2004 Felt F60

aberracasa

Jan 31, 2014
I am trying to decide if this is a good value at $500. The bike looks like it has been well taken care of. Thanks for your opinion.

Andre

According to bikepedia:

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2004&Brand=Felt&Model=F60&Type=bike#.UuxQLx_I1UQ

The spec of the components and frame is pretty good. MSRP was 1.2K. 2004 is fairly old, depending on the owner there may be a bit of wear and tear. I would closely inspect the frame, especially the carbon seatstays and the bond to the aluminum. Drivetrain items like the cassette, chainrings and chain may be worn and may cost a few hundred to replace.

Fit is a crtitical component, you need to be able to ride the way you want. Test ride and check the fit. Go through the mechanical items, make sure the shifting is crisp and the levers and calipers operate smoothly.

If I were looking for a bike and the F60 was cherry and fit me well - I would start dealing.

Thank you very much for all the advice.
Given the bikebluebook value, I offered $450 but the seller wouldn't budge.

Andre

It's a 9-year-old bike. Give it some time. Either he'll come around or someone else will pay too much for it.

I was not aware that there was blue book for bikes.

I have not seen a bike of this level in like-new condition go for so little as that website's appraisal however, I wonder where its data comes from.

Over the last few months, I spend a lot of time pouring over ebay and craigslist - so I think I have a feel for the local market. If I were dealing, using the info from that site - I may have offered $350 ( assuming like-new) and expected to end up somewhere in the low 4's.

Originally Posted by maydog
I was not aware that there was blue book for bikes.

I have not seen a bike of this level in like-new condition go for so little as that website's appraisal however, I wonder where its data comes from.

Over the last few months, I spend a lot of time pouring over ebay and craigslist - so I think I have a feel for the local market. If I were dealing, using the info from that site - I may have offered $350 ( assuming like-new) and expected to end up somewhere in the low 4's.
The problem with using craigslist as a price guide is that you only get asking prices. Some of them can be pretty outrageous. I've dealt with customers' craigslist "bargains," bikes that cost hundreds of dollars and needed hundreds more to make them roadworthy. On ebay, at least, you can find the closing bids.

Here's the link to the page that tells where the estimates come from: http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/HowItWorks.aspx. Actual prices will depend on local markets. In any market, $450 for a 10-year-old Al bike with 9-speed 105 with cheats (brake calipers and crankset) is generous.

The seller has removed the ad. I am assuming that someone paid $500 for it. I didn't think it was wise for me to pay more than $450. Meanwhile I bought a 2010 Felt Z100 for $500. Also above the blue book value. Bike was allegedly ridden only a couple of time. Looks new. Thanks again for your inputs.

Quote by OBC:
"In any market, $450 for a 10-year-old Al bike with 9-speed 105 with cheats (brake calipers and crankset) is generous."

THIS!!!

It's a $250 sale...'if' it actually sold...in my market. Alu-carbon went the way of the woolly mammoth. 105 with cost saving group cheats is like buying some cheese-eating high school kid's Honda Civic with fart can, LED lights and 'wing' added. All it does is further drop the value.

Markets vary. Taste varies. A partial shimaNO 105 group value never varies.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
Quote by OBC:
"In any market, $450 for a 10-year-old Al bike with 9-speed 105 with cheats (brake calipers and crankset) is generous."

THIS!!!

It's a $250 sale...'if' it actually sold...in my market. Alu-carbon went the way of the woolly mammoth. 105 with cost saving group cheats is like buying some cheese-eating high school kid's Honda Civic with fart can, LED lights and 'wing' added. All it does is further drop the value.

Markets vary. Taste varies. A partial shimaNO 105 group value never varies.
Maybe, but if in like-new condition it is still cheaper and much better than any major manufacturers entry level offerings.