2003 Ultegra crank & derailleur compatibility with 7-speed RSX STI shifters&sprocket?

LoWang

Apr 20, 2005
Hello Everyone,
This will be my first post here. Here goes:
I recently acquired a used 2003 Jamis Eclipse frameset that came with a 2003 9-speed ultegra triple crank and rear derailleur. Until I can afford to equipe it with the Campy-Centaur group, I would like to use some old Shimano-RSX components from my old bike. Would the 2003 Ultegra crank (52-42-30) and rear derailler (long cage) work with RSX 7-speed components; the chain, sprockets (12 to 28) and STI (triple group) shifters?

Also which front triple derailler should I get (Hope to get one cheap off of ebay)? Would it have to be an older seven-speed model to accomodate the wider hyper-glide chain? Or could I use a new 9 speed derailleur from the ultegra, 105 or tiagra group or the one from the 8-speed sora group (the last two hardly show up on ebay)?

LoWang said:
Hello Everyone,
This will be my first post here. Here goes:
I recently acquired a used 2003 Jamis Eclipse frameset that came with a 2003 9-speed ultegra triple crank and rear derailleur. Until I can afford to equipe it with the Campy-Centaur group, I would like to use some old Shimano-RSX components from my old bike. Would the 2003 Ultegra crank (52-42-30) and rear derailler (long cage) work with RSX 7-speed components; the chain, sprockets (12 to 28) and STI (triple group) shifters?

Also which front triple derailler should I get (Hope to get one cheap off of ebay)? Would it have to be an older seven-speed model to accomodate the wider hyper-glide chain? Or could I use a new 9 speed derailleur from the ultegra, 105 or tiagra group or the one from the 8-speed sora group (the last two hardly show up on ebay)?
It works. Get a 105 9 speed FD.8 speed sora will work too.