2003 Trek Fuel 100



Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T_blood

Guest
I can possibly get this bike at a decent price and am curious if anyone has any experience with it,
and if so what your opinion is.
 
C

Chris

Guest
"T_Blood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I can possibly get this bike at a decent price and am curious if anyone
has
> any experience with it, and if so what your opinion is.

I never liked the way Fuels rode and handled, but if you weigh my opinion against the succes they've
had on every XC circuit around, you can see I am in the minority.

If you can "possibly get this bike at a decent price" just buy it. If you don't fall in love with
it, it has huge resale value, and depending on what you consider decent, you'll probably make money
on the endeavor.

Chris
 
E

El Barista

Guest
"T_Blood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> I can possibly get this bike at a decent price and am curious if anyone
has
> any experience with it, and if so what your opinion is.

I've got an '01 98 that I love. A friend got an '02 100 for a warranty replacement and is really
happy with the change (he broke his 9800 OCLV and paid a few bucks to get the 100 frame). If you set
up the suspension right it handles like a dream. It's not a big travel bike, the suspension just
takes some of the roughness off the trail without getting a soft rear-end, couch feeling.

But who cares what other people think. Ride the bike and see how it works for you.

The '03 has the full carbon fiber frame doesn't it?

-will
 
T

T_blood

Guest
> I've got an '01 98 that I love. A friend got an '02 100 for a warranty replacement and is really
> happy with the change (he broke his 9800 OCLV
and
> paid a few bucks to get the 100 frame). If you set up the suspension
right
> it handles like a dream. It's not a big travel bike, the suspension just takes some of the
> roughness off the trail without getting a soft rear-end, couch feeling.
>
> But who cares what other people think. Ride the bike and see how it works for you.
>
> The '03 has the full carbon fiber frame doesn't it?
>
> -will

It has OCLV 120 carbon frame. 120 grams of carbon per square meter of OCLV material. Now my question
is WTF is OCLV?
 
J

Johoo

Guest
OCLV = optimum compaction low void

"T_Blood" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht news:[email protected]...
> > I've got an '01 98 that I love. A friend got an '02 100 for a warranty replacement and is really
> > happy with the change (he broke his 9800 OCLV
> and
> > paid a few bucks to get the 100 frame). If you set up the suspension
> right
> > it handles like a dream. It's not a big travel bike, the suspension
just
> > takes some of the roughness off the trail without getting a soft
rear-end,
> > couch feeling.
> >
> > But who cares what other people think. Ride the bike and see how it
works
> > for you.
> >
> > The '03 has the full carbon fiber frame doesn't it?
> >
> > -will
>
> It has OCLV 120 carbon frame. 120 grams of carbon per square meter of OCLV material. Now my
> question is WTF is OCLV?
 
C

Chris

Guest
"Johoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> OCLV = optimum compaction low void
>

As I don't imagine that helped you much, T_Blood, I'll tell you what OCLV actually menas, not just
what it stands for. The weakest parts of a carbon fiber part are those with tiny air bubbles - voids
- in them. "Optimal Compaction" means they compact the carbon fibers the best way they know how, to
produce "Low Void" parts. Trek says OCLV to mean "stronger than the average carbon fiber piece."

Buy the bike regardless of our opinions. If you like it, you'll have gotten a great deal on a killer
bike. If you don't like it (I personally never like the feel of Fuels) you can sell it. Since an
OCLV Fuel holds value like crazy - check out ebay - and you paid less than the usual cost, you will
probably make money, and will at worst break even. You could part it out and, through Ebay, make
even more money. I'd be interested in the Race Lite Tubeless wheelset.

Chris
 
T

T_blood

Guest
"Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Johoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > OCLV = optimum compaction low void
> >
>
> As I don't imagine that helped you much, T_Blood, I'll tell you what OCLV actually menas, not just
> what it stands for. The weakest parts of a
carbon
> fiber part are those with tiny air bubbles - voids - in them. "Optimal Compaction" means they
> compact the carbon fibers the best way they know
how,
> to produce "Low Void" parts. Trek says OCLV to mean "stronger than the average carbon
> fiber piece."
>
> Buy the bike regardless of our opinions. If you like it, you'll have
gotten
> a great deal on a killer bike. If you don't like it (I personally never like the feel of Fuels)
> you can sell it. Since an OCLV Fuel holds value like crazy - check out ebay - and you paid less
> than the usual cost, you will probably make money, and will at worst break even. You could part it
> out and, through Ebay, make even more money. I'd be interested in the
Race
> Lite Tubeless wheelset.
>
> Chris

Thanks..now I understand. The bike is actually on ebay in Germany. It had like 12 hours left and was
at only 1100 Euro. I was hoping it wouldn't go much higher but now it is beginning to get out of my
price range. It is still WAY below list price, but too much for me now. Nevertheless, thanks for the
info. I'm smarter on Treks now, plus there are a few more there I am keeping my eyes on....Mike
 
C

Chris

Guest
> Thanks..now I understand...I'm smarter on Treks now....Mike
>

Be careful with that...there are many here who would tell you that being smart about Trek means
staying the hell away from them :)

Chris (can't talk...proudly rides Fishers)
 
J

Jd

Guest
"T_Blood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I can possibly get this bike at a decent price and am curious if anyone has any experience with
> it, and if so what your opinion is.

They are a joke, like all trek offerings.

JD
 
B

Baxter

Guest
> They are a joke, like all trek offerings.
>
> JD

You're such a bafoon JD. I have to laugh at your posts (they are very entertaining) because the
hardly ever contain any real info but always a quart of ****.

Greg
 
T

..::Tbf::..

Guest
"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> ..::TBF::.. wrote:
>
> >>They are a joke, like all trek offerings.
> >>
> >>JD
> >
> >
> > Your an idiot JD.
>
> You're grammar's great :)
>
> Of course your opinion will quietly change when you get a
> > Trek one of these days.
>
> Far be it to fight JD's corner, but I think you'll find he's already owned a couple and
> broken them.
>
> --
> a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
>
> a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
>

and for everyone you say he's broken I know of ten others that think the Treks are the Bomb.
 
J

Jonathan Bond

Guest
..::TBF::.. wrote:
> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>..::TBF::.. wrote:
>>
>>
>>>>They are a joke, like all trek offerings.
>>>>
>>>>JD
>>>
>>>
>>>Your an idiot JD.
>>
>>You're grammar's great :)
>>
>>Of course your opinion will quietly change when you get a
>>
>>>Trek one of these days.
>>
>>Far be it to fight JD's corner, but I think you'll find he's already owned a couple and
>>broken them.
>>
>>--
>>a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
>>
>>a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
>>
>
>
> and for everyone you say he's broken I know of ten others that think the Treks are the Bomb.

Thats all fine and dandy, but I know people who like ford explorers and yugos too. Doesn't make 'em
any better....

Jon Bond
 
B

Bomba

Guest
..::TBF::.. wrote:

>>Of course your opinion will quietly change when you get a
>>
>>>Trek one of these days.
>>
>>Far be it to fight JD's corner, but I think you'll find he's already owned a couple and
>>broken them.
>>
>
> and for everyone you say he's broken I know of ten others that think the Treks are the Bomb.

Hang on, one minute you're saying his opinion's wrong because he's not ridden Treks. And now you
know he has ridden them, and broken them, he's not allowed to have a negative opinion because other
people like them?

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm

b.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
 
J

Jd

Guest
"Baxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> > They are a joke, like all trek offerings.
> >
> > JD
>
> You're such a bafoon JD. I have to laugh at your posts (they are very entertaining) because the
> hardly ever contain any real info but always a quart of ****.

You forgot the vinegar, buffoon.

JD
 
J

Jd

Guest
From: "..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ..::TBF::.. wrote:
>
> >>They are a joke, like all trek offerings.
> >>
> >>JD
> >
> >
> > Your an idiot JD.
>
> You're grammar's great :)
>
> Of course your opinion will quietly change when you get a
> > Trek one of these days.
>
> Far be it to fight JD's corner, but I think you'll find he's already owned a couple and
> broken them.
>
> --
> a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
>
> a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
>

"and for everyone you say he's broken I know of ten others that think the Treks are the Bomb."

If you mean "the bomb" by the fact that they explode, your 40-50 friends who ride trek bikes are
correct. The trek full suspension bikes are like a wet noodle (until they break) and their hardtails
snap like a twig. Disposable bikes are great for those with disposable incomes and don't mind a lot
of downtime for warranty replacements.

JD
 
T

..::Tbf::..

Guest
"JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> From: "..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > ..::TBF::.. wrote:
> >
> > >>They are a joke, like all trek offerings.
> > >>
> > >>JD
> > >
> > >
> > > Your an idiot JD.
> >
> > You're grammar's great :)
> >
> > Of course your opinion will quietly change when you get a
> > > Trek one of these days.
> >
> > Far be it to fight JD's corner, but I think you'll find he's already owned a couple and
> > broken them.
> >
> > --
> > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
> >
> > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
> >
>
> "and for everyone you say he's broken I know of ten others that think the Treks are the Bomb."
>
> If you mean "the bomb" by the fact that they explode, your 40-50 friends who ride trek bikes are
> correct. The trek full suspension bikes are like a wet noodle (until they break) and their
> hardtails snap like a twig. Disposable bikes are great for those with disposable incomes and don't
> mind a lot of downtime for warranty replacements.
>
> JD

I'm not one to judge on looks hippie boy, but in your case I'll make an exception. I probably have
more disposable income and time than you appear to, and I've owned several treks. The 40-50 guys you
talk about can ride and take you apart like a watch any day of the week and none of us have ever
broken one "like a twig" as you say. Maybe you should stop hucking them off cliffs hippie boy.
 
M

MTBScottie

Guest
[email protected] (JD) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "T_Blood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > I can possibly get this bike at a decent price and am curious if anyone has any experience with
> > it, and if so what your opinion is.
>
> They are a joke, like all trek offerings.
>
> JD

Spoken by some 235 pound mongrel; and by the way, he asked for opinions of those who owned the
bike...........
 
T

..::Tbf::..

Guest
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (JD) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "T_Blood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > > I can possibly get this bike at a decent price and am curious if
anyone has
> > > any experience with it, and if so what your opinion is.
> >
> > They are a joke, like all trek offerings.
> >
> > JD
>
> Spoken by some 235 pound mongrel; and by the way, he asked for opinions of those who owned the
> bike...........

Exactly.

Dude, personally I think the Trek Fuel 100 is a nice-ass bike. It's a XC machine so if your
planning to jump or thrash it you should shop elsewhere. If your looking for a lightweight, capable
bike it's nice.

Other bikes in that price range have a little more travel, but you can't beat the parts spec
on the 100.

SID's are a joke though, if your riding your local trails which aren't as well groomed as WC
"bike paths" you may be spending alot of time servicing that fork. I would swap those for a
Zoke' or Black.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.