2004 Trek 5900 and Madone frame construction

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Russell Seaton, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Until 2003 at least, Trek made their OCLV frames with lugs
    and tubes. A bike shop employee said for 2004 the 5900 frame
    had a one piece, monocoque, downtube/headtube. Or maybe it
    was toptube/headtube. Or downtube/headtube/toptube. With the
    rest of the frame being the standard tube and lug
    construction as in the past.

    Anyone know if Trek is using some monocoque pieces in its
    5900 or Madone frames starting in 2004? If so, which pieces
    are one piece and which are still the standard tube and lug?

    Also found out Trek finally made a normal 1.125" fork for
    the 5900 and Madone in 2004. No more goofy headsets and
    non standard forks required beginning in 2004. The fork
    still has an aluminum steerer tube but is very light and
    normally shaped.

    Tags:

  2. The new Madone isn't really monocoque, but the top tube &
    head tube are essentially made as one huge "lug" using OCLV
    technology (meaning that it's highly compacted compared to
    classic "monocoque" frames that depend on an air bladder to
    maintain internal shape & wall thicknesses).

    And yes, it does take a conventional headset (which was
    probably a requirement so they could take on Chris King as a
    sponsor?). It does make servicing them a bit easier.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "Russell Seaton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Until 2003 at least, Trek made their OCLV frames with
    > lugs and tubes. A bike shop employee said for 2004 the
    > 5900 frame had a one piece, monocoque,
    > downtube/headtube. Or maybe it was toptube/headtube.
    > Or downtube/headtube/toptube. With the rest of the
    > frame being the standard tube and lug construction as
    > in the past.
    >
    > Anyone know if Trek is using some monocoque pieces in its
    > 5900 or Madone frames starting in 2004? If so, which
    > pieces are one piece and which are still the standard tube
    > and lug?
    >
    > Also found out Trek finally made a normal 1.125" fork for
    > the 5900 and Madone in 2004. No more goofy headsets and
    > non standard forks required beginning in 2004. The fork
    > still has an aluminum steerer tube but is very light and
    > normally shaped.

  3. David

    David Guest

    the 5900 came with a propertiary HS, atleast the 2001
    model did.

    david

    "Noel Llopis" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
    >
    > > And yes, it does take a conventional headset (which was
    > > probably a requirement so they could take on Chris King
    > > as a sponsor?). It does
    make
    > > servicing them a bit easier.
    >
    > What kind of headset do previous OCLV frames take? I was
    > under the impression it was a standard one (1" or 1 1/8").
    > My 5200 came with a Cane Creek S-2, which I thought was
    > pretty standard.
    >

    > --Noel

  4. > What kind of headset do previous OCLV frames take? I was
    > under the impression it was a standard one (1" or 1 1/8").
    > My 5200 came with a Cane Creek S-2, which I thought was
    > pretty standard.

    The 5200 & 5500 always used conventional threaded or
    threadless headsets. The only non-standard model was the
    5900 in '01, '02 & '03. They used pressed-in bearings on the
    bottom and a conventional setup on the top. The '04 5900
    uses a conventional 1 1/8" threadless.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  5. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    I think I read some were that Lance had said he would not use anything but an aluminum steerer. (One area were he opted for additional strength over a few grams saved).