2003 Record RD Long Cage ok w/ 13/29 ?

Iand

Guest
All,

I'm replacing my drivetrain to a campy and was wondering... With a FSA compact crank, can I use the
Record long cage RD with a shimano 12/28 cassette ? What about a campy cassette ?

What types problems would I encounter ?

Thanks,

Ian

IanD-<< I'm replacing my drivetrain to a campy and was wondering... With a FSA compact crank, can I
use the Record long cage RD with a shimano 12/28 cassette ? What about a campy cassette ? >><BR><BR>

Yes to both. You can always use a longer cage for any application. No problems or issues, just
ensure the chain is the proper length, not too long, so you have adequate chain for the
big/big combo.

On 27 Jan 2004 21:01:32 -0800, [email protected] (IanD) wrote:

>I'm replacing my drivetrain to a campy and was wondering... With a FSA compact crank, can I use the
>Record long cage RD with a shimano 12/28 cassette ? What about a campy cassette ?
>
>What types problems would I encounter ?

You can use the long cage model Campy rear derailleur but you don't need it. The newer, standard
cage rear derailleurs, can accomodate the 50/34 and x/28 cogset. You can get by on lots of
frames with a
13/29 cassette. When you size the chain for the largest cog/ring, you want to clear the chain on
the bottom of the rear derailleur in the small/small. A medium cage rear derailleur would allow
you to use
14/32 rear.

To use campy cassettes, you need a Campy splined hub and shifters that will shift the cogset
spacing. i.e., Shimano 9 for a Campy 9 cassette.