2003 XTR shifting counterintuitive???

woodsrider

Jul 7, 2003
I'm a newbie on the site, so pardon me if this subject has been hashed out in a previous post.

Is it just me, or does the shifting seem bass ackwards? In other words, it just seems more intuitive for me to push down on the brake lever to shift to a lower gear (bigger rear cog), and pull up on the lever to shift to a taller gear (smaller rear cog).

I just got a new SC Blur built out, and it's kinda weird so far. Maybe I'll adapt soon. Any thoughts??:confused:

Originally posted by woodsrider
I'm a newbie on the site, so pardon me if this subject has been hashed out in a previous post.

Is it just me, or does the shifting seem bass ackwards? In other words, it just seems more intuitive for me to push down on the brake lever to shift to a lower gear (bigger rear cog), and pull up on the lever to shift to a taller gear (smaller rear cog).

I just got a new SC Blur built out, and it's kinda weird so far. Maybe I'll adapt soon. Any thoughts??:confused:

I'm sorry, I can't get past the fact that you have a blur....

do you love it?

I just got it built up the day before going on an inlaw visit in deep East Texas. I brought my SC Superlight to do some road riding while I'm here. I'm deep in bubba-ville -- I haven't even seen a bike on the road. When I rode my SL yesterday, people looked at me like I had just flown in from Mars.

I rode the Blur just a little before leaving. The lack of pedal bob is really nice. I can't wait to get it in the rocky singletrack around town in Colorado!

I found the XTR shifting totally intuitive. I really liked the fact that the spring pulls the rear mech onto lower gears rather than onto higher ones. Allowed me to pop it down several gears really quickly. That said I rode with a guy who had a conventional rear mech rigged up with them so you could pull up for a higher gear...

frey:

I'll give it some more time. As I mentioned, I don't have much time on the bike. I did like the ease of shifting to lower gears -- that was a pleasant surprise.

It is odd, but I expect you will get used to it :)

HOPEFULLY I am going to get to test ride a Blur in a day or two, I am still trying to decide between a Truth and a Blur.

Topmounter:
I also looked at the Truth and the Id. But I really wanted to try the Blur's VPP rear linkage. So far, I like it a lot. I had my Blue set up with the new Progressive 5th Element air shock in the back -- it's ultra smooth!! (much better than the Fox on my old Superlight). Ellsworth might have a little better "finish", but it's probably not worth the extra $500, in my opinion. So far, so good with the SC Blur.

My deal on the shifting is that I feel like I should be pulling up on the levers to go to a taller gear and pushing down on the levers to go to a lower gear. I adjusting, but it's taking some time. I still shift the wrong way occassionally.:eek:

I, too, thought the new XTR was going to be counter-intuitive. In fact I was planning on putting a 2002 XTR deraillier on my new bike with the 2003 XTR shifters because it made more sense. Of course, I was talked out of it. I went with the full 2003 XTR set-up and left the thumb paddles (shifters) on to get used to it. I have never used them and love the way shifting works.

If you're not used to it by now you will get used to it.

I also love the Blur. I'm glad I built it with the new XTR goods.

I picked up a Blur with the Fox AVA rear and a Float 100RLC on the front.

Very nice, I am still getting used to it, but so far so awesome ;)

The build quality isn't terrible, but as with the Blurs I test rode, I am getting little bits of metal clanking around inside the frame. They seem to be little bits of **** (or whatever thye call it when welding aluminum) off the welds that wasn't cleaned out properly during manufacture. Functionally not an issue, but very annoying, I just hope I can fish them out somehow.

Cable routing in a couple places is a little too close to the welds for my tastes as well, but again, doesn't affect the functionality.

I probably should have sprung for the Fox fork with the inertia valve (RLT or some such thing). The rear end of the Blur is AWESOME, but to really enjoy it hammering on the climbs (especially out of the saddle) it seems that locking out the front fork is mandatory. This isn't such a big deal on long climbs, but for more rolling terrain it gets a little annoying.

Maybe as I get the setup dialed in a little better locking out the fork won't be need so much.

I agree with fellow readers here in that You'll get used to the gear selection arrangement in time. Blurs can be noisy.
You ride the Superlight on the road?? Hmm? I race mine (SC SL) XC and it's delivered everytime. No fuss or complaints. Superb lightweight off road weapon that soaks up the hammer on rocky descends and twisty off cambered single track, sweet. A riding buddy races a Blur and he seems to have no qualms either despite what other peeps have written.

Enjoys tearing the trails,