2005 Mercier Corvus

biker7

Oct 15, 2004
Anybody have an opinion on the 105 equipped, Reynolds steel, Mercier Corvus? Seems like a lot of bike for the dollar and I am in the market for a nice but not too expensive road bike. Couldn't learn much in the archives and would appreciate any advice if someone owns one on this forum. My thought is even with a carbon fork, say an aluminum Trek 1500 at a similar if not higher price point would not have the ride of this Reynolds frame/carbon fork Corvus. At 50 years old, having grown up on steel bikes, I am looking for a comfortable bike yet one that has some speed to it to try to keep up with some of you youngsters...surely not the fast guys on here ;)
I am 6'1" with 34.5 inch inseam and long arms and am thinking about the 61cm size to get the handlebars up around the seat height. Next step down is 58cm which believe would be a bit small with this objective in mind.
I appreciate any advice.
Thank you,
George

I have been riding Mercier Orion aluminum for about six months. It's the cheapest aluminum bike they offer. All is ok, except the headset jiggles a bit after 300 miles or so; DA22 wheels have some razor sharp edges around spoke holes. I had two flats, and had to replace the rubber wheel strip that came with the bike to a good old cloth type tape. Other than that, pretty happy with it. However, you do 'get what you pay for.' Hope this helps.

biker7 said:
Anybody have an opinion on the 105 equipped, Reynolds steel, Mercier Corvus? Seems like a lot of bike for the dollar and I am in the market for a nice but not too expensive road bike. Couldn't learn much in the archives and would appreciate any advice if someone owns one on this forum. My thought is even with a carbon fork, say an aluminum Trek 1500 at a similar if not higher price point would not have the ride of this Reynolds frame/carbon fork Corvus. At 50 years old, having grown up on steel bikes, I am looking for a comfortable bike yet one that has some speed to it to try to keep up with some of you youngsters...surely not the fast guys on here ;)
I am 6'1" with 34.5 inch inseam and long arms and am thinking about the 61cm size to get the handlebars up around the seat height. Next step down is 58cm which believe would be a bit small with this objective in mind.
I appreciate any advice.
Thank you,
George
Although I don't know anything about Mercier's Corvus line, I have a view of the Mercier line in general. I owned a Mercier Aquila Euro, equipped with Campagnolo Mirage parts. First of all, let me say that the ride on the bike was not horrible, but it definitely was not worth the money I spent on it. The Euro is a Chromoly frame with Ouzo Comp Carbon fork, which make for a somewhat smoother, albeit heavy ride (30 pounds or so) The Alex DA22 rims are fairly basic and gave me no problems, unlike the last post. What irks me the most, however, is their level of customer service, or lack thereof.

On several occasions, I had technical questions for them. I went to check on their website for any contact information. As it turns out, they have no phone number to call or address to write to. The only way to reach them is by email, and you stand a 1 in 5 chance of having someone reply (as you guessed, I emailed them 5 times for a problem and only received one response....the first one, thanking me for buying their bike....End Of Story!

IMHO opinion, I would save the extra bucks and get a better bike.

RL

Hate to be assimilated by Trek as mentioned by another poster :) but guess people get that way for a reason...solid engineering and good customer service.
Thank you Gentlemen,
George