2004 Dura Ace Triple

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gary, Jun 16, 2003.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Anybody know if the new 10-speed Dura Ace will be available in a triple in 2004 or must I wait a
    while? Gary

    Tags:

  2. > Anybody know if the new 10-speed Dura Ace will be available in a triple in 2004 or must I wait a
    > while? Gary

    Word on the street is that you must wait until '05. Product managers (for various bike lines) were
    quoted in the latest Bicycle Retailer and Industry News as not being terribly happy about this.

  3. gary asks-<< Anybody know if the new 10-speed Dura Ace will be available in a triple in 2004 or must
    I wait a while? >><BR><BR>

    No 10s triple in shimano's lineup for 2004, which I think is a big mistake....

    You could cobble one together with a right 10s lever, left DA triple lever, all else triple from DA,
    but the 'new' shape of the 10s lever makes this look goofy. Plus single 10s levers are go9ong to be
    a long time in coming...

    Or just get a Campagnolo 10s triple, something they have been doin' for a few years now....

  4. On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 23:09:48 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Word on the street is that you must wait until '05. Product managers (for various bike lines) were
    >quoted in the latest Bicycle Retailer and Industry News as not being terribly happy about this.

    So you should just buy an '04 DA 10 speed rear/right shifter and an '03 Triple front/left shifter?

    Jasper

  5. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    "Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Anybody know if the new 10-speed Dura Ace will be available in a triple in 2004 or must I wait a
    > > while? Gary
    >
    > Word on the street is that you must wait until '05. Product managers (for various bike lines) were
    > quoted in the latest Bicycle Retailer and Industry News as not being terribly happy about this.

    So why couldn't one use the current 9 speed DA triple (FD and cranks) on a otherwise 10 speeds
    drivetrain? Fuctionally the new cranks may be better but it sure looks funky.

  6. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    [email protected] (Richard Chan) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Anybody know if the new 10-speed Dura Ace will be available in a triple in 2004 or must I wait
    > > > a while? Gary
    > >
    > > Word on the street is that you must wait until '05. Product managers (for various bike lines)
    > > were quoted in the latest Bicycle Retailer and Industry News as not being terribly happy
    > > about this.
    >
    > So why couldn't one use the current 9 speed DA triple (FD and cranks) on a otherwise 10 speeds
    > drivetrain? Fuctionally the new cranks may be better but it sure looks funky.

    Agree, but I would also stay away from the DA triple crank. Why? Mickey Mouse design. Here's Sheldon
    Brown's excellent evaulation of the crank:

    "While other Shimano "road" triples come with 52-42-30 chainrings, the Dura-Ace version comes with
    52-39-30 rings. At first this seemed like a welcome upgrade, offering greater versatility to the
    road/touring cyclist. Unfortunately, the way Shimano chose to do this is rather wrong-headed and
    retrograde, resulting in a crankset that is even less versatile than their 130/74 "road" triples in
    the Ultegra, 105, Tiagra and Sora lines.

    Instead of using a crankset with two sets of mounting holes, as with other modern triple sets, they
    have the 30 tooth chainring attach to the 39 tooth ring, rather than to the crank itself, in the
    manner of a Willow Triplizer or a TA conversion chainring. "Oh, great," you say, "so then you can
    retrofit the 39 onto other 130 BCD doubles!" Well, no. Unlike the Willow and TA conversion rings,
    the Dura-Ace is specifically designed NOT to fit a standard 130 double crank, because the "shelves"
    that support and center the middle ring get in the way. The "triple" Dura-Ace crank has had these
    "shelves" machined off flush, so it is the only crank that can accept this chainring, even though it
    does still use the standard 130 mm bolt circle.

    But wait! It gets worse! Instead of using the standard 74 mm bolt circle for the 30 tooth chainring,
    as they do on all of their other "road" triples, Shimano has seen fit to create a brand-new bolt
    circle pattern just for this application, 92 mm. Thus, there is NO other chainring besides the stock
    30 that can be used with the Dura-Ace triple."

    I would use DA 10 right shifter, DA dt left shifter and if you want shimano crank, ultegra triple
    crank and fd....

  7. On 17 Jun 2003 12:32:27 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

    >You could cobble one together with a right 10s lever, left DA triple lever, all else triple from
    >DA, but the 'new' shape of the 10s lever makes this look goofy. Plus single 10s levers are go9ong
    >to be a long time in coming...

    Buy a 2x10 and a 3x9, make your 3x10, and sell the 2x9 to some customer who wants 2x9.

    Jasper

  8. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    [email protected] (Eric Murray) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, bfd <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >[email protected] (Richard Chan) wrote in message
    > >news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > >> So why couldn't one use the current 9 speed DA triple (FD and cranks) on a otherwise 10 speeds
    > >> drivetrain? Fuctionally the new cranks may be better but it sure looks funky.
    > >
    > >Agree, but I would also stay away from the DA triple crank. Why? Mickey Mouse design. Here's
    > >Sheldon Brown's excellent evaulation of the crank:
    >
    > [deletage. See Sheldon's web site for the original]
    >
    > >I would use DA 10 right shifter, DA dt left shifter and if you want shimano crank, ultegra triple
    > >crank and fd....
    >
    > Does Shimano make a DA triple down tube shifter?
    >
    > DA triple brake/shifter won't work with Ultegra triple FD.
    >
    > Ultegra triple fd will only shift well with a 52/42/30 chainring setup. (and DA triple with
    > 53/39/30 for that matter, although a 52 might work ok)
    >
    > So if you want a 39t middle ring or DA brake/shifters, you're stuck with the DA triple. One could
    > possibly use a TA triple crank instead of the DA triple, but it's not really any less expensive.
    > But you would have more gearing choices (i.e. 38t 130mm middle ring or using a 110mm bolt circle
    > crank and all sorts of combos). FSA supposedly makes some of their triple cranks with 39t middle
    > rings but I have not seen any actually available with other than a 42t middle ring.
    >
    > I researched this pretty hard a few months ago and eventually bit the bullet and bought the DA
    > triple. (I wanted a 39t middle ring and DA shifter/brake levers). Sheldon may think it's "Mickey
    > Mouse" (actually I don't beleive he said those words) but it works for me.

    Agree, Sheldon never called the DA triple crank design "Mickey Mouse", I did. Hey, if you don't need
    any more gearing than a 30t granny chainring, then the DA triple crank works for you!

  9. Eric Murray

    Eric Murray Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote:
    >On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 00:02:15 GMT, [email protected] (Eric Murray) wrote:
    >
    >I got a DA triple front derailleur to shift a 53/42/28 on my tandem. The front derailleur had to be
    >the full 3 mm above the 53. With a 52, the 42 contacted the derailleur.

    Cool. Whose chainrings? How's the 42-53 shift? I might switch to a 50 or 51t big ring. I don't
    really need a 53x12.

    >I don't really understand why people want 53/39 triples.

    Dunno about other people, but I wanted the regular road gears I'm already used to, plus a low range
    for steep/long climbs.

    Eric

  10. Gary Mishler

    Gary Mishler Guest

    "Eric Murray" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,

    > Ultegra triple fd will only shift well with a 52/42/30 chainring setup. (and DA triple with
    > 53/39/30 for that matter, although a 52 might work ok)

    I have a DA triple FD with TA 50/40/28 rings and it works great.

    Mish

  11. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 18:22:26 GMT, [email protected] (Eric Murray) wrote:

    >Cool. Whose chainrings? How's the 42-53 shift? I might switch to a 50 or 51t big ring. I don't
    >really need a 53x12.

    The shift from 42-53 is fine but I do need a 53, which I don't usually have on. My rings are Campy
    with ramps and pins on the big ring. The middle ring is a replacement and from a double crankset and
    has no ramps or pins. The shift from 28 to 42 is fine too.

    My best working front derailleur is an early 90s XTR that was meant to shift 46/48T big rings.
    Little chain drag and shifts all the rings fine. These in DX/XT/XTR are hard to find.