2003 Trek Fuel 100

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by T_blood, Mar 11, 2003.

  1. T_blood

    T_blood Guest

    I can possibly get this bike at a decent price and am curious if anyone has any experience with it,
    and if so what your opinion is.

    Tags:

  2. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "T_Blood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I can possibly get this bike at a decent price and am curious if anyone
    has
    > any experience with it, and if so what your opinion is.

    I never liked the way Fuels rode and handled, but if you weigh my opinion against the succes they've
    had on every XC circuit around, you can see I am in the minority.

    If you can "possibly get this bike at a decent price" just buy it. If you don't fall in love with
    it, it has huge resale value, and depending on what you consider decent, you'll probably make money
    on the endeavor.

    Chris

  3. El Barista

    El Barista Guest

    "T_Blood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > I can possibly get this bike at a decent price and am curious if anyone
    has
    > any experience with it, and if so what your opinion is.

    I've got an '01 98 that I love. A friend got an '02 100 for a warranty replacement and is really
    happy with the change (he broke his 9800 OCLV and paid a few bucks to get the 100 frame). If you set
    up the suspension right it handles like a dream. It's not a big travel bike, the suspension just
    takes some of the roughness off the trail without getting a soft rear-end, couch feeling.

    But who cares what other people think. Ride the bike and see how it works for you.

    The '03 has the full carbon fiber frame doesn't it?

    -will

  4. T_blood

    T_blood Guest

    > I've got an '01 98 that I love. A friend got an '02 100 for a warranty replacement and is really
    > happy with the change (he broke his 9800 OCLV
    and
    > paid a few bucks to get the 100 frame). If you set up the suspension
    right
    > it handles like a dream. It's not a big travel bike, the suspension just takes some of the
    > roughness off the trail without getting a soft rear-end, couch feeling.
    >
    > But who cares what other people think. Ride the bike and see how it works for you.
    >
    > The '03 has the full carbon fiber frame doesn't it?
    >
    > -will

    It has OCLV 120 carbon frame. 120 grams of carbon per square meter of OCLV material. Now my question
    is WTF is OCLV?

  5. Johoo

    Johoo Guest

    OCLV = optimum compaction low void

    "T_Blood" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht news:[email protected]...
    > > I've got an '01 98 that I love. A friend got an '02 100 for a warranty replacement and is really
    > > happy with the change (he broke his 9800 OCLV
    > and
    > > paid a few bucks to get the 100 frame). If you set up the suspension
    > right
    > > it handles like a dream. It's not a big travel bike, the suspension
    just
    > > takes some of the roughness off the trail without getting a soft
    rear-end,
    > > couch feeling.
    > >
    > > But who cares what other people think. Ride the bike and see how it
    works
    > > for you.
    > >
    > > The '03 has the full carbon fiber frame doesn't it?
    > >
    > > -will
    >
    > It has OCLV 120 carbon frame. 120 grams of carbon per square meter of OCLV material. Now my
    > question is WTF is OCLV?

  6. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Johoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > OCLV = optimum compaction low void

    As I don't imagine that helped you much, T_Blood, I'll tell you what OCLV actually menas, not just
    what it stands for. The weakest parts of a carbon fiber part are those with tiny air bubbles - voids
    - in them. "Optimal Compaction" means they compact the carbon fibers the best way they know how, to
    produce "Low Void" parts. Trek says OCLV to mean "stronger than the average carbon fiber piece."

    Buy the bike regardless of our opinions. If you like it, you'll have gotten a great deal on a killer
    bike. If you don't like it (I personally never like the feel of Fuels) you can sell it. Since an
    OCLV Fuel holds value like crazy - check out ebay - and you paid less than the usual cost, you will
    probably make money, and will at worst break even. You could part it out and, through Ebay, make
    even more money. I'd be interested in the Race Lite Tubeless wheelset.

    Chris

  7. T_blood

    T_blood Guest

    > "Johoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > OCLV = optimum compaction low void
    > >

    > As I don't imagine that helped you much, T_Blood, I'll tell you what OCLV actually menas, not just
    > what it stands for. The weakest parts of a
    carbon
    > fiber part are those with tiny air bubbles - voids - in them. "Optimal Compaction" means they
    > compact the carbon fibers the best way they know
    how,
    > to produce "Low Void" parts. Trek says OCLV to mean "stronger than the average carbon
    > fiber piece."
    >
    > Buy the bike regardless of our opinions. If you like it, you'll have
    gotten
    > a great deal on a killer bike. If you don't like it (I personally never like the feel of Fuels)
    > you can sell it. Since an OCLV Fuel holds value like crazy - check out ebay - and you paid less
    > than the usual cost, you will probably make money, and will at worst break even. You could part it
    > out and, through Ebay, make even more money. I'd be interested in the
    Race
    > Lite Tubeless wheelset.
    >
    > Chris

    Thanks..now I understand. The bike is actually on ebay in Germany. It had like 12 hours left and was
    at only 1100 Euro. I was hoping it wouldn't go much higher but now it is beginning to get out of my
    price range. It is still WAY below list price, but too much for me now. Nevertheless, thanks for the
    info. I'm smarter on Treks now, plus there are a few more there I am keeping my eyes on....Mike

  8. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > Thanks..now I understand...I'm smarter on Treks now....Mike

    Be careful with that...there are many here who would tell you that being smart about Trek means
    staying the hell away from them :)

    Chris (can't talk...proudly rides Fishers)

  9. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "T_Blood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I can possibly get this bike at a decent price and am curious if anyone has any experience with
    > it, and if so what your opinion is.

    They are a joke, like all trek offerings.

    JD

  10. Baxter

    Baxter Guest

    > They are a joke, like all trek offerings.
    >
    > JD

    You're such a bafoon JD. I have to laugh at your posts (they are very entertaining) because the
    hardly ever contain any real info but always a quart of piss.

    Greg

  11. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    > "T_Blood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I can possibly get this bike at a decent price and am curious if anyone
    has
    > > any experience with it, and if so what your opinion is.
    >
    > They are a joke, like all trek offerings.
    >
    > JD

    Your an idiot JD. Of course your opinion will quietly change when you get a Trek one of these days.

  12. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  13. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    > ..::TBF::.. wrote:
    >
    > >>They are a joke, like all trek offerings.
    > >>
    > >>JD
    > >

    > > Your an idiot JD.
    >
    > You're grammar's great :)
    >
    > Of course your opinion will quietly change when you get a
    > > Trek one of these days.
    >
    > Far be it to fight JD's corner, but I think you'll find he's already owned a couple and
    > broken them.
    >
    > --
    > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    >
    > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

    and for everyone you say he's broken I know of ten others that think the Treks are the Bomb.

  14. ..::TBF::.. wrote:

    >>>Your an idiot JD.
    >>
    >>You're grammar's great :)
    >>
    >>Of course your opinion will quietly change when you get a
    >>
    >>>Trek one of these days.
    >>
    >>Far be it to fight JD's corner, but I think you'll find he's already owned a couple and
    >>broken them.
    >>
    >>--
    >>a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    >>
    >>a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
    >>

    > and for everyone you say he's broken I know of ten others that think the Treks are the Bomb.

    Thats all fine and dandy, but I know people who like ford explorers and yugos too. Doesn't make 'em
    any better....

    Jon Bond

  15. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    ..::TBF::.. wrote:

    >>Of course your opinion will quietly change when you get a
    >>
    >>>Trek one of these days.
    >>
    >>Far be it to fight JD's corner, but I think you'll find he's already owned a couple and
    >>broken them.
    >>

    > and for everyone you say he's broken I know of ten others that think the Treks are the Bomb.

    Hang on, one minute you're saying his opinion's wrong because he's not ridden Treks. And now you
    know he has ridden them, and broken them, he's not allowed to have a negative opinion because other
    people like them?

  16. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Baxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > They are a joke, like all trek offerings.
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > You're such a bafoon JD. I have to laugh at your posts (they are very entertaining) because the
    > hardly ever contain any real info but always a quart of piss.

    You forgot the vinegar, buffoon.

    JD

  17. Jd

    Jd Guest

    From: "..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > ..::TBF::.. wrote:
    >
    > >>They are a joke, like all trek offerings.
    > >>
    > >>JD
    > >

    > > Your an idiot JD.
    >
    > You're grammar's great :)
    >
    > Of course your opinion will quietly change when you get a
    > > Trek one of these days.
    >
    > Far be it to fight JD's corner, but I think you'll find he's already owned a couple and
    > broken them.
    >
    > --
    > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    >
    > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

    "and for everyone you say he's broken I know of ten others that think the Treks are the Bomb."

    If you mean "the bomb" by the fact that they explode, your 40-50 friends who ride trek bikes are
    correct. The trek full suspension bikes are like a wet noodle (until they break) and their hardtails
    snap like a twig. Disposable bikes are great for those with disposable incomes and don't mind a lot
    of downtime for warranty replacements.

    JD

  18. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    > From: "..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > > Your an idiot JD.
    > >
    > > You're grammar's great :)
    > >
    > > Of course your opinion will quietly change when you get a
    > > > Trek one of these days.
    > >
    > > Far be it to fight JD's corner, but I think you'll find he's already owned a couple and
    > > broken them.
    > >
    > > --
    > > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    > >
    > > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
    > >

    > "and for everyone you say he's broken I know of ten others that think the Treks are the Bomb."
    >
    > If you mean "the bomb" by the fact that they explode, your 40-50 friends who ride trek bikes are
    > correct. The trek full suspension bikes are like a wet noodle (until they break) and their
    > hardtails snap like a twig. Disposable bikes are great for those with disposable incomes and don't
    > mind a lot of downtime for warranty replacements.
    >
    > JD

    I'm not one to judge on looks hippie boy, but in your case I'll make an exception. I probably have
    more disposable income and time than you appear to, and I've owned several treks. The 40-50 guys you
    talk about can ride and take you apart like a watch any day of the week and none of us have ever
    broken one "like a twig" as you say. Maybe you should stop hucking them off cliffs hippie boy.

  19. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    > "T_Blood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I can possibly get this bike at a decent price and am curious if anyone has any experience with
    > > it, and if so what your opinion is.
    >
    > They are a joke, like all trek offerings.
    >
    > JD

    Spoken by some 235 pound mongrel; and by the way, he asked for opinions of those who owned the
    bike...........

  20. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    > [email protected] (JD) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "T_Blood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > I can possibly get this bike at a decent price and am curious if
    anyone has
    > > > any experience with it, and if so what your opinion is.
    > >
    > > They are a joke, like all trek offerings.
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > Spoken by some 235 pound mongrel; and by the way, he asked for opinions of those who owned the

    Exactly.

    Dude, personally I think the Trek Fuel 100 is a nice-ass bike. It's a XC machine so if your
    planning to jump or thrash it you should shop elsewhere. If your looking for a lightweight, capable
    bike it's nice.

    Other bikes in that price range have a little more travel, but you can't beat the parts spec
    on the 100.

    SID's are a joke though, if your riding your local trails which aren't as well groomed as WC
    "bike paths" you may be spending alot of time servicing that fork. I would swap those for a
    Zoke' or Black.