2005 trek series, when?

mdbrown

Jul 10, 2004
i'm planning on buying a trek 1000 as i'm just starting out, but i'm thinking about waiting until the 2005 series comes out. does anyone have an idea about when the new series of trek bikes will be out?

My LBS said that my 2005 5.2 "should" be here at the end of August. If not, then by early September.

kenright said:
My LBS said that my 2005 5.2 "should" be here at the end of August. If not, then by early September.
Im getting the same answer here on the Trek's. End of august, beginning september is the consensus. Everyone here is sold out of the 2004 1000's. Good luck getting a new bike though.

thanks for the info. i checked with the local trek dealer earlier today and they said basically the same thing. they still have a 2004 trek 1000 in my size at $519. do you think i should go ahead and just buy that or wait for the 2005?

mdbrown said:
thanks for the info. i checked with the local trek dealer earlier today and they said basically the same thing. they still have a 2004 trek 1000 in my size at $519. do you think i should go ahead and just buy that or wait for the 2005?
If there are no major changes in components and/or frame material, then I would get the 2004 if money is a concern. It should be on sale and the 2005's should reflect a price increase. At least that is according to my LBS. All the 2004's are on sale at very nice discounts.

my LBS said $519 is their normal price and that they'll drop the price on any remaining 04 models when they get the 05's. i'm thinking 05 bikes might be difficult to get when they come out. in the past, how hard are they to get when they first come out?

mdbrown said:
my LBS said $519 is their normal price and that they'll drop the price on any remaining 04 models when they get the 05's. i'm thinking 05 bikes might be difficult to get when they come out. in the past, how hard are they to get when they first come out?
"...they'll drop the price on any remaining 04 models...." That is the kicker, if there aren't any left, then you're out of luck. You could always put an 04 on lay-away:D

As for the availability of new models; well they might only bring out one paint scheme for the model right away. And then the other one or 2 a few months down the road. At least that's what they are doing with the 5.2 Madone. USPS Team colors first, and nude carbon in October or November, according to my lbs. I ordered one sight unseen once my bike shop was able to get me some specs. And those specs more than made up for the price difference of the 04's on sale.

So it might be worth the wait if it is a big enough upgrade. If not, put down a deposit soon. Good Luck

Seems strange that Trek would issue USPS colors/logo when the team will only exist for another five months.

What is the price on a Madone 5.2? Is it an OCLV 120 version?

kennf said:
Seems strange that Trek would issue USPS colors/logo when the team will only exist for another five months.

What is the price on a Madone 5.2? Is it an OCLV 120 version?
I agree, it is strange. But from what I have heard (from 2 independent sources), the Postal Service will still participate in sponsorship. But it will be a "quiet" type of sponsorship. Turns out that not too many people believe they should be paying increased rates on postal stuff to sponsor a sport that isn't as popular as, say baseball.

The team will remain, just the title sponsor will change.

MSRP price is ~$2900 for a 5.2 Madone. And it is a OCLV 120 version w/ a fork found on last year's 5500 and 5900.

I actually toured the Trek factory in Waterloo this last Friday. I saw both the nude carbon and the Postal color Madone 5.2 frame everywhere. I have a nude carbon one on order at my LBS, which will be my first road bike... :)

check this out:

Madone 5.2

I am looking to buy a trek 1500 and two different LBS's said the 2005's would be in this week (August 3rd) at the same price ($999)

Deafcon said:
I actually toured the Trek factory in Waterloo this last Friday. I saw both the nude carbon and the Postal color Madone 5.2 frame everywhere. I have a nude carbon one on order at my LBS, which will be my first road bike... :)

check this out:

Madone 5.2

Deafcon said:

check this out:

Madone 5.2
How did you get the address?

I have been looking on the trek website for their other models, and couldn't find any!!

ItalianStallion said:
How did you get the address?

I have been looking on the trek website for their other models, and couldn't find any!!
It is not on their website yet. I also found it, through an eBay member selling a Madone 5.2. Trek has replied to me that the specs will "officially" be released at the end of August.

DEAFCON: When did your LBS say that you would get your Nude 5.2?? I originally wanted nude, but the wait would have been too long. I was told (as was my LBS by Trek) that the white/blue would be released first. Did you hear the same??

kenright said:
It is not on their website yet. I also found it, through an eBay member selling a Madone 5.2. Trek has replied to me that the specs will "officially" be released at the end of August.

DEAFCON: When did your LBS say that you would get your Nude 5.2?? I originally wanted nude, but the wait would have been too long. I was told (as was my LBS by Trek) that the white/blue would be released first. Did you hear the same??

They actually don't know yet. They can order both colors through their ordering system, but that doesn't mean that they will ship. They told me Trek is officially releasing most of the '05 line when they have their dealer show in Madison on the weekend of august 13th. They should know more then. As a side note, when I was in Waterloo, of the Madone 5.2 frames I saw, about 70% seemed to be in the postal colors. There was a box of about 8-10 frames on the loading dock, and they were all the nude madone 5.2. Maybe I should have backed my truck up to the dock and seen if they would have loaded them up for me... :p

Fuji Rider said:
http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2005/road/1500.jsp

Also one of my local bike store said they already have one, but i bought a Fuji Team bike last week instead.

I just got home from the LBS and purchased my 2005 trek 1500 for $1019, its $20 more than last year but you get the carbon seatpost and bontrager stem, not bad for twenty bucks. however, i like the paint scheme on the 2004 better.

UPDATE:

They Postal color madone 5.2's are in some dealers all ready. Penn Cycle in the Twin Cities(MN) area has a 60cm and a 58cm. I was bored at work today, so I called a couple of Trek dealers in my area...

As a side note, the Trek dealer in my home town told me today they expect the black one I ordered in a week or two. I don't know if they actually know this, but I did see black Madone 5.2 frames in quantity at the Plant in Waterloo Wisconsin, so my fingers are crossed... :)

mksalazar said:
I just got home from the LBS and purchased my 2005 trek 1500 for $1019, its $20 more than last year but you get the carbon seatpost and bontrager stem, not bad for twenty bucks. however, i like the paint scheme on the 2004 better.
I don't imagine you have ridden it much but how do you like it? I am debating between the 1500 and 2100. I am just starting to ride so not sure I need the 2100. Didn't realize the 2005 had the carbon seapost. Does yours still come with the front tiagra? I too, like the 2004 color scheme better. I believe the 2005 is mostly white with some red and blue towards the front?