2004 Cannondale r2000 v. 2004 Cervelo Soloist (w/ultegra)

m23

Mar 11, 2004
Anyone strongly FOR or AGAINST either of these bikes? Which would you choose?

Definitely the Cervelo; much better design, more comfortable ride and faster.

I have yet to meet a Cannondale that I like.

I have the 2004 Soloist Team (with Campy and Spartacus Pro wheels). I absolutely love it. I didn't know how I'd feel about the sloping top tube, having started cycling in the early 80s when that was unthinkable. But I actually really like it. And because of the long seatpost (carbon), the ride is really darn smooth. Not so with the Cannondale. I've ridden high end C-dales and were unimpressed with the ride. The Cervelo ride rivals my carbon Colnago (dammit), and is always my choice for longer rides, despite having set up the bars a full 3 cm lower.

The added bonus is that it works just fine in the aero position as well. I can get to an effective 77 degrees or so, and that's more that I need for aggressiveness. I like my position at more like 75 or 76 degrees.

My one gripe, and it's WAY minimal, is that for some reason, I can rub the front deraileur when on the big ring and out of the saddle (despite adjustments). Can't do that on my Colnago. And I'm just 160 lbs. It could still very well be my inept adjustment abilities, though. The frame is known for having a stiff BB.

100%, no doubt, go Cervelo. If you can find one...