2006 Campag Eurus not compatible with 9 speed

saddlebags

Apr 24, 2006
Just made a big scr*w up and could do with some advice. I have a 9 speed road bike and decided to upgrade the wheels to the 2006 Campag Eurus wheelset. I bought them online and made the schoolboy error of throwing the packaging away. I realised too late that they come with a 10 speed hub and the online shop won't take them back. Nightmare!

Anyways as I see it I have 2 choices:
1. Sell the wheels and buy others that are compatible with my 9 speed bike.
2. Buy new 10 speed levers and rear mech (along with the cassette that I was going to put on with the new wheels anyways).

Both options mean losing money for sure. Any thoughts? I hope someone might tell me I'm missing something but I'm not hopeful. ??

saddlebags said:
Just made a big scr*w up and could do with some advice. I have a 9 speed road bike and decided to upgrade the wheels to the 2006 Campag Eurus wheelset. I bought them online and made the schoolboy error of throwing the packaging away. I realised too late that they come with a 10 speed hub and the online shop won't take them back. Nightmare!

2. Buy new 10 speed levers and rear mech (along with the cassette that I was going to put on with the new wheels anyways).

Both options mean losing money for sure. Any thoughts? I hope someone might tell me I'm missing something but I'm not hopeful. ??

Your 9 speed Campy cassette will fit fine.

BigDog57 said:
Your 9 speed Campy cassette will fit fine.

Yep, 9 and 10 speed campag hubs are the same. Just take the cassette off your old wheels, lob it onto the new ones and ride away... :0)

saddlebags said:

You did not specify if Shimano or Campagnolo cassette.

If you have the Shimano compatible Eurus, then I believe that you are correct that 9s will not fit, as they went with a Dura-Ace type freehub for the Shimano compatible Eurus and Zonda.

John M said:
You did not specify if Shimano or Campagnolo cassette.

If you have the Shimano compatible Eurus, then I believe that you are correct that 9s will not fit, as they went with a Dura-Ace type freehub for the Shimano compatible Eurus and Zonda.
Yes sorry should have mentioned that they're shimano and as you say, John M, they do have the Dura-Ace type freehub.

saddlebags said:
Yes sorry should have mentioned that they're shimano and as you say, John M, they do have the Dura-Ace type freehub.
I don't think there's any way to re-space a Shimano 10s cassette. Your LBS might be able to get you a 9 speed freehub body, but it's probably going to be about $100.

saddlebags said:

I think I may know a way that you may be able to do 9s with your current drivetrain on these wheels. It involves some expense but cheaper than going all 10s or getting another set of wheels.

1. Obtain an Ultegra (or Dura-Ace) 10s cassette with an 11T small cog. Remove the 11T and replace with a spacer equivalent in width to the cog and place this between the large cassette cog and the freehub. You will end up with a 9s cassette with 10s spacing. You would be left with 12T as your smallest cog.

2. Get a Jtek Shiftmate (model #2) and install it on your derailleur such as to allow Shimano 9s to shift 10s spaced cassette.

3. Use a 10s chain.

4. Adjust your rear derailleur stops to align the derailleur as you usually would.

I have not done this, but I think that it would work. You would basically convert your 9s drivetrain to 10s spacing but use only 9s cogs. If you wanted to upgrade to 10s in the future, you would just need new shifters since you would already have the cassette and chain. 9s rear mech works fine with 10s chains and cassettes. Just remove the shiftmate when converting to 10s.

John M said:
I think I may know a way that you may be able to do 9s with your current drivetrain on these wheels. It involves some expense but cheaper than going all 10s or getting another set of wheels.

1. Obtain an Ultegra (or Dura-Ace) 10s cassette with an 11T small cog. Remove the 11T and replace with a spacer equivalent in width to the cog and place this between the large cassette cog and the freehub. You will end up with a 9s cassette with 10s spacing. You would be left with 12T as your smallest cog.

2. Get a Jtek Shiftmate (model #2) and install it on your derailleur such as to allow Shimano 9s to shift 10s spaced cassette.

3. Use a 10s chain.

4. Adjust your rear derailleur stops to align the derailleur as you usually would.

I have not done this, but I think that it would work. You would basically convert your 9s drivetrain to 10s spacing but use only 9s cogs. If you wanted to upgrade to 10s in the future, you would just need new shifters since you would already have the cassette and chain. 9s rear mech works fine with 10s chains and cassettes. Just remove the shiftmate when converting to 10s.
Hi guys,

I did as Artmichalek suggested and put a 9sp hub body on it and that did the trick. Thanks to you all for your help.

Much appreciated!