2003 tour

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Steve Watkin, Feb 11, 2003.

  1. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

    OK it's suggestion time. I'm planning a week away from the family during the better weather (it
    WILL come) this year so I can ride my Trice in peace! Where is a good place to tour (I'm based in
    the SE) but will take the trike anywhere if the potential is good enough. I want easy mileages
    and little traffic, camping or b/b is OK. So please share your experiences re week tours and give
    me some ideas. My first thought was Kent but it's so full of people and cars that I am having
    second thoughts. Last year I visited the Stranraer area and it was great so distance is not a
    problem but obviously time is. I don't really want to spend 2 days of my week off driving. Give
    me inspiration please!

    Tags:

  2. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Have had two one-week stints at riding a bike away from home, once in Scotland near Fort William and
    once in North Wales. Would recommend both. North Wales, went out Saturday night for a ride (having
    got there in the afternoon), not a sole around. Brill, mind you there's some nasty hills !

    Cheers, Jim.

    "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > OK it's suggestion time. I'm planning a week away from the family during the better weather (it
    WILL
    > come) this year so I can ride my Trice in peace! Where is a good place to tour (I'm based in the
    > SE) but will take the
    trike
    > anywhere if the potential is good enough. I want easy mileages and little traffic, camping or b/b
    > is OK. So please share your experiences re week tours and give me some ideas. My first thought was
    > Kent but it's so full
    of
    > people and cars that I am having second thoughts. Last year I visited the Stranraer area and it
    > was great so distance is not
    > problem but obviously time is. I don't really want to spend 2 days of my week off driving. Give me
    > inspiration please!

  3. David Adams

    David Adams Guest

    France?

    Take the bike bus through the tunnel - quick and convenient. Camping is great - get yourself the
    carvanning and camping guide from Michelin - it has a map of Pas de Calais with all the campsites
    marked. Empty roads - great food - nice camping... I have done Loire and back in 10 days from
    London. In a week go down to the Seine - Monet's place at Giverny - good site at Les Andelys.

    Thats all DAve "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > OK it's suggestion time. I'm planning a week away from the family during the better weather (it
    WILL
    > come) this year so I can ride my Trice in peace! Where is a good place to tour (I'm based in the
    > SE) but will take the
    trike
    > anywhere if the potential is good enough. I want easy mileages and little traffic, camping or b/b
    > is OK. So please share your experiences re week tours and give me some ideas. My first thought was
    > Kent but it's so full
    of
    > people and cars that I am having second thoughts. Last year I visited the Stranraer area and it
    > was great so distance is not
    > problem but obviously time is. I don't really want to spend 2 days of my week off driving. Give me
    > inspiration please!

  4. M Series

    M Series Guest

    I'd go to France if I was in the South of England, something different to the norm. If you want to
    stay at home I'd recommend West Yorkshire, that's where I live and ride. Not flat (!) but great
    scenery and some very quiet roads over the hills.

    "David Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > France?
    >
    > Take the bike bus through the tunnel - quick and convenient. Camping is great - get yourself the
    > carvanning and camping guide from Michelin - it
    has
    > a map of Pas de Calais with all the campsites marked. Empty roads - great food - nice camping... I
    > have done Loire and back in 10 days from London.
    In
    > a week go down to the Seine - Monet's place at Giverny - good site at Les Andelys.
    >
    > Thats all DAve "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > OK it's suggestion time. I'm planning a week away from the family during the better weather (it
    > WILL
    > > come) this year so I can ride my Trice in peace! Where is a good place to tour (I'm based in the
    > > SE) but will take the
    > trike
    > > anywhere if the potential is good enough. I want easy mileages and
    little
    > > traffic, camping or b/b is OK. So please share your experiences re week tours and give me some
    > > ideas. My first thought was Kent but it's so
    full
    > of
    > > people and cars that I am having second thoughts. Last year I visited the Stranraer area and it
    > > was great so distance is
    not
    > > problem but obviously time is. I don't really want to spend 2 days of
    my
    > > week off driving. Give me inspiration please!

  5. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

    West Yorkshire? Give me a town name so I can have a look on the map. Thanks for the input so far.

    SW

    "M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'd go to France if I was in the South of England, something different to the norm. If you want to
    > stay at home I'd recommend West Yorkshire, that's where I live and ride. Not flat (!) but great
    > scenery and some very quiet roads over the hills.
    >

    > "David Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > France?
    > >
    > > Take the bike bus through the tunnel - quick and convenient. Camping is great - get yourself the
    > > carvanning and camping guide from Michelin - it
    > has
    > > a map of Pas de Calais with all the campsites marked. Empty roads -
    great
    > > food - nice camping... I have done Loire and back in 10 days from
    London.
    > In
    > > a week go down to the Seine - Monet's place at Giverny - good site at
    Les
    > > Andelys.
    > >
    > > Thats all DAve "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > OK it's suggestion time. I'm planning a week away from the family during the better
    > > > weather (it
    > > WILL
    > > > come) this year so I can ride my Trice in peace! Where is a good place to tour (I'm based in
    > > > the SE) but will take the
    > > trike
    > > > anywhere if the potential is good enough. I want easy mileages and
    > little
    > > > traffic, camping or b/b is OK. So please share your experiences re
    week
    > > > tours and give me some ideas. My first thought was Kent but it's so
    > full
    > > of
    > > > people and cars that I am having second thoughts. Last year I visited the Stranraer area and
    > > > it was great so distance is
    > not
    > > > problem but obviously time is. I don't really want to spend 2 days of
    > my
    > > > week off driving. Give me inspiration please!

  6. W K

    W K Guest

    "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > West Yorkshire? Give me a town name so I can have a look on the map. Thanks for the input so far.

    I think he lives somewhere near bradford or Halifax. Nice scenery but not very holiday-ee, and
    plenty of towns. I'd suggest a bit further north/west. ie skipton and over to the start of cumbria
    or the top of the forest of boland. I don't know if I'd like to do those hills on a recumbent, too
    slow up, to scary down.

    But come on, France has more variety of terrain, cheaper hotels, better weather.

  7. "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > OK it's suggestion time. I'm planning a week away from the family during the better weather (it
    WILL
    > come) this year so I can ride my Trice in peace! Where is a good place to tour (I'm based
    > in the SE)

    France - no more to say

    Cliff

  8. M Series

    M Series Guest

    Close but no cigar, I live in Morley, West Yorkshire which is really a suburb of Leeds. I wouldn't
    recommend a holiday in Morley necessarily, as you say many towns with traffic. As this poster says
    NW of Leeds somewhere up in the Dales (Ilkley to Skipton) would be nice, I don't go up there very
    often as I like to ride from and back to home. I tend to ride due west parallelling the M62 through
    Elland and Brighouse, Ripponden then climbing up to Saddleworth Moor and home via Huddersfield.
    Sometimes I go South through Hudds, to Holme Moss and over Woodhead Pass and home. Or I go East to
    York, very flat but tiresome if its windy. Occasionally I go NW to Ilkley, turn south towards
    Keighley, through Haworth over the moor to Hebden Bridge and home. Some of this route was used on
    the Leeds Classic as was the Hudd, Holme Moss, Woodhead route I mentioned earlier. [The entire route
    is too tough for me at the moment !, even without the loops ]

    North Yorkshire is very varied with the Vale of York near York, the NY Moors and of course the Dales
    to the West of the A1. There are some interesting places to visit too, York of course, Goathland
    (Heartbeat), Reiveaux Abbey.

    If I (still) lived down south I'd be thinking about going to Belgium and trace some more of the Tour
    of Flanders route. When are you going ? There is bound to be a pro-race on in Belgium.

    "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > West Yorkshire? Give me a town name so I can have a look on the map. Thanks for the input
    > > so far.
    >
    > I think he lives somewhere near bradford or Halifax. Nice scenery but not very holiday-ee, and
    > plenty of towns. I'd suggest a bit further north/west. ie skipton and over to the start of cumbria
    > or the top of the forest of boland. I don't know if I'd like to do those hills on a recumbent, too
    > slow up, to scary down.
    >
    > But come on, France has more variety of terrain, cheaper hotels, better weather.

  9. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    M Series wrote:
    > Close but no cigar, I live in Morley

    Home of the wonderful Beryl Burton but little else.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK