2005 Giro d' Italia Presented

Powerful Pete said:
Goodness. The earlier you arrive the better, the best places are on the steepest portions of the mountains obviously. Get there early, if possible, camp out the night before. The day of the stage expect to be part of a throng of maddened fans. Have a lot of fun. For more information on lodging in the stage areas, write on a Italian cycling newsgroup or try out www.bicidacorsa.com... sign up and write a note in English - someone is bound to be able to help you (i am not from the area so I cannot really be more specific).

Have fun. :D
For more information is the best to contact e.g. sestriere turistic information! Send them an email..the easiest way!:)

the climb i'm looking forward to is the Finestre on the penultimate stage. Last 6 or so kilometres of it being gravel :D, like the old days.

007Weg.jpg

i can bet there'll be a lot of team helpers up there with spare tires :D

I can`t believe they will leave the road macadam. They must asphalt it.:confused:Anyone with news about that?

As I said, I`m very impatient to see how that will look, but I don`t believe they will leave it macadam. Cycling, especially competitive is limited on asphalt roads nowadays, so I really doubt about that macadam Finestre!:)

naaaah it has to be on gravel. Coppi and co all raced on gravel back in their day, and I see no reason why they shouldn't now! :D

Dead Star said:
naaaah it has to be on gravel. Coppi and co all raced on gravel back in their day, and I see no reason why they shouldn't now! :D
I have also heard rumour about asphalting! :mad: I hope that they do not do it!

Of course they do! Yes they were racing and training a lot on macadam in past, but these are new days.
BTW here are some photos of racing on macadam nowadays!:)

Powerful Pete said:
Here is the link to the official homepage.

http://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Giroditalia/2005/presentazione/default.shtml

For the non-Italian speakers, on the menu on the left side, if you click ' altimetria di tappa ' you will be able to see the scaled map of the stages. Enjoy.

The Stelvio is back! It's the Cima Coppi at over 2700 meters! And they are also adding the Sestriere twice in one stage.

I like it. :D

I'm surprised the stage ended as it did today with the first 56 riders finishing within 2 seconds of each other. I suppose that if the mountains were at the end of the race rather than more toward the beginning, it would have been a different result. Here's the profile, from the link above. You'll see it if you click altimetria 5 after clicking this link.

http://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Giroditalia/2005/presentazione/altimetrie.shtml

I read that Cunego is a big Doors fan, the 1960's and 70's band with lead singer Jim Morrison. I can see how that kind of music would appeal to a top cyclist. It's kind of mesmerizing. He says he likes to listen to that when he's racing.

noonievut said:
Giro will be on OLN. Check their web site for complete listings of all cycling coverage (clicking the cyclism banner at top shows you this...).

If only I had OLN...or money.

keydates said:
If only I had OLN...or money.

I admit I didn't spring for the $5.95 they wanted. But that's not much, if you really want to watch it. I'm using google to fill in the blanks, but if I had more time, I'd probably go for this. It sounds like a great deal. I'm pretty sure $5.95 is all they want for the entire Giro viewing.

I'm beginning to wonder whether Danilo Di Luca just might have it in him to hang onto the Maglia Rosa all the way to the end. The big surprise to me was how much time Cunego finished back from the day's leader. Of the GC contenders, Salvoldelli was impressive, as was Basso. Both climbed up the rankings many places.

General classification after stage 8

1 Danilo Di Luca (Ita) Liquigas-Bianchi 36.06.47
2 Ivan Basso (Ita) Team CSC 0.09
3 Paolo Savoldelli (Ita) Discovery Channel-Pro Cycling Team 0.35
4 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Caffita 1.15
5 Dario David Cioni (Ita) Liquigas-Bianchi 1.27
6 Stefano Garzelli (Ita) Liquigas-Bianchi 1.35
7 Marzio Bruseghin (Ita) Fassa Bortolo 1.38
8 Serguei Gonchar (Ukr) Domina Vacanze 1.39

GC after Stage 7

1. Danilo Di Luca (I), Liquigas-Bianchi, 35:06:41
2. Damiano Cunego (I), Lampre, 0:26
3. Mirko Celestino (I), Domina Vacanze, 0:54
4. Gilberto Simoni (I), Lampre, 0:54
5. Dario David Cioni (I), Liquigas-Bianchi, 1:06
6. Stefano Garzelli (I), Liquigas-Bianchi, 1:14
7. Ardila Cano Mauricio Alberto (Col), Davitamon-Lotto, 1:15
8. Michele Scarponi (I), Liberty Seguros, 1:16
9. Paolo Savoldelli (I), Discovery Channel, 1:26
10. Ivan Basso (I), CSC, 1:27
11. Cristian Moreni (I), Quickstep, 1:31
12. Paolo Bettini (I), Quickstep, 1:33
13. Emanuele Sella (I), Ceramica Panaria - Navigare, 1:44
14. Luca Mazzanti (I), Ceramica Panaria - Navigare, 1:49
15. Andrea Noe' (I), Liquigas-Bianchi, 1:53
16. Matthias Kessler (G), T-Mobile, 2:06
17. Haimar Zubeldia Agirre (Sp), Euskaltel-Euskadi, 2:13
18. Giampaolo Caruso (I), Liberty Seguros, 2:19
19. Serhiy Honchar (Ukr), Domina Vacanze, 2:23
20. Marzio Bruseghin (I), Fassa Bortolo, 2:25
21. Laurent Lefevre (F), Bouygues Telecom, 2:29
22. Aitor Gonzalez Jimenez (Sp), Euskaltel-Euskadi, 2:29
23. Andrea Tonti (I), Lampre, 2:29
24. Markus Fothen (G), Gerolsteiner, 2:30
25. Christophe Brandt (B), Davitamon-Lotto, 2:33
26. Rujano Guillen Jose' (Vz), Colombia - Selle Italia, 2:35
27. Sven Montgomery (Swi), Gerolsteiner, 2:36
28. Daniel Atienza Urendez (Sp), Cofidis, 2:37
29. Laverde Jimenez Luis Felipe (Col), Ceramica Panaria - Navigare, 2:43
30. Evgeni Petrov (Rus), Lampre, 2:46

I guess it was payback time against the Simoni/Cunego duo today, as they failed to make the statement they did yesterday when they thrashed the peloton climbing. Perhaps they used up just a little bit too much strength yesterday. Notice that Simoni dropped completely out of the top 8 on GC after today. I guess it won't be a matter of deciding who will be the leader of their team, barring misshaps this Giro. That's an interesting shakeup. I'm looking forward to stage 11, which is coming up Thursday, May 19th. I missprinted above this stage number. I should have said stage 11, not 15.

Tuesday is a rest day, following by a long stage on Wednesday, which I'm pretty sure is flat. I'm going to put my money on Basso for the stage win on Thursday. He had a great showing today. I think he just might make his move on Thursday to take the Maglia Rosa.

Aha! What a stage day! I was right about Basso taking the Maglia Rosa, but Savoldelli took the stage s.t.

It may be that Cunego turned on the heat too young in his career last year at the Giro. He may have been better off to domestique for Simoni and progress more normally. Now he seems to be faltering badly.

Great stage. Simoni surprised me, because usually favourites are not attacking on the penultimate climb of the first mountain stage! Maybe it was said that who will be better will become the leader.
I think we have first, second and maybe even third of this year`s Giro. Usually shapes don`t change a lot in next days, but we don`t know..remember the diference of Ullrich`s performance from Alps and Pyrenees in 2003!:)

Virenque said:
Usually shapes don`t change a lot in next days, but we don`t know..remember the diference of Ullrich`s performance from Alps and Pyrenees in 2003!:)

Refresh my memory on that. Are we talking about the TdF? I remember he came very close to winning that year, only about a minute back from Lance.

Overall after Stage 12
1. Ivan Basso (I), CSC, 53:55:20
2. Paolo Savoldelli (I), Discovery Channel, at 0:18
3. Danilo Di Luca (I), Liquigas-Bianchi, at 1:04
4. Gilberto Simoni (I), Lampre, at 2:27
5. Serhiy Honchar (Ukr), Domina Vacanze, at 3:45
6. Marzio Bruseghin (I), Fassa Bortolo, at 4:34
7. Michele Scarponi (I), Liberty Seguros, at 4:48
8. Dario David Cioni (I), Liquigas-Bianchi, at 5:25
9. Emanuele Sella (I), Ceramica Panaria - Navigare, at 5:58
10. Markus Fothen (G), Gerolsteiner, at 6:10
11. Vladimir Karpets (Rus), Illes Balears, at 6:24