest cog/ring, you want to clear the chain on
    the bottom of the rear derailleur in the small/small. A medium cage rear derailleur would allow
    you to use
    14/32 rear.

    To use campy cassettes, you need a Campy splined hub and shifters that will shift the cogset
    spacing. i.e., Shimano 9 for a Campy 9 cassette.