2004 Dura-Ace Cranks preview

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Nicholas, Apr 12, 2003.

  1. Nicholas

    Nicholas Guest

    Tags:

  2. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    Fugly, IMO.

    App

    [email protected] (Nicholas) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Here are two links previewing the 2004 Dura-Ace cranks:
    >
    > a 4/8/03 entry at the LanceArmstrong.com site:
    > http://www.lancearmstrong.com/lance/online2.nsf/Docs/F63F821C2C796DD786256D020078FEAD
    >
    > a 4/11/03 "tech talk" article at the VeloNews site
    > http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/3728.0.html
    >
    > As discussed here before, the bottom bracket, and left crank to spindle attachment, are of the
    > same design as 2003 XTR.

  3. Pete<< Fugly, IMO.

    If ya like BMX cranks, you will like this, i guess. I wonder about older DA stuff tho. We are having
    problems finding 2002 XTR rear ders and fders, shift pods already...

    I think by end of 2004, DA BBs, rders, will be hard to find.

  4. Bluto

    Bluto Guest

    [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

    > If ya like BMX cranks, you will like this, i guess. I wonder about older DA stuff tho. We are
    > having problems finding 2002 XTR rear ders and fders, shift pods already...
    >
    > I think by end of 2004, DA BBs, rders, will be hard to find.

    That's the point, Peter. Make it a hassle for riders to keep what they've got on the road, while
    dangling a fashionable-looking new bauble to tempt them. If you can make the whole system
    incompatible with anybody else's components while you're at it, all the better.

    Bullseye's crank is still the real thing, even if Shimano waited 17 long years to copy the design.

    Chalo Colina

  5. Also heard that the 2004 DA rder will be 'rapid-rise', now that's a good idea...(not)

  6. Mark Lee

    Mark Lee Guest

    > Also heard that the 2004 DA rder will be 'rapid-rise', now that's a good idea...(not)

    I saw a Shimano groupset on my ride this morning where the gear cables were routed under the
    handlebar tape. There was a loop out from the side of the levers, then it was gobbled up by the
    tape. Supposedly works fine. Will the new DA set be hidden-cable like the Campag? Mark Lee

  7. Alan

    Alan Guest

    > >Fugly, IMO.
    >
    > Agreed. Especially the non-drive side.

    What's wrong with it? I think it looks fine. It's a crank arm, how bad or good can it look?

    alan

  8. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Bluto) wrote:

    > [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:
    >
    > > If ya like BMX cranks, you will like this, i guess. I wonder about older DA stuff tho. We are
    > > having problems finding 2002 XTR rear ders and fders, shift pods already...
    > >
    > > I think by end of 2004, DA BBs, rders, will be hard to find.
    >
    > That's the point, Peter. Make it a hassle for riders to keep what they've got on the road, while
    > dangling a fashionable-looking new bauble to tempt them. If you can make the whole system
    > incompatible with anybody else's components while you're at it, all the better.

    Once we see the rest of the new Dura-Ace group, we can all argue about whether or not it is change
    for change's sake, but blaming Shimano for not having backward compatibility seems unfair.

    My 8-speed Pinarello (converted from 6-speed DT) is no hassle to keep on the road, and the choice of
    freewheels for my friction-shifting 5-speed mountain bike is better than it was when the thing was
    new; are my local bike shops just better-stocked than the ones near you, Chalo?

    Some of this complaining seems to be not that the parts people want aren't available, but that
    they're no longer available brand-new or with the Dura-Ace name on them.

    > Bullseye's crank is still the real thing, even if Shimano waited 17 long years to copy the design.

    So...are you annoyed that Brand S changed their design, thus rendering all others obsolete, or are
    you pleased that they have adapted and copied an excellent concept, even though it is incompatible
    with their previous BB/crank system?