2004 Campagnolo Veloce vs. Campagnolo Centaur

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JüRgen Hartwig

I am anxiously awaiting a new bike built upon an Interloc Scandium frameset. The assembly has not
begun, and the shop, www.glorycycles.com, has given me a gruppo options within my budget.

The base groupset is 2004 Campagnolo Veloce 10 spd. For an extra $100, I can get 2003 Campagnolo
Centaur 10 spd. Add another $50, and I can run 2004 Centaur (grey finish). Clive @ Glory Cycles
asserts the differences in 2004 Veloce and Centaur are tiny with different cosmetic cutouts in the
components, and similiar weight.

Mainly for cosmetics, we chose an FSA Pro Team crankset and FSA bottom bracket. I noticed the
Centaur/Veloce BB is heavier than the higher end Campy gear. Knowing I would be tempted to
"upgrade," I decided it would be cheaper to install the FSA now and get a full credit for the
Campy crank.

Also, for cosmetics (please don't flame me), Clive suggests a handbuilt wheelset with black Mirage
hubs, black spokes, and black IRD Cadence rims.

What gruppo would you run? The $150 spread is not going to break my budget.

I have read (don't know if it is true) the Veloce/Mirage hubs are pretty heavy compared to the
better Campagnolo hubs. 675grams for Mirage, 699 grams for Veloce and 513 grams for Centaur. I am
not a weight weenie, but if I can get lightness without breaking the bank, I will go for it.

I am a recreational rider (6'0", 155 lbs) doing 150 miles/week. I am confident any parts we use will
be spectacular and durable, but this is my first NEW bike, and I want it just right. The
anticipation is killing me.
:)

Thanks in advance. Jürgen

2003 Campy Centaur. The Centaur/Chorus/Record hubs are essentially the same very nice design - and I
don't particularly like components that aren't a shiny silver.

Take the fifty bones you saved and get yourself something trick for your bike or some clothes.

My 0.02.

App

Status
Not open for further replies.