2005 Hurricane Season predictions released today (5/16/2005)

jaguar75

Apr 21, 2004
For those of us that live on the gulf coast or eastern seaboard, NOAA released to 2005 predictions for Hurricanes today and are calling for a season just as active as last years with up to 5 storms reaching cat 3 or higher. Should be a fun one... :eek:

jaguar75 said:
For those of us that live on the gulf coast or eastern seaboard, NOAA released to 2005 predictions for Hurricanes today and are calling for a season just as active as last years with up to 5 storms reaching cat 3 or higher. Should be a fun one... :eek:
Man, that sounds extreme!

zapper said:
Man, that sounds extreme!
averagely extreme...

you know, if your country experiences extreme weather as the norm, it can no longer be regarded as extreme...surely?

did NOAH advise the use of seal skin boots and dog sledges for the life guards on Laguna Beach this year? Better get the ice breakers out just incase someone decides to go for a swim in the sea...

jaguar75 said:
Stornoway in the Western Isles experiences a higher average annual wind speed than any area in the USA hurricane zone. 70-100mph during the winter months is fairly normal.

MountainPro said:
Stornoway in the Western Isles experiences a higher average annual wind speed than any area in the USA hurricane zone. 70-100mph during the winter months is fairly normal.
Well, that's in the N. Atlantic. The conditions would stand to reason would they not :confused: Besides as Zapper has pointed out, on numerous occassions, our weather extremes are beyond contention. You chaps have gales & such. We have "barn-busters"/"twister's"/tornado's, Hurricanes, Mount Washington in sedate, WASPy, Vermont-200 mph winds-record. Top that :eek:

davidmc said:
Well, that's in the N. Atlantic. The conditions would stand to reason would they not :confused: Besides as Zapper has pointed out, on numerous occassions, our weather extremes are beyond contention. You chaps have gales & such. We have "barn-busters"/"twister's"/tornado's. Top that :eek:
I've sailed many times in the North atlantic....very rough waters indeed.

Thats right peabody, those chaps always pull out a little statistic like, "x country" has the most sand storms or x country has larger rain droplets" but tell me...is the term " on average" exclusive to Americans only? Maybe the point is just gettin lost in translation?????

zapper said:

Thats right peabody, those chaps always pull out a little statistic like, "x country" has the most sand storms or x country has larger rain droplets" but tell me...is the term " on average" exclusive to Americans only? Maybe the point is just gettin lost in translation?????
It also stands to reason that we are a "continent", more or less (from sea to shining sea) as opposed to a "country" on a "continent", we have all of the weather patterns associated w/ said entity. I would not want to resurrect a dead horse though. As far as the news, I saw the predictions too but-that is what they are-predictions.

zapper said:
I sailed in the entire Pacific from California to Kenya & all parts in between & the worst storm I ever encountered was off the northern coast of California. Real nasty storm.

davidmc said:
It also stands to reason that we are a "continent", more or less (from sea to shining sea) as opposed to a "country" on a "continent", we have all of the weather patterns associated w/ said entity. I would not want to resurrect a dead horse though. As far as the news, I saw the predictions too but that is what they are-predictions.
My worst experience was coming back from nova scotia. I was riding a TICO class cruiser...A few million dollars worth of equipment was lost/damaged...Not to mention the newbies puking everywhere...yuk....

davidmc said:
It also stands to reason that we are a "continent", more or less
slight exaggeration there i think Dave...the USA only takes up a third of the land mass of the continent of North America.

you been drinking the same stuff as Zap boy?

davidmc said:
Well, that's in the N. Atlantic. The conditions would stand to reason would they not :confused: Besides as Zapper has pointed out, on numerous occassions, our weather extremes are beyond contention. You chaps have gales & such. We have "barn-busters"/"twister's"/tornado's, Hurricanes, Mount Washington in sedate, WASPy, Vermont-200 mph winds-record. Top that :eek:
this is mince...the stats i quoted are the norm. Its not extreme for that part of the world. Having a few short lived gusts of 200 mph every now and then doesnt equate to winds consistently at storm force.

let me put it like this...your weather extremes stats are the result of the very high standard of weather monitoring and reporting. Many countries do not have such technology and therefore cannot produce reliable and realistic statistics. You are measing your stats against a few 'bit and pieces' of inconsistent data. Youre not getting the whole picture, all you have is a biased and distorted view of world weather systems.

MountainPro said:
slight exaggeration there i think Dave...the USA only takes up a third of the land mass of the continent of North America.

you been drinking the same stuff as Zap boy?
I think he was referring to the number of different oceans which consist of different current, temps and characteristics on our borders...BTW, Peabody and I are hangin out at the local electrical store having a brew...c'mon over....

MountainPro said:
this is mince...the stats i quoted are the norm. Its not extreme for that part of the world. Having a few short lived gusts of 200 mph every now and then doesnt equate to winds consistently at storm force.

let me put it like this...your weather extremes stats are the result of the very high standard of weather monitoring and reporting. Many countries do not have such technology and therefore cannot produce reliable and realistic statistics. You are measing your stats against a few 'bit and pieces' of inconsistent data. Youre not getting the whole picture, all you have is a biased and distorted view of world weather systems.
Ah ha, you admit that we have the most extreme weather...reporting then....

zapper said:
I think he was referring to the number of different oceans which consist of different current, temps and characteristics on our borders...BTW, Peabody and I are hangin out at the local electrical store having a brew...c'mon over....
you mean...two oceans. just like the UK.

Stornoway is on an island right in the path of where the warm north Altantic collides with the freezing Arctic Ocean...it has a 'unique' weather pattern...thank God i dont live there...

oh yes...i would love a brew, but it seems to be making your brains work funny today...whats the special ingredient?

MountainPro said:

Stornoway is on an island right in the path of where the warm north Altantic collides with the freezing Arctic Ocean...it has a 'unique' weather pattern...thank God i dont live there...

oh yes...i would love a brew, but it seems to be making your brains work funny today...whats the special ingredient?
Pro, would you accept evidence concerning our "most extreme" status from a UK source?

MountainPro said:

"According to the National Weather Service (NWS), the United
States experiences more severe storms and flooding than any
other country in the world. In a typical year, we can expect
a staggering assault by the elements: some 10,000 violent
thunderstorms, 5,000 floods, 1,000 tornadoes and several
hurricanes."

zapper said:
My worst experience was coming back from nova scotia. I was riding a TICO class cruiser...A few million dollars worth of equipment was lost/damaged...Not to mention the newbies puking everywhere...yuk....
Agreed, Bay of Fundy, Largest tidal disparities in the world, no :confused: On the American continent to boot :D

MountainPro said:

Your point that all area's don't have the equipment to monitor all such events is correct but, notwithstanding, our countries make-up is unique in that it is situated between two oceans AND has a turbulent Gulf to the south. This recipe w/ our great plains & the cold weather from Canada combining w/ the warm weather from the Gulf spawn Tornado's of which many are Cat 4 (sometimes-5) Also Huricane's-Camilla, Hugo, & Andrew were forces of unimaginable magnitude.

davidmc said:
Your point that all area's don't have the equipment to monitor all such events is correct but, notwithstanding, our countries make-up is unique in that it is situated between two oceans AND has a turbulent Gulf to the south. This recipe w/ our great plains & the cold weather from Canada combining w/ the warm weather from the Gulf spawn Tornado's of which many are Cat 4 (sometimes-5)
One tidbit from a UK source.....

"The deadliest and most violent tornadoes in the world occur in the United States :

- Tornadoes are most common in Oklahoma and Texas - 'Tornado Alley'
- The USA experiences some 100,000 thunderstorms each year - about 1,000 are severe enough to produce tornadoes "