2005 giant ocr1



HTM

New Member
Sep 20, 2005
2
0
0
Does anyone know where i can get my hands on a new (X-Large) OCR 0 for $1500. I was looking at paying nearly that for a OCR1. I'm in Brisbane. I've looked on The Freedom Machine, but to no avail!! Any help would be appreciated. Looking at cash purchase ASAP. Hopefully this week.
If not, does anyone know where i'll get my hands on an OCR1 for less than $1495?

Cheers!
 

Mellic

New Member
Nov 11, 2004
73
0
0
To change the thread a little....I am after people's opinions on which road bike would best suit a mtb'er. I'm going to be using it for training purposes, and because of my shop sponsors, I am limited to Giant or Specialized. I'm not wanting to spend too much, and because of that, I've decided to go for Giant, based on the spec you get for your hard earned $$.

I've narrowed it down between the 06 OCR Zero, or Alloy TCR 1, which I can both get for a similar price (OCR slightly cheaper). For specs:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?model=10015

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?model=10026

Also, what about the compact 36/50 crankset offered on the OCR?

I've taken an 05 TCR Composite and OCR Zero for a spin, and preferred the handling/bike positioning of the TCR, but that was only around the block. Is there anything I have missed?

All thoughts and comments appreciated :D

Cheers.
 

Ronanmk

New Member
Apr 28, 2005
81
0
0
5 months ago I test rode 05's OCR Zero, TCR1, TCR 2 Composite and others as well. Although I like the composite better, I ended with the TCR1 and I don't regret it one bit. After 1000 Ks the bike is still like new and rides beautifully.
All of them are really bang for the buck.
HAven't tried the compact cranks though.

cheers
 

Dancier

New Member
Jul 26, 2005
240
0
0
62
thomas_cho said:
The OCR might well be the bike for me, I dont race, nor intend to. Just want to go on long rides to burn the fat.
I have the 2006-OCR2, it took a bit of time to set the seat and handlebars up but now it's even better to ride than when I first got it. Last Thursday I went for a 140k through the Dandenongs and surrounding area's, lots of hills encountered and fat burnt off. I was stuffed at the end of the ride but the next day I pulled up pretty well overall. It's a good bike for a small price outlay.
 

DesFlurane

New Member
Sep 29, 2005
145
0
0
I have just bought an OCRzero, if you have any inclination to race get the TCR.
The zero is comfy as but when the backend flexes, well it makes you think! Then again carbonfibre is really strong, I hope ;-)
Was going to buy the OCR1 for the round Lake Taupo, but had to stretch the cash because the gunmetal black colour is to die for. Don't tell the wife as I sold the increased expense on the greater longevity of Ultegra:D
Des.
 

artemidorus

New Member
Mar 10, 2004
2,307
0
36
Mellic said:
I've narrowed it down between the 06 OCR Zero, or Alloy TCR 1, which I can both get for a similar price (OCR slightly cheaper). For specs:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?model=10015

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?model=10026


I've taken an 05 TCR Composite and OCR Zero for a spin, and preferred the handling/bike positioning of the TCR, but that was only around the block. Is there anything I have missed?
You've already answered your own question. Get the TCR. The TCR alloy frame is famously stiff and is of TdF quality. It is said to provide a harsher ride than many frames, but it seems alright to me.
If you want comfort rather than nippy handling and good sprinting/climbing, get the OCR.
Be warned that the TCR frame has chainstays as short as they can possibly be. Many, but not I, think that short chainstays confer unstable handling and a very harsh ride.
 

phazer

New Member
Jun 29, 2005
35
0
0
Mellic said:
To change the thread a little....I am after people's opinions on which road bike would best suit a mtb'er. I'm going to be using it for training purposes, and because of my shop sponsors, I am limited to Giant or Specialized. I'm not wanting to spend too much, and because of that, I've decided to go for Giant, based on the spec you get for your hard earned $$.

I've narrowed it down between the 06 OCR Zero, or Alloy TCR 1, which I can both get for a similar price (OCR slightly cheaper). For specs:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?model=10015

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?model=10026

Also, what about the compact 36/50 crankset offered on the OCR?

I've taken an 05 TCR Composite and OCR Zero for a spin, and preferred the handling/bike positioning of the TCR, but that was only around the block. Is there anything I have missed?

All thoughts and comments appreciated :D

Cheers.
I race MTB XC, and recently bought a OCR 2, spent all my cash on my tricked out NRS ;) And I love the OCR2. IMO best value for money roadbike you can buy if your just starting out with road cycling. Brakes are a little weak....but then I am used to hydrolic disc brakes on my MTB. But overall quite happy with it.
 

artemidorus

New Member
Mar 10, 2004
2,307
0
36
phazer said:
Brakes are a little weak....but then I am used to hydrolic disc brakes on my MTB.
I think that Dura-Ace or Record brakes would also fail that comparison! I'd be really surprised if Dura-Ace brakes are much better than Tiagra or Sora in terms of braking force, if you're using high quality pads on both sides of the comparison. The difference, I reckon, is a little bit of weight and a lot of bling. If anyone knows better, please chime in!
 

thomas_cho

New Member
Jan 4, 2005
508
0
0
artemidorus said:
I think that Dura-Ace or Record brakes would also fail that comparison! I'd be really surprised if Dura-Ace brakes are much better than Tiagra or Sora in terms of braking force, if you're using high quality pads on both sides of the comparison. The difference, I reckon, is a little bit of weight and a lot of bling. If anyone knows better, please chime in!
The latest Dura Ace brakes were supposed to be re-designed and made stiffer. The end result, a reported 30% increase in braking force over the old design. I have not personally had the opportunity to try them out, its just from what I have been reading in magazines/internet. Could it be shimano propaganda?
 

thomas_cho

New Member
Jan 4, 2005
508
0
0
artemidorus said:
I think that Dura-Ace or Record brakes would also fail that comparison! I'd be really surprised if Dura-Ace brakes are much better than Tiagra or Sora in terms of braking force, if you're using high quality pads on both sides of the comparison. The difference, I reckon, is a little bit of weight and a lot of bling. If anyone knows better, please chime in!
The latest Dura Ace brakes were supposed to be re-designed and made stiffer. The end result, a reported 30% increase in braking force over the old design. I have not personally had the opportunity to try them out, its just from what I have been reading in magazines/internet. Could it be shimano propaganda?