2005 Shimano Ultegra Ten Speed

musazzii

Jul 9, 2004
Hey,

What have you guys heard about the new Ultegra 10 Speed for 2005? Also, when will it be made availible at my LBS? :confused:

Thanx

Next month is the after market roll out of the kits. Production has been earmarked for OEM only and since that is the bulk of their sales, don't expect to get 10s Ultegra for under $900 (full kit, minus hubs, headset, seatpost and pedals). There will be no cheap kits until 10s gets to Tiagra thanks to Shimano's clever marketing scheme.

More importantly (to me anyway), can we expect a big price drop of the 9spd?

Sorry if it is a silly question, I have only been following the price market for about 6 months!

ItalianStallion said:
More importantly (to me anyway), can we expect a big price drop of the 9spd?

Sorry if it is a silly question, I have only been following the price market for about 6 months!
I don't know about a huge price drop but you can expect the higher end 9 speed technology to trickle down to the lower end components.

In a couple more years you will probably be able to buy Tiagra components and they will be the same quality as today's Ultegra. Although I haven't witnessed this first hand in the road bike components, I have seen it in the MTB components. My 2004 Deore cranks are the same cranks as earlier XT cranks. This way they can maximize the product life cycle and still generate cash flow from their previous R&D expendatures.

Doctor Morbius said:
In a couple more years you will probably be able to buy Tiagra components and they will be the same quality as today's Ultegra.
This is incorrect! What actually happens is that *features* trickle down; quality of construction and materials does not, except with glacial slowness. Saying the quality is the same is like saying a Formula One engine is the same as that in a 1957 Chevy as it has the same number of cylinders...

I doubt very much that 10 speed will trickle down past 105; this will probably happen a year after Ultegra if Shimano follow past trends. Seeing how much the new stuff has increased in price, it would seem essential to me to keep the number of cogs down on the cheaper groups to justify the cost of the fancy stuff. Remember, Sora is still 8 speed after several years.

I doubt prices of 9 speed will go down much, except perhaps in the short term as there is a big difference between 9 and 10 speed already. (Sheldon Brown has provisional prices on his site.) Some people may dump stock to make way for 10 speed, but that will probably be it. Given the shortages of parts Shimano has suffered this year they should be keen to convert production to the new stuff as quickly as possible. Also, the whole business about reducing Internet sellers in number was all about keeping the price up. Shimano are capitalists after all!

Well, limited quantities of Ultegra 10 are out in the shops on my side of the globe.

I run the DA10 on my bike and initial impressions of it compared is that I like the feedback of the Ultegra shifters better. Feels somewhat like the DA 9, very positive with a deliberate touch to the shifts. Though a friend commented that it feels 'tight' compared to the DA10. Preferences I suppose.

Cosmetically ? Its much better in the flesh than in the picts.

Performance ?? Not sure, haven't had the chance to test it other than a round in the carpark from a borrowed ride. ;)