2005 La Vuelta a Espana Predictions?

Gunsberg

Guest
Hmmm....The 2005 La Vuelta begins just a few days from now, on
Saturday, August 27th. It's clear that RBR's attention has been focused
on Die Deutschland Tour. But now that is wrapping up, and the last that
I read, La Vuelta was still considered to be one of the Grand Tours.

So, who's gonna win?

Roberto Heras will be keen on winning a 4th Vuelta a Espana, which
would give him sole possession of the record for most GC victories in
that race. Certainly, given his results in the TdF, he is again hoping
that he has yet to hit his best form.

His Liberty-Seguros team will provide formidable support, with Isidro
Nozal, Igor Gonzales de Galdeano,and Joseba Beloki riding for him.

2002 Vuelta winner Aitor Gonzalez will head the Euskaltel-Euskadi
team.

2001 winner Angel Casero will lead Comunidad Valenciana-Kelme

Francisco Mancebo will lead Illes Balears.

Among the non-Spanish (or Basque) teams, Santiago Botero will be
Phonak's GC contender.

Floyd Landis will be one of the top Americans in La Vuelta, riding for
Phonak

Carlos Sastre of Team CSC will be a threat to take some stages.

Oscar Sevilla is T-Mobile's hope.

As for the Discovery Team, Jose Azevedo will lead the team in its
attempt to win its 3rd Grand Tour victory of the year.

Also, Gilberto Simoni will be racing for Lampre-Caffita. He missed the
TdF, so he may have ambitions for a high placement, to complement his
2nd Place finish in the Giro.

This year, there are 2 Individual Time Trials (plus the 9 km. long
Prologue), both of which are on relatively flat terrain. This could
make things more difficult for Heras.

I predict that this could be Mancebo's year, and Aitor Gonzalez might
be in Podium form. Landis might be a Dark Horse for a high finish.

1) Mancebo
2) Aitor Gonzalez
3) Heras
4) Landis
5) Igor Gonzalez
6) Casero
7) Sevilla
8) Beloki
9) Azevedo
10) Simoni

Gunsberg wrote:
> I predict that this could be Mancebo's year

Maybe. This year's course runs counter-clockwise and the way the guy rides
makes me think he's better going to his left.

I'll candyass that Mayo wears the leader jersey from day 1 to Madrid,
or he'll retire at the Pyrinees.

Jenko

Robert Chung wrote:
> Gunsberg wrote:
>
>>I predict that this could be Mancebo's year

> Maybe. This year's course runs counter-clockwise and the way the guy rides
> makes me think he's better going to his left.

Ha! They should call him The Zombie.

Marlene Blanshay wrote:
> Haha...it's his little quirk, like Moreau sticking his tongue out (women
> love that by the way).

I'm going to have to try that one out next time I ride past a hot chick.

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 18:04:39 +0200, Donald Munro
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Robert Chung wrote:
>>> Maybe. This year's course runs counter-clockwise and the way the guy rides
>>> makes me think he's better going to his left.

>Marlene Blanshay wrote:
>> Haha...it's his little quirk, like Moreau sticking his tongue out (women
>> love that by the way).

>I'm going to have to try that one out next time I ride past a hot chick.

If you rest it on the handlebars, you can leave it out all the time...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Robert Chung wrote:
> Gunsberg wrote:
>
>>I predict that this could be Mancebo's year

> Maybe. This year's course runs counter-clockwise and the way the guy rides
> makes me think he's better going to his left.

Haha...it's his little quirk, like Moreau sticking his tongue out (women
love that by the way).

Mancebo finished very high in the tour- I've often said that he could
definitely win the vuelta. However, he's not winning stages... if he
could win in the mountains he could pull it off.

Donald Munro wrote:

> Robert Chung wrote:
>
>>>Maybe. This year's course runs counter-clockwise and the way the guy rides
>>>makes me think he's better going to his left.

> Marlene Blanshay wrote:
>
>>Haha...it's his little quirk, like Moreau sticking his tongue out (women
>> love that by the way).

> I'm going to have to try that one out next time I ride past a hot chick.

I can't guarantee results... keep in mind that Moreau IS French.

On 08/23/2005 12:52 PM, in article
[email protected], "Marlene Blanshay"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Haha...it's his little quirk, like Moreau sticking his tongue out (women
> love that by the way).

That's Voeckler, not Moreau ...

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

Tim Lines wrote:
> Chris Horner will win a stage.
>
> At least I hope so.

For that to happen, he would need to be on the start list..

sonarrat wrote:
> Tim Lines wrote:
>
>> Chris Horner will win a stage.
>>
>> At least I hope so.

> For that to happen, he would need to be on the start list..

Where can I find the start list?