2003 Tour de France stage 15 question

tony wrote:
> tony schrieb:
>
> > Dumbass schrieb:

> > > "According to Armstrong, his fall gave him such an adrenaline boost
> > > that he could attack."
> > >
> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Ullrich
> > >
> > > But, the OLN announcers said that sometimes people bonk if the go off
> > > on an adrenaline-fueled break. So, if it was adrenaline, it was not
> > > only adrenaline.
> > >
> > > Anyway, it seemed almost unsportmanlike for Armstrong to take off like
> > > that after Ullrich had slowed till he caught up to the group. But I
> > > guess Hamilton had told him that Ullrich had not waited.
> > >
> > > BTW what was Hamilton's gesture? Did he shoot Ullrich the bird?
> > >
> > > Interesting article on cycling ethics:
> > >
> > > http://www.csudh.edu/dearhabermas/tourdefrbk02.htm

> > "That happened in 1998, said Frankie Andreu, a former teammate of
> > Armstrong's in the U.S. Postal Service group and now a television
> > commentator.
> >
> > Andreu recalled that Sean Yates, a talented Irish rider, was allowed to
> > ride ahead to his hometown when the Tour began in Ireland. "Sean saw
> > his parents, was cheered by his friends, had a glass of Champagne and
> > then rejoined the peloton [the lead pack] when it got to his town,"
> > Andreu said. "
> >
> > I'm betting Yorkshireman Yates would be surprised to see himself
> > described as an Irishman!

> On second thought, I'm thinking maybe he's from Surrey- East Grinstead?

Born in Surrey:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Yates

Maybe he was residing in Ireland. Clearly not born Irish.

Dumbass wrote:
> Donald Munro wrote:
> > Dumbass wrote:
> > > I guess this means that Armstrong thought that Ullrich did not wait the
> > > day of the race. That might have added to Armstrong's adrenaline
> > > boost

> > Ah, the adrenaline theory resuscitated.

> "According to Armstrong, his fall gave him such an adrenaline boost
> that he could attack."
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Ullrich
>
> But, the OLN announcers said that sometimes people bonk if the go off
> on an adrenaline-fueled break. So, if it was adrenaline, it was not
> only adrenaline.
>
> Anyway, it seemed almost unsportmanlike for Armstrong to take off like
> that after Ullrich had slowed till he caught up to the group. But I
> guess Hamilton had told him that Ullrich had not waited.
>
> BTW what was Hamilton's gesture? Did he shoot Ullrich the bird?
>
> Interesting article on cycling ethics:
>
> http://www.csudh.edu/dearhabermas/tourdefrbk02.htm

It was not unsportsman like for Lance. Mayo was the first to attack
after they caught up to Jan. This is from my memory which is as
reliable as my legs.

Dumbass wrote:
> tony wrote:
>> tony schrieb:

>>> "That happened in 1998, said Frankie Andreu, a former teammate of
>>> Armstrong's in the U.S. Postal Service group and now a television
>>> commentator.
>>>
>>> Andreu recalled that Sean Yates, a talented Irish rider, was allowed to
>>> ride ahead to his hometown when the Tour began in Ireland. "Sean saw
>>> his parents, was cheered by his friends, had a glass of Champagne and
>>> then rejoined the peloton [the lead pack] when it got to his town,"
>>> Andreu said. "
>>>
>>> I'm betting Yorkshireman Yates would be surprised to see himself
>>> described as an Irishman!

>> On second thought, I'm thinking maybe he's from Surrey- East Grinstead?

> Born in Surrey:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Yates
>
> Maybe he was residing in Ireland. Clearly not born Irish.

More likely he is confused with Sean Kelly.