2003 Trek 5000

jrschultz

Jan 6, 2012
I am looking to buy my first true road bike. In conversation with this older friend of my family I found out he has a buddy looking to sell his 2003 Trek 5000. He bought it, put less than 500 miles on it, and hung it in storage. It's been sitting there ever since. I have no idea what to offer for a bike that is 9 years old, but was hardly used. I guess it was about $2200 when new. Should I offer him half of new because of the age, or less? I don't know.

9-year-old 9-speed and frame are a dated. Not that one more cog on the rear wheel is that important, but the newer and newest 10-speed systems work so much better. Not that you won't enjoy riding this old bike. It's not collectible or unique, but it sure has a lot of miles left in it.

If I were sitting on this bike I'd be really happy to be offered $1200 for it, and I'd gladly let it go for $1000. On the open market he'd be lucky to get $800

There are many important factors in selecting a bicycle. Price is important for obvious reasons. The type [of bicycle] is important as far as the intended use. Then size is important for its usability.

The right price and right type of bicycle won't be of much help... if it doesn't fit correctly and is fun and easy to ride.

We agreed on $800. I'll be looking at it Friday to test ride it and make sure it's what I want. Although outdated, I have read many good reviews about the type of carbon fiber frame this bike has. I figured it would be in my best interest to buy a 9 year old bike that originally sold for $2000 instead of spend the same amount on a modern entry level bike. Thoughts?

P.S. Sorry, I guess this is in the wrong forum section. I should have put it in the cycling equipment section I think.

Originally Posted by jrschultz .

We agreed on $800. I'll be looking at it Friday to test ride it and make sure it's what I want. Although outdated, I have read many good reviews about the type of carbon fiber frame this bike has. I figured it would be in my best interest to buy a 9 year old bike that originally sold for $2000 instead of spend the same amount on a modern entry level bike.
Nice deal. If it fits, 9-speed Ultegra (or was it 105?) on a cherry OCLV Trek is definitely preferable to Tiagra or Sora on a new aluminum frame. Even with the warranty.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat .

Nice deal. If it fits, 9-speed Ultegra (or was it 105?) on a cherry OCLV Trek is definitely preferable to Tiagra or Sora on a new aluminum frame. Even with the warranty.

From what I've read these bikes usually came with a mix of 105 and Ultegra. However, in this case the original owner had his LBS upgrade all of the 105 components to Ultegra. That's what I've been told. I'll know for sure once I look at it. I'll be posting pics if/when I get it.

I bought the bike for $800. It is in great shape. It's actually a 2004 model year, so it's one year newer than I thought. It is very light and fast. I'm very happy with my purchase. I'll post pics of it in the daylight.