2003 World Championships (road) questions...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Todd Flom, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Todd Flom

    Todd Flom Guest

    I would like to take advantage of viewing the 2003 WC with it being a rare visit to North America. I
    have a few questions.

    1. Any recommendations on accommodations? Any thing reasonable priced located on the road circuit?
    (<$125 USD/night)

    2. Is there any charge for viewing any of the races?

    3. Is there an opportunity to ride any of the courses when they are not in use? Any good riding in
    Hamilton other than the race courses?

    Thanks in advance,

    Todd

    Tags:

  2. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    On 7 Jan 2003, Todd Flom wrote:

    > I would like to take advantage of viewing the 2003 WC with it being a rare visit to North America.
    > I have a few questions.
    >
    > 1. Any recommendations on accommodations? Any thing reasonable priced located on the road
    > circuit? (<$125 USD/night)

    Do a google search of my name over the past couple of months. I gave a fairly exhaustive treatment
    of this question with website suggestions. The closest hotels that shouldn't be booked for riders,
    officials or support staff would be Visitors Inn and the Admiral Inn. You can always try the
    Sheraton, Park Hyatt and Howard Johnson for the off chance they still have rooms available, but they
    are pricey.

    > 2. Is there any charge for viewing any of the races?

    I wouldn't put it past City Council to decide to charge for grandstand seating in the start/finish
    area, but there are better locations for exciting action.

    > 3. Is there an opportunity to ride any of the courses when they are not in use? Any good riding
    > in Hamilton other than the race courses?

    I don't know about the first question, but there is plenty of excellent riding in the Hamilton area.
    A number of national calibre riders train in the area, and several world class women's riders chose
    Hamilton as their home base (Clara Hughes, Sue Palmer come to mind). I won't be living in Hamilton
    by then or I would organize group rides, but there are three area shops that have weekly group rides
    that should still be operating at that time of year: Pierik's Cycle (http://www.pierikscycle.com/)
    Freewheel Cycle (http://www.freewheelcycle.com/) Neworld Cycle
    (http://www.neworldcycle.com/home.asp) <--hardcore group

    Contact them for details.

    ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [email protected] Kyle Legate [email protected]

    Tower of Tongues:Thursday PM:10:30-11:30 EDT:http://cfmu.mcmaster.ca moon
    musick:ritual:IDM:experimental(electronica):minimalism:glitch