2005 Bella Litespeed Road Bike

fennsh

Aug 12, 2013
Hi all, I bought a really nice (and expensive) road bike several years ago with the hopes to pick up cycling as a hobby. Unfortunately, I didn't. My beautiful bike has under 300 miles. I'd like to sell it as I just need a bike for leisurely rides with my family but not sure how to find out the value of the bike. I did try looking it up, but could not find its current value. Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to find its value or if there are any bike shops in NJ that buy bikes?

Assuming it is in great condition (few/no scratches, etc.) due to the low miles, probably between $1,000 and $,1500 depending on component level, frame size, and wheelset. Maybe $1,200 for a relatively quick sale for an average frame size (not extra small or extra large) with Shimano 105 components and similar level wheelset.

Few bike shops actually purchase pre-owned bikes. When they do the offer price isn't fair market value because they are thinking of the cost of money for acquiring the inventory, the cost of the shop overhead for the space to store the bike, and finally some level of profit after selling the bike. To cut their risk, the price offered is often low. Some shops work on a consignment basis - especially if you're buying a new one from them.

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice. Its a small frame, w/Shimano 105 components. I like those numbers, I'll go ahead an take some pictures tonight and list it :)

Good luck! Maybe add a little "negotiating room".

Don't stop riding ... get the leisure bike soon. :)

Originally Posted by fennsh .

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice. Its a small frame, w/Shimano 105 components. I like those numbers, I'll go ahead an take some pictures tonight and list it :)
I do not know what the bike's value is ...

If you like sitzmark's estimate, then list the bike on eBay for that amount ...

Otherwise, consider having your bike shop re-fit the bike with a FLAT (MTB-type) handlebar + appropriate shifters & front derailleur (estimate ~$200 for the parts & labor if they do the work ... half that amount if you are a wise shopper & get the parts off of eBay & DIY) ... if necessary (for your comfort) choose a BMX handlebar or a "Stingray"-type handlebar. You could even choose "Cruiser" handlebars. The BMX, Stingray, and Cruiser bars will probably require a different stem if your current handlebar has a 1 1/8" (OS) center section.

• sell the 105 shifters and/or handlebars off your current setup on eBay to recoup the cost of the conversion.

OR, spend $30 +/- to have a pair of INLINE brake levers (sometimes referred to as CX/Cyclocross levers) added to the top portion of the handlebars ...

• basically, the installation involves detaching the brake cables from the brake calipers, pulling the cable 90% of the way out of the housing, cutting the housing close to where it exits the handlebar tape, cleaning the burrs off the ends of the housing (a FLAT file will do), clamping the levers on, & feeding the cable through the housing to the calipers & reattaching them to the calipers ... allow 10-to-30 minutes ... of course, it could take longer.
  • check YouTube to see if there is a video which demonstrates the installation to see if it is something you may want to tackle IF you opt for the auxiliary brake levers.

Figure "CX" levers + installation will be about $50+ if your LBS sells them to you & does the installation ... hopefully, not more.

BTW. I think you could probably sell the frame & fork + headset, alone, for $1000 +/-.
---​
If there is an alternative bike which you have your eye on, as I more-or-less implied, you can probably replicate the riding position on your current bike by simply changing the handlebars & stem ... Not that weight is particularly important, but whatever you may-or-may-not be looking at will probably weigh a porky 25+ lbs. THE disadvantage of a fancy-schmancy Road bike which most people don't fully realize when they are being shown new bikes is that the maximum tire size is often limited ... Your Litespeed frame may be able to accommodate 700x28 tires, and that size may be large enough for you to achieve the ride quality you are ultimately trying to have ... However, while many forks only have clearance for 700x25 tires, the fork can be replaced.

It's likely that model road bike has been sold on eBay. I'd recommend searching for completed sales of Litespeed Bellas on eBay to see what prices they've commanded.

Thanks appreciate all the responses I'm getting. The bikes is super lightweight and rides so fast and nice. I know the next bike is going to weigh a ton compared to this one. This bike is just too much bike for me as I'm more of a casual rider (a handful of rides at the park :p ). I'm going to list it as I'd hate to take it apart myself and not utilize it for its true potential! I've finally taken all he pics and now need to measure the frame. I'll have to look that up as well as I have no clue what i'm doing.

Nice bike.

Measure from the center of the crank (bolt) to a "virtual" point on the seat post where the top tube would intersect if it was horizontal. You have a "sloping top tube", so you must take a virtual measurement to be consistent with frame sizing norms. The "accepted" frame size is calculated by measuring from the center of the bottom bracket (or center of the crankset) to the center of where a horizontal top tube and seat tube meet. Some manufacturers choose to measure at the top of top tube which can add up to 2 cm. Compact frames with sloping top tubes and extended seat posts made everything very confusing because the distance from the bottom bracket to the seat tube/top tube intersection can be infinitely variable. My guess is your fame is a virtual 52cm just eyeballing it.

Top tube length is actually more important for fit reasons, but that's another can of worms. More info here: http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html