2004 Bontrager XLite Wieght

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Matt, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Does anyone know the wieght of these wheels versus the 2003 machined XLites that mavic got all
    roided out about. TIA.

    Tags:

  2. > Does anyone know the wieght of these wheels versus the 2003 machined
    XLites
    > that mavic got all roided out about. TIA.

    Don't have an honest weight yet on the '04 product (it will be a fair amount lighter, but not due to
    a change in rim design), but the '03 wheels, *without* the carved-out sections as found on a Mavic,
    are actually lighter than those with the cut-away material. The reason is simple- to keep the rim
    strong enough when shaved away, they had to beef up the wall thicknesses.

  3. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Is there any literature out there with the '03 wieghts machined vs non machines X-Lites? TIA.

    > > Does anyone know the wieght of these wheels versus the 2003 machined
    > XLites
    > > that mavic got all roided out about. TIA.
    >
    > Don't have an honest weight yet on the '04 product (it will be a fair
    amount
    > lighter, but not due to a change in rim design), but the '03 wheels, *without* the carved-out
    > sections as found on a Mavic, are actually
    lighter
    > than those with the cut-away material. The reason is simple- to keep the rim strong enough when
    > shaved away, they had to beef up the wall thicknesses.

  4. > Is there any literature out there with the '03 wieghts machined vs non machines X-Lites?

    I don't know about literature, but when I weighed the rims (just the rims; I was rebuilding a
    smashed wheel) there was a 20 gram difference per rim.

    "Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is there any literature out there with the '03 wieghts machined vs non machines X-Lites? TIA.
    >
    > "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Does anyone know the wieght of these wheels versus the 2003 machined
    > > XLites
    > > > that mavic got all roided out about. TIA.
    > >
    > > Don't have an honest weight yet on the '04 product (it will be a fair
    > amount
    > > lighter, but not due to a change in rim design), but the '03 wheels, *without* the carved-out
    > > sections as found on a Mavic, are actually
    > lighter
    > > than those with the cut-away material. The reason is simple- to keep
    the
    > > rim strong enough when shaved away, they had to beef up the wall thicknesses.
    > >
    > > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  5. Matt

    Matt Guest

    That works for me. Thanks! Makes you wonder why they machined the rims in the first place,
    marketing? "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Is there any literature out there with the '03 wieghts machined vs non machines X-Lites?
    >
    > I don't know about literature, but when I weighed the rims (just the rims;
    > was rebuilding a smashed wheel) there was a 20 gram difference per rim.

    > "Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Is there any literature out there with the '03 wieghts machined vs non machines X-Lites? TIA.
    > >
    > > "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > XLites
    > > >
    > > > Don't have an honest weight yet on the '04 product (it will be a fair
    > > amount
    > > > lighter, but not due to a change in rim design), but the '03 wheels, *without* the carved-out
    > > > sections as found on a Mavic, are actually
    > > lighter
    > > > than those with the cut-away material. The reason is simple- to keep
    > the
    > > > rim strong enough when shaved away, they had to beef up the wall thicknesses.
    > > >
    > > > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  6. > That works for me. Thanks! Makes you wonder why they machined the rims in the first place,
    > marketing?

    To the extent that aesthetics is a part of marketing, absolutely. That wheels work is rather boring;
    that they look cool is what helps to separate one from another.