2004 Campy Chorus vs. 2003 Campy Record

yayaya

Aug 25, 2003
I know by looking on paper what the differences are between the two groupsets, I.e. different bolts, slightly more carbon on the Record and such but is thier any BIG difference other than price?

Originally posted by yayaya
I know by looking on paper what the differences are between the two groupsets, I.e. different bolts, slightly more carbon on the Record and such but is thier any BIG difference other than price?
Nope

I had the choice between the 2004 Chorus and the 2003 Record.
I went for the record because it's a bit lighter but really there shouldn't be much difference in shifting quality or overall performance

Is it really lighter? do u know which parts would be lighter? I was of the opinion (until now) that they were in fact identical.

Both are great groupo's in there own right.

If you plan on keeping your bike for several years w/these components , I'd recommend going for the 2004 Chorus(to save some money)........... but I'd make a deal with who ever your going through to definitly GET THE RECORD Hubs + Bottom BRACKET !!!!!!!!

Anything spinning..........rotating........... you want Record, trust me... its worth the extra $100 .. or so.:)

If you plan on keeping your bike for several years w/these components , I'd recommend going for the 2004 Chorus(to save some money)........... but I'd make a deal with who ever your going through to definitly GET THE RECORD Hubs + Bottom BRACKET !!!!!!!!

Anything spinning..........rotating........... you want Record, trust me... its worth the extra $100 .. or so.:)

Does Campy chorus have the same shifting "feel" as record?I've got dura ace 10 on my race bike but am thinking of getting a second bike built up with chorus.From what I've heard campy lasts longet than shimano as well.Any truth to this?

Originally posted by HandyAndy
Does Campy chorus have the same shifting "feel" as record?I've got dura ace 10 on my race bike but am thinking of getting a second bike built up with chorus.From what I've heard campy lasts longet than shimano as well.Any truth to this?

What do you mean by "shifting feel " ? Do you mean in regards to how the shift/break ergo lever is set up ?

it's probably the size of the shift levers, but I've found I can't quite get Record FD to upshift with as little motion and effort as with DA FD. the DA shift lever is longer, therefore less movement is needed.

a second comment on DA vs. Record... after 50 or 60 miles in varied terrain, my right thumb gets sore from shifting the RD.

I ride both Record (on the Merckx) and DA (on the Dean)... and I think Record does wear better than DA. Chorus may even wear better than DA ...

From what I've heard campy lasts longet than shimano as well.Any truth to this?

Not to get into a Campag/Shimano debate but the only shifter I've had fail on me was 8spd Chorus. Never had problems with any Shimano setup. Cannot comment on the 10spd groupsets.

Originally posted by Adam-from-SLO

Yeah I was already thiniking along these same lines, Record hubs for sure wasnt so sure if the Record hub would seem much different.

Price point for Chorus is $924, Record is 1279, both of these are minus headset and hubset. I'll look at hubs down the road. They (Texas Cyclesport) are offering a $100 credit if you go with the 03 Rd and Crankset. Why not?

On a side note, don't let this turn into a Shimano/Campy debate, both groups are awesome, I just want to try Campy, Ive never used it other than just riding someones bike around the parking lot. Intersting note about the thumb of one poster feeling tired after 50-60 miles of varied terrain, anyone else have similar feelings?

Originally posted by Adam-from-SLO

And the bearings in a a record BB are different or you just get a nifty CF shell??

Since I went with the FSA cranks and BB, I was perfectly comfortable with the choice of 2004 Chorus.

I was also thinking of going with the FSA cranks.They really are good value compared to campy.Has anyone used a campy drivetrain with the mavic m10 cassette(the cassette that lets you use a shimano freehub).I'm curious as to how this would affect performance.

Otherwise the 04 chorus looks fantastic!

From what I've heard campy lasts longet than shimano as well.Any truth to this?

Well, there's this saying that often gets used in Campag vs. Shimano discussions: "Campag wears in, Shimano wears out". I dunno how true it is personally, I use both and have never had anything break on me.

I was also thinking of going with the FSA cranks.They really are good value compared to campy.Has anyone used a campy drivetrain with the mavic m10 cassette(the cassette that lets you use a shimano freehub).I'm curious as to how this would affect performance.

Otherwise the 04 chorus looks fantastic!

I'm using an American Classic Campy conversion cassette on a Cane Creek wheel, fwiw.

Originally posted by mjw_byrne
Well, there's this saying that often gets used in Campag vs. Shimano discussions: "Campag wears in, Shimano wears out". I dunno how true it is personally, I use both and have never had anything break on me.
Me neither. It's just more BS like 'steel is real', form folks who have nothing of real value to add.

Originally posted by boudreaux
And the bearings in a a record BB are different or you just get a nifty CF shell??

Good question. And is Veloce inferior, short of being heavier?

Originally posted by Aztec
Good question. And is Veloce inferior, short of being heavier?
centaur and veloce BB are a whole different deal, and not in the same class.