2005 giant ocr1

jbbcj

Aug 3, 2005
can anyone tell me if the 2005 giant ocr1 is good value for $1200. Would it cut it as a racing bike and to what level.

$1200 seems like a very good price as i think they retail for about $1800. I rode an OCR 0 just before i bought my bike which is a giant TCR1. The only reason that i chose the TCR was that i didnt like the carbon fiber rear end of the OCR, it seemed abit loose when i accelerated hard and as the TCR was only $100 more i went for that. Have you ridden the bike? What did you think?

Sorry, i dont know if it would cut it as a racing bike but the 105 groupset that it comes with is fine and i thought it was a decent ride when i rode one.

I brought the TCR1 after looking at the OCR. I think the main difference is that the the TCR's geometry is more responsive and maybe a little stiffer. The Ultegra groupset is also a big plus. I have had mine for over 6 months now and find it the best bike I have ever ridden. The thing just picks up and goes, particularly on the climbs. Because the frame is so good it is really worth upgrading some of the components like the wheels etc.. Once you have it set up right, the bike has the potential to win any road race in this country (if you have the legs).

If you do have abit more to spend try out a TCR2. The frame is exactly the same as a TCR1 except differant colours and it has 105 instead of ultegra.

4 months ago I tried the OCR0 and TRC1 and got the TCR1. The OCR0 was fine (Ultegra 9 speed), but I did quite trust the carbon read end (I'm possibly over-reacting and that frame will probably outlive me). Also, the OCR0 had some low end components like the no-name brakes. I just dumped a few more bucks (not that many really) and got the TCR1, which I absolutely love.

Don;t really know if this helps you, but I can't stop talking about the TCR1...Its just GREAT.

cheers

the tcr has proven itself in races without a doubt the geometry is there.It would be first choice.But i wonder how the same rider would do with an ocr.How much difference would it make.I have never raced and havent checked it out as yet.I suppose it would be good to hear from someone who clubraces on an ocr if any.

isn't the OCR setup more for comfort?

like people with back probs

the TCR is more racier

the ocr has a longer chainstay by 11mm and a longer head tube by 6mm which makes the wheelbase longer by 11mm. All the frame angles are the same as the tcr.It would be interesting to know if all things being equal as far as running gear and rider how would it effect performance.

I just bought a OCR2 mainly for it's ability to hold a rack. I have been riding mountain bikes for quiet a few years now and I thought the transition over to a road bike would take a few weeks. I jumped on the bike last friday night for a quick spin around the block and decided straight away it was perfect for my needs. The next day i went for a ride up into the Dandenongs (Hills) and the following day the same. Its a great bike and very comfortable as well.

Getting back to the origanal question, $1200 sounds about right for an OCR1.

Jbbcj when it all come down to it bike choice will be a very personal thing. For example I chose the TCR for the responsive handling but many racers compete very successfully on frames, which I would call “lazy” in handling (particularly some of the popular traditional geometry frames). Personally I think the TCR provides a better base to build a race bike. I already had a number of after market components which I have put of the TCR to get it the way I like it such as Mavic Elites, Cinellli Neo bars, Selle seat, Look peddles. I have just upgraded the STI levers, front and rear gear to Dura-Ace 7800 because I got them at a good price. However, if you have your heart set of the OCR and like the way it rides you will probably be able to compete very well on it. In the end it’s the hard miles in training that prove to be the biggest factor towards winning road races.

thanks for the input people. I think ill use ocr as a training bike and get myself a tcr for racing. Well thats where i left it after reading the last post. Then i did a bit of surfing and found a tcr elite. where did that come from. A cross between a 2005 ocr1 & 2 and tcr.

The Freedom Machine has the OCR 0 for $1499 at the moment. Looks like a special to run them out before ATB

Would be a hard bike to pass up for the price.

just picked up a ocr 0 for 1500 here in canberra, cant complain about a 700dolla saving. rode the tcr2 and the ocr 0 back to back and found the ocr more comphy/relaxed. not planing on racing just doing ks to work and back so the ocr seemed a better ride.
that and carbon gives me a wet spot.

Hi I am in the market for a new bike. I had my mind all set on the TCR composite, but then my hopes were dashed when the shop did not want to ship to NSW.

Since then I have noticed that the Giant 06 range is out, and there is a OCR composite ....

Anyone tried this out yet?

After reading the posts on this thread, what does it mean by the geometry of the OCR is tuned more to comfort?

Cheers

good question tcr verses ocr geometry. there is a difference 11mm longer wheelbase and 6mm longer headtube.A longer wheelbase will absorb roadshocks better. and a longer headtube will sit you up higher. So you should get a more comfortable ride. But the ultimate question is performance. If we took an ocr 1 and lowered our head by 6mm and took a tcr2 in a wind tunnel and measured the difference what would it be. A shorter wheelbase is more responsive.But how much more to a skilled rider.It tends to make me think that giant market these bikes to attract certain buyers. For the price range of these bikes and the races they would be in how much difference would it make to these grade of riders. After reading all the imformation on the net and talking to various people between the tcr and ocr geometry ive come to this conclusion.
Get on the bikes and ride them. The one that is most comfortable to you buy it.
and for performance, its the quality of the engine that counts.

The OCR might well be the bike for me, I dont race, nor intend to. Just want to go on long rides to burn the fat.

the 2006 range looks fantastic. The ocr composite will certainly be a winner. Ultegra ,550 wheels ,$3000. This bike should be even more comfy than 2005 ocrs. unbelievable.If your into long comfy fast rides get an ocr you wont regret it.

You can pick up the 2006 full range catalogue at giant dealers now and tcrs are coming soon