2004 La Vuelta a Espana

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by gntlmn, Aug 5, 2004.

1. oely

oely New Member

Its hardluck for Vino but at the same time Evans seems to be getting his usual dose of hardluck. He´s up there in the GC at the moment and now most of his team is heading home. Doubt he´ll be able to do all that much damage in the GC but maybe a stage win and an honourable top 10 - 15 or so finish might be the best he could hope for. He must be counting down the days where he no longer has to put on the T Mobile kit.

2. Miguel_garcia83

Miguel_garcia83 New Member

Zaragoza - Morella

1º 82 MENCHOV, Denis RUS IBB 5:07:44
    2º 71 GONZALEZ, Aitor ESP FAS a 3
    3º 11 VALVERDE, Alejandro ESP KEL a 3
    4º 167 PIEPOLI, Leonardo ITA SDV a 3
    5º 171 SASTRE, Carlos ESP CSC a 3
    6º 183 EVANS, Cadel AUS TMO a 9
    7º 81 MANCEBO, Francisco ESP IBB a 9
    8º 2 NOZAL, Isidro ESP LST a 9
    9º 192 BELTRAN, Manuel ESP USP a 9
    10º 105 GOMEZ, Angel ESP ALM a 9
    11º 151 CUNEGO, Damiano ITA SAE a 9
    12º 1 HERAS, Roberto ESP LST a 9
    13º 161 BELOKI, Joseba ESP SDV a 9
    14º 194 LANDIS, Floyd USA USP a 9

17º 112 HAMILTON, Tyler USA PHO a 9
    23º 201 GARZELLI, Stefano ITA VIN a 21
    42º 41 CARDENAS, Felix COL BAQ a 56
    46º 111 SEVILLA, Oscar ESP PHO a 56
    63º 175 JAKSCHE, Jörg GER CSC a 56
    85º 61 ZUBELDIA, Haimar ESP EUS a 6:00
    180º 181 VINOKOUROV, Alexandre KAZ TMO a 17:06

1º 192 BELTRAN, Manuel ESP USP 18:47:16
    2º 194 LANDIS, Floyd USA USP m.t.
    3º 82 MENCHOV, Denis RUS IBB a 4
    4º 11 VALVERDE, Alejandro ESP KEL a 9
    5º 183 EVANS, Cadel AUS TMO a 16
    6º 193 JOACHIM, Benoit LUX USP a 23
    7º 81 MANCEBO, Francisco ESP IBB a 39
    8º 14 GARCIA QUESADA, Carlos ESP KEL a 47
    9º 196 PEÑA, Victor Hugo COL USP a 47
    10º 112 HAMILTON, Tyler USA PHO a 50
    11º 71 GONZALEZ, Aitor ESP FAS a 52

14º 2 NOZAL, Isidro ESP LST a 1:13
    15º 1 HERAS, Roberto ESP LST a 1:13
    18º 151 CUNEGO, Damiano ITA SAE a 1:23
    26º 111 SEVILLA, Oscar ESP PHO a 1:48
    31º 161 BELOKI, Joseba ESP SDV a 1:50
    34º 201 GARZELLI, Stefano ITA VIN a 2:09
    36º 175 JAKSCHE, Jörg GER CSC a 2:11
    47º 41 CARDENAS, Felix COL BAQ a 2:41
    81º 61 ZUBELDIA, Haimar ESP EUS a 8:18
    127º 181 VINOKOUROV, Alexandre KAZ TMO a 17:13

3. Roadrash Dunc

Roadrash Dunc New Member

The T-Mobile chef cant be too popular right now.Assuming their stomach bugs were from food poisoning.

4. patch70

patch70 New Member

Apparently it was from the hotel food. Cadel Evans is blaming the fish salad but others are questioning the rice pudding. The latter is more likely for a very sudden onset of food poisoning.

5. Craig Walsh

Craig Walsh New Member

He has the worst luck ever.

6. Virenque

Virenque New Member

And he is not the only one with a lot of bad luck in one season! Cadel Evans brake his colarbone 3 times (?) last year! You must have bad luck to broke it once, but he did it few times!! Savoldelli is another one..

7. Miguel_garcia83

Miguel_garcia83 New Member

other teams as liberty team were in the same hotel and they didnt get poisoned with the food

8. patch70

patch70 New Member

I believe Liberty were the only other team and they didn't eat the rice pudding.

9. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

USPS still has four riders in the top ten after 7 stages of the Vuelta.

Did you notice on the time trial tomorrow that the first 150 riders leave every 1 minute, and then the last 30 leave every 2 minutes. Is this something I've been missing all along? It's a flat stage, 40.1 km.

10. donhix1

donhix1 New Member

That is the way they do it in the Tour also. Usually the television coverage doesn't kick in until the the last riders go so it is hard to notice.

11. Virenque

Virenque New Member

Postals are so good in TTs! It must be a different training method in USPS as in others...

Uff, I tomorrow it will be exciting! Its very hard to say who is the best in mountains! Last year there were about 10 riders, comming together in every mountain stage and it was a little bit boring..

12. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

If you all haven't heard yet, Tyler smoked the Time Trial, averaging 31.6 mph on the mostly flat 40.1 km course. Landis took the overall lead, being a better time trialer than Beltran. But Beltran is only 10 sec back now on the overall. So the difference is not much. Hamilton worked his way all the way up to third, 32 sec back from the lead.

Tomorrow is going to be a gut busting mountainous stage, and we'll see the overall standings begin to take the look of a grand tour. There are 3 cat 2's, 3 cat 3's and a 162 km course starting at 130 m and ending at 1510 m. It's a mountaintop finish at Alto de Aitana. Clearly, this stage favors the climbers. This will be very interesting. The crowd is going to be huge I think.

13. Virenque

Virenque New Member

You forgot to write that mountain top finnish is horse category..
    And Im afraid youre wrong about the crowds! You can see huge crowds in Giro and Tour on big climbs, but in Vuelta is diferent! In most of mountain stages there are not a lot of crowds, just at the end there are some, but still nothing comparing with Giro and Tour..

14. philoakley

philoakley New Member

Beltran did a great ride today as did Mancebo. It's now down to Heras, Valverde and Mancebo to drop Hamilton and the USP's in the mountains.It looks that this race is very finely poised. If Beltran can replicate his climbing from from last year's TDF then he will be hard to beat. Anyway, I thnk that the next two weeks will be very entertaining.

15. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

Thanks for pointing out this information. I cannot tell how the official website designates hors category climbs on the profile. I see the cat 2's and cat 3's labelled clearly, but I was beginning to wonder why I wasn't seeing the expected hors categories. It's the labelling that I still don't follow.

As for the crowds, I see now that this official description is a bit misleading, and I quote from the official website:

We reach one of the stages that has set a new record as regard the number of followers watching the riders passing by. In La Vuelta 2001, we got to Aitana from Valencia and all the surrounding roads were collapsed because of the huge number of people who came to watch the stage. Möller, Simoni and Sastre were the best riders, and Sevilla was leader overall. This time the stage will be very hard again with seven tops to reach. Three of them will be of a third category, and other three of second category.

End of quote.

I see now that this description is a matter of degrees. This is a big crowd for the Vuelta, as it says, but the fact that it doesn't come close to the Tour de France for viewership is a point well made, and you won't see them rubbing this in too much in Spain. It's easy to get misled by the hype on this official website.

16. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

I'm very curious about Heras. Perhaps he was really using the Tour de France to prepare for the Vuelta this year, but we shall see. Beltran is also an unknown. But don't forget about Landis. He did some incredible climbing in the Tour this year. If he and Beltran team up well, the two of them may do very well on this stage. We'll see. They both seem to be in top form now.

17. Virenque

Virenque New Member

OK the crowds were big (see it here) hehe, but in most of the stages are not. Last year the Vuelta went on the same roads as last years Tour (col d`Aspin, col de Peyresourde, ...) and the diference was enormous hehe!

18. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

I'm glad to see that Petacchi has regained his form in this Vuelta. I was pretty disappointed when he and Cippolini dropped out of the Tour this year. I was beginning to wonder if Petacchi was going to have a very short time in the limelight. But now he's up to 20 wins for the season, including 3 in the Vuelta. He says he was not even feeling very well the first 2 wins, but he felt very strong yesterday. He says he's back.

19. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

There must be a huge difference, as you point out. Otherwise, OLN and many of the other media companies that follow the Tour would also be following the Vuelta. I am sure that the local Spaniards at least are very proud of their Grand Tour though. It is a very challenging race. There are a lot of great riders there this year too.

20. Roadrash Dunc

Roadrash Dunc New Member

Cant understand why OLN arent broadcasting it for you guys.

The TdF has the most prestige and awareness obviously.
    The Giro is the most beautiful.
    But the Vuelta is always the most exciting and hardest.