2004 trek 1200 for beginner?

lupis08

Feb 21, 2012
Hi beginner here looking for a good beginner road bike, my local bike shop has a completely refurbished 2004 trek 1200 for $400. Curious, is this a reasonable price or should I just hold out for something else to come along?

Those are nice bikes. Does it look good? For instance does the frame paint look nice or is it all chipped up?

How does the bike appear to you overall? Is the handle bar tape in good shape, good tires or new tires, does it come with a saddle and pedals, etc?

Does the bike shop warranty their refurbished bikes?

Most of all: is it the right size for you and do you really like the way it rides?

Here's a bikepedia link that shows the specifications:

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2004&Brand=Trek&Model=1200&Type=bike

The size is actually perfect and comes with new tires, rims, breaks, and chain. Overall aesthetics of the bike look perfect. Going over to the shop again to see about the warranty, but after going to several other local shops I think this is the one.

If the bike shop is willing to stand behind the bike with a warranty, then I think you're getting a pretty good deal.

You're paying a bit more than you might in a private sale, but in a private sell it's usually an "as is" deal and may the buyer beware.

Let us know how it works out for you and good luck! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif