gears nicely, it's just not possible with the flex in the parts.
Instant pub bikes or dumpster-fodder. Urghhh. The paint job on them
is probably the best part - at least they used paint! Are there any
hills on the GVBR this year?

I can't help but think that promoting them as a bike to do the GVBR on
is a dis-incentive to ride it - they won't go the distance. They're
probably worse than k-mart shitters. Giving them to someone as a pub
bike is about the only use for them, IMO.

On 2005-11-20, Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:
> I was working in at my LBS on the w'end and a couple of the 2005 GVBR
> bikes came in to be "fixed". My golly ... I know they're cheap ... but
> they are -nasty-. The front derailier is made of tinfoil, I'm sure ...
> If these things last 500km I'd be amazed.

Hm. Possible worthy conversion to a single speed or fixie for a quick
trip to the train station, perhaps? (ie: what's the frame and wheel set
like? Oh, and the cranks, too ... the pedals are less significant.)

Stuart Lamble wrote:
> On 2005-11-20, Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I was working in at my LBS on the w'end and a couple of the 2005 GVBR
> > bikes came in to be "fixed". My golly ... I know they're cheap ... but
> > they are -nasty-. The front derailier is made of tinfoil, I'm sure ...
> > If these things last 500km I'd be amazed.

> Hm. Possible worthy conversion to a single speed or fixie for a quick
> trip to the train station, perhaps? (ie: what's the frame and wheel set
> like? Oh, and the cranks, too ... the pedals are less significant.)

I didn't look that closely - I was assembling MTBs on Sunday, not
actually fixing these ... things... I'm sure you could do something
with the frame, but the components ... no.

Bleve said:
I didn't look that closely - I was assembling MTBs on Sunday, not
actually fixing these ... things... I'm sure you could do something
with the frame, but the components ... no.

The frame is salvageable, a friend has swapped over a new gruppo & wheelset on his & it makes a acceptable tourer, um, er, pub bike. Still, why not go for quality & not quantity, like 1000 OCR's or a meduim entry level roadie?

On the weekend I was in Port Melbourne at a friend house off Graham St. His place was built in the 1920s-30s & he was smashing up the concrete out the back. Seems that in those days they used old gates & bed heads as concrete re-enforcement. I asked him if he had come up with any bike frames, but I suppose the GVBR wasn’t around back then……

Marx SS said:
On the weekend I was in Port Melbourne at a friend house off Graham St. His place was built in the 1920s-30s & he was smashing up the concrete out the back. Seems that in those days they used old gates & bed heads as concrete re-enforcement. I asked him if he had come up with any bike frames, but I suppose the GVBR wasn’t around back then……

...not around back then, but if he is renovating and needs to pour a new slab, the GVBR bike could form the basis of his new reo for the modern slab. :D

SteveA

So you mean the 3 i have on display in my lounge room are not going to appreciate in value from what i paid for them?:eek:

There goes my lack of investment sense again.:rolleyes:

"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I was working in at my LBS on the w'end and a couple of the 2005 GVBR
> bikes came in to be "fixed". My golly ... I know they're cheap ... but
> they are -nasty-. The front derailier is made of tinfoil, I'm sure ...
> If these things last 500km I'd be amazed. You can't get them to change
> gears nicely, it's just not possible with the flex in the parts.
> Instant pub bikes or dumpster-fodder. Urghhh. The paint job on them
> is probably the best part - at least they used paint! Are there any
> hills on the GVBR this year?
>
> I can't help but think that promoting them as a bike to do the GVBR on
> is a dis-incentive to ride it - they won't go the distance. They're
> probably worse than k-mart shitters. Giving them to someone as a pub
> bike is about the only use for them, IMO.

A friend of mine did a state MTB round on one the other weekend. Entered
SportB thinking it wouldn't survive more than 3 laps. Over the first two
laps he blitzed sportB, passed all the masters and was halfway through the
sportA pack before he tacoed the rear wheel.