2003 transport statistics

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just Zis Guy, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    <url:http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_transstats/documents/download
    able/dft_transstats_027206.pdf>

    Not entirely on track for that quadrupling of cycling by 2012...

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    Tags:

  2. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? posted ...

    <url:http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_transstats/documents/download
    > able/dft_transstats_027206.pdf>
    >
    > Not entirely on track for that quadrupling of cycling by 2012...

    I wonder if that's what they 'really' wanted ..

    Now would be the right time to introduce helmet compulsion, just to finally 'kill off' upstart
    cyclists and further clear the roads for drivers ... ;)

    --
    Paul

  3. > Now would be the right time to introduce helmet compulsion, just to finally 'kill off' upstart
    > cyclists and further clear the roads for drivers ... ;)

    I'm sure there are elements of the road lobby out there who will support a law for this reason. Many
    a true word etc.

  4. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:

    >> Now would be the right time to introduce helmet compulsion, just to finally 'kill off' upstart
    >> cyclists and further clear the roads for drivers ... ;)
    >>
    > I'm sure there are elements of the road lobby out there who will support a law for this reason.
    > Many a true word etc.

    Just out of interest, what would you do if we really did get to the stage where cyclists were banned
    from using major roads?

    I'd move abroad.

    Simon

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 21:43:19 +0000, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]>
    wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    >> Now would be the right time to introduce helmet compulsion, just to finally 'kill off' upstart
    >> cyclists and further clear the roads for drivers ... ;)

    >I'm sure there are elements of the road lobby out there who will support a law for this reason.
    >Many a true word etc.

    "I would like to see every bicycle driven from this land" [...] "And you know, when you run them
    over, they scream blue murder!"…"and very messy - makes a splat sound - you know, its absolutely
    everywhere" - Prince Michael of Kent, speaking in 1997[1].

    Prince Michael of Kent has a Road Safety Award named after him despite his history of serious
    motoring offences. He is connected with the RAC, though probably no longer the RAC foundation since
    the rescue service was sold off by the London club.

    He is apparently a supporter of BHIT. Which is consistent with his statement of 1997, I suppose...

    [1] as reported by Kirsten Denker, London Cyclist August/September 1997.

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  6. * "Simonb" <[email protected]>:

    > Just out of interest, what would you do if we really did get to the stage where cyclists were
    > banned from using major roads?
    >
    > I'd move abroad.

    You should not move to the Netherlands (cyclists are already banned from most major roads) or
    Germany (compulsary use of pavements along most major roads: The fine for using the carriageway is
    only 15 EUR and it's seldom enforced, but the behaviour of motorists is often nasty or dangerous.)
    --
    Stefan

  7. Pip

    Pip Guest

    Stefan Schulze thought it would be good to say:

    > You should not move to the Netherlands (cyclists are already banned from most major roads) or
    > Germany (compulsary use of pavements along most major roads: The fine for using the carriageway is
    > only 15 EUR and it's seldom enforced, but the behaviour of motorists is often nasty or dangerous.)

    Whilst I was in Nederland, the cycling was wonderful. Sure, cycles are banned from some major roads
    - motorways - but there were proper cycle paths nearby which made the roads pretty redundant for
    getting around by bicycle. I'd say it was a great place for cyclists.

    Pip