2005 Hurricane Season predictions released today (5/16/2005)

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by jaguar75, May 16, 2005.

1. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

different websites quote different facts…I just skimmed them to prove my point.

who mentioned dangerous?…’worst’ was the original argument I think..

how generous..
    yeah, lets…

1800 per minute brings down the US average even further…I was erring on the side of caution…but have it your way.

some websites quote 10,000 per year for the US…so the maths is correct.

100,000 per year, 10 per minute, so 10 is 2% if 540 (30% of 1800)….you still only produce 2% of the worlds thunderstorms for 6.25% of the landmass….that is still way way way below average….

nope, the USA take up 6.25% of the worlds land mass (not including oceans and seas) … this was compared on an even (average) basis with the other 93.75% of land on planet earth.

If the world was broken up into even parts (and this is the only fair way to do this because individual stats for each country would take years to compile and for some they are not even available) then the US should receive 6.25% of the worlds thunderstorms…this is the only way to analyse this.

water? What water? I am only taking about landmass of which 30% of the worlds surface comprises. This is taken into account in my argument….read my original post.

this is Dave’s line of thinking….not mine…bad Dave’..

well my little joke obviously got lost in translation. Its true, parts were from the CIA but giving their track record on intelligence and information I knew you would rip my post apart….well done.

it is also obvious to me that you do not read you international news reports. What about drought in African countries killing hundreds of thousands a year…extreme enough?…take your pick, flooding in China and India, Monsoons in SE Asia, Philippines, Indonesia, the forest fires in Australia

and while we are on non weather related natural disasters is the Asian Tsunami allowed to be compared to your ‘quakes? Death toll: close to 150,000.

2. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

:D There is no way i can top having my own personal meteorologist..but i did write an email to the Met Office when we had this discussion the first time around. http://www.met-office.gov.uk/

i asked them what country experiences the worst weather on average.

Thier reply basically said that it would be impossible to say for sure because there is no reliable and comprehensive weather information for every country on the planet. A comparison cannot be made.

i suppose they are right...i mean, it would be like comparing the best literary works of the plant Earth against a planet that has not yet been discovered and contains no data...

you could argue the point til you are blue in the face but it is utterly pointless...

Zap, lets just say we shall never know...okay?

But its not the US, thats for sure...

3. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I would have thought that area land mass was the issue.
    Therefore 30% of the earths surface is land, of which the USA is 6.25%.

Based on the stats provided, even though the USA land mass accounts for
    20% of the earths land mass (6.25% of 30%), it still doesn't, based on the percentage land mass data, make the USA the most "hurricane likely" region.

4. Colorado Ryder

Colorado Ryder New Member

This is incorrect.

Total world land mass is 148.94 million km. US total land mass is 9,158,918 km. 148,940,000/9,158,918= 6% of total land mass.

Total surface of Earth = 509.92 million km.
    509,920,000/9,158,918= 2% of total surface of the Earth.

5. davidmc

davidmc New Member

here is my "exact" quote feller's-"It also stands to reason that we are a "continent", more or less ..." Just clarifying :D

6. davidmc

davidmc New Member

You are aware that the Hurricane's, spawned off the west coast of Africa, head in a westerly direction toward Hispaniola/Florida (E.Coast of N America)
    I am not aware of any other "significant" Hurricane breeding ground that comes close to Africa's, shall we say- infamy.

7. cpx

cpx New Member

In terms of number of tropical cyclones & hurricanes per year:

The annual average for the West Pacific (where the regional term is typhoon) is about 3x as high as the Atlantic / Cape Verde.

8. davidmc

davidmc New Member

Touché. I stand corrected but, how many of those make landfall :confused: The ones in the Atlantic frequently make landfall.

9. jaguar75

jaguar75 New Member

Actually the correct naming of these storms is based on where they occurr. If the storm originated in the Atlantic Basin it is called a Hurricane, if it originated in the Pacific realm it is called a Typhoon, and if the storm originated in the Indian basin it is called a Cyclone. The only exception to this is if the Storm developed withint close proximity to the west coast of the US then NOAA and the Hurricane center still refer to the storm as a Hurricane.

On average Typhoons are more frequent because they originate in the always warm mid tropics of the Pacific West. On average they are responsible for more fatalities because of the conditions with which most poverty stricken Asians live and the relatively poor warning methods and evacuation capabilities. Hurricanes, on the other hand, cause more monetary damage and I don't think I need to explain that.

Cyclones are much less frequent but when they do occur they usually turn out to be very extremely powerful storms.

10. davidmc

davidmc New Member

You are correct about typhoons. I lived in Japan for two years & they were more of a nuisance than an actual threat. More often than not they veered North as to miss Japan. Granted, two years is not long for any cyclical (not bicyclical :rolleyes: )computations.

11. geocycle

geocycle New Member

Hey - genuinely hope you and yours are ok. Very sadly, the dire predictions about New Orleans' susceptibility to storm surge have come to pass.

12. stevebaby

stevebaby New Member

....but he does produce a lot of hot air...perhaps this is the cause of the extreme weather? :p