2005 Veloce 10 speed or 2005 Shimano 105 with half Ultegra

Yuri Budilov

Guest
Greetings

I am sorry if this question starts a religious argument.

I am considering a 2005 new road bike where the overall price is very
similar

Specialized Tarmac Comp/Roubaix Elite with half 105 and half Ultegra 9 speed
versus a Bianchi 928 with 10 Speed Veloce. The Bianchi is about 10% dearer
than Specialized.

Full specs of these bikes are on the web for those interested.....

I would like to know opinions comparing these two group sets. Where does
Veloce fit as compared to Shimano? As good as 105? Better? Same?

thank you in advance

--
Yuri

yuri-<< I am considering a 2005 new road bike where the overall price is very
similar >><BR><BR>
<< Specialized Tarmac Comp/Roubaix Elite with half 105 and half Ultegra 9 speed

versus a Bianchi 928 with 10 Speed Veloce. The Bianchi is about 10% dearer
than Specialized >><BR><BR>

Remember that 9s ultegra is being discontinued, so the 2005 1/2 ultegra 9s is
actually a 2004/5 bicycle.

BUT even so, get the Campagnolo. For no other reason that the ERGO is more
repairable, maiontainable over the lonbg haul. STI is throwaway if after the 2
yr warranty for 105 or ultegra.

Veloce price wise is similar to 105 but the ERGO design is superior to even DA,
IMV.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

I ride Campagnolo equipped road bikes. Both 9 speeds. I am confident
I can get 9 speed parts for a long time to come. But if I were buying
a new from scratch Campagnolo group, I would choose 10 speed. Even
though you can still buy the Campagnolo 9 speed groups. I'd rather
have the current standard for number of cogs.

With your selection, you can get the standard 10 speed Campagnolo
group which has been around for 4 years now. Or you can get the
almost out of date 9 speed Shimano group. Dura Ace was 10 speed last
year and Ultegra is 10 speed this year. Any 9 speed group, whether
Campagnolo or Shimano would not really interest me if I were buying a
new bike and not getting a can't pass up discount.

You'll have to decide yourself on whether you like the Campagnolo Ergo
shifters or the Shimano STI shifters. Just get 10 speed in either
one.

"Yuri Budilov" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Greetings
>
> I am sorry if this question starts a religious argument.
>
> I am considering a 2005 new road bike where the overall price is very
> similar
>
> Specialized Tarmac Comp/Roubaix Elite with half 105 and half Ultegra 9 speed
> versus a Bianchi 928 with 10 Speed Veloce. The Bianchi is about 10% dearer
> than Specialized.
>
> Full specs of these bikes are on the web for those interested.....
>
> I would like to know opinions comparing these two group sets. Where does
> Veloce fit as compared to Shimano? As good as 105? Better? Same?
>
> thank you in advance

"Russell Seaton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> You'll have to decide yourself on whether you like the Campagnolo Ergo
> shifters or the Shimano STI shifters. Just get 10 speed in either
> one.

Agree, the most important choice is FIT. Which bike fits you better. Part of
that fit is which lever you prefer. Try them both and see.

"bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Russell Seaton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > You'll have to decide yourself on whether you like the Campagnolo Ergo
> > shifters or the Shimano STI shifters. Just get 10 speed in either
> > one.
> >

> Agree, the most important choice is FIT. Which bike fits you better. Part of
> that fit is which lever you prefer. Try them both and see.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2004/reviews/shimano_dura-ace

"Evan Evans" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> "Russell Seaton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> > You'll have to decide yourself on whether you like the Campagnolo Ergo
>> > shifters or the Shimano STI shifters. Just get 10 speed in either
>> > one.
>> >

>> Agree, the most important choice is FIT. Which bike fits you better. Part
>> of
>> that fit is which lever you prefer. Try them both and see.

> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2004/reviews/shimano_dura-ace

Thank you everyone!

mangoes-<< On the aesthetic front, is it just me or does that group have a
serious
fugliness quotient? >><BR><BR>

Agree, the crank and how high the levers sit into the air...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302