2005 Rolf Prima Elan stuttering

eliu

Mar 9, 2004
Just purchased a set of Rolf Prima Elans. Does anyone else have the problem of stuttering or shimmying of the fork when applying the front brake? I've done all that seems to be recommended including using Kool stop pads, emery cloth to the side walls, tightening quick release skewer and headset, using different brake calipers(shimano dura ace 7700 and 7800) on two different bikes(Merlin Extralite/Giant TCR 1), and toeing in the brake pads. While fork stiffness seems to decrease this annoyance, it is still present when used on my 2004 Giant TCR with carbon fiber aero fork(pretty stiff for). It is most noticeable on my Merlin with Ouza Pro fork(carbon steerer). I've used other wheelsets on the same set up and no stuttering is noted(except once with Rolf Sestriere but this was remedied with new brake pads). Is the braking surface defective or is this just something I will have to live with(unacceptable)? Will the stuttering/shimmy cause excessive wear and tear on my fork and headset. This is rather disappointing considering the $$$ invested into this wheelset. I've emailed Rolf and am waiting for a reply. If someone has a solution, it would be much appreciated.

eliu said:
Just purchased a set of Rolf Prima Elans. Does anyone else have the problem of stuttering or shimmying of the fork when applying the front brake? I've done all that seems to be recommended including using Kool stop pads, emery cloth to the side walls, tightening quick release skewer and headset, using different brake calipers(shimano dura ace 7700 and 7800) on two different bikes(Merlin Extralite/Giant TCR 1), and toeing in the brake pads. While fork stiffness seems to decrease this annoyance, it is still present when used on my 2004 Giant TCR with carbon fiber aero fork(pretty stiff for). It is most noticeable on my Merlin with Ouza Pro fork(carbon steerer). I've used other wheelsets on the same set up and no stuttering is noted(except once with Rolf Sestriere but this was remedied with new brake pads). Is the braking surface defective or is this just something I will have to live with(unacceptable)? Will the stuttering/shimmy cause excessive wear and tear on my fork and headset. This is rather disappointing considering the $$$ invested into this wheelset. I've emailed Rolf and am waiting for a reply. If someone has a solution, it would be much appreciated.

A friend of mine just went through this with a set of Rolf Prima Elans. The current operating theory is that there is extra "material" at the joint which throws the wheels out of balance...he said 15 grams worth. This seems like alot.

They counter balanced the wheel and have been okay since. The jury is still out.

BTW, another friend had the same problem with a set of 2004's...he gave up, took them back and traded for Mavic Krysirums (which have their own problems...a topic for another thread).

My wife has a set on her Orbea Orca...she never really pushes the speed up to a point where she has noticed any issues.

tourdelivermore said:
A friend of mine just went through this with a set of Rolf Prima Elans. The current operating theory is that there is extra "material" at the joint which throws the wheels out of balance...he said 15 grams worth. This seems like alot.

They counter balanced the wheel and have been okay since. The jury is still out.

BTW, another friend had the same problem with a set of 2004's...he gave up, took them back and traded for Mavic Krysirums (which have their own problems...a topic for another thread).

My wife has a set on her Orbea Orca...she never really pushes the speed up to a point where she has noticed any issues.

Thanks for the reply..., I've seen the problem that I think you are talking about. The balance problem causes more of a high speed wobble independent of braking. In my case, and apparently others as well, the fork vibration/stuttering only occurs when the front brake is applied about 60%. No high speed wobbles have been noted on my wheelset yet. Thanks.