2006 Centaur

PeterF

Sep 13, 2004
I picked up 2006 Centaur shifters and rear derailleur for a cross project last winter and used it for racing this year. I run 2006 Record on my road bikes. At the risk of sounding crazy, I actually prefer the Centaur. Stiffer, more positive, and the alum paddle feels better than the plastic ones on Record. Am I crazy for prefering a lesser groupset? Do I need help?

The plastic shift paddles ARE flexible and feel wimpy. I haven't managed to break one in two seasons of use and abuse, but they do have me wondering just how long they'll hold up.

CAMPYBOB said:
The plastic shift paddles ARE flexible and feel wimpy. I haven't managed to break one in two seasons of use and abuse, but they do have me wondering just how long they'll hold up.
They do flex a bit. Centaur still has an alloy option for 2009 but I hear it is a far cry from the 06 stuff.

PeterF said:
I picked up 2006 Centaur shifters and rear derailleur for a cross project last winter and used it for racing this year. I run 2006 Record on my road bikes. At the risk of sounding crazy, I actually prefer the Centaur. Stiffer, more positive, and the alum paddle feels better than the plastic ones on Record. Am I crazy for prefering a lesser groupset? Do I need help?

If your Record is 'ultra' with the fiber type spring carrier, Centaur with a metal spring carrier, may seem crisper. In addition, if the Record has seen some miles, it may need new shift springs.

PeterF said:
They do flex a bit. Centaur still has an alloy option for 2009 but I hear it is a far cry from the 06 stuff.

After having installed all the levels of Campagnolo 2009 stuff, have to say 2009 levers have great shape and ergonomics , and very nice 'feel', shifting up and down on both sides. ALL the function is there with a great feel, when compared to 2006 Centaur and 2007/8 Record and Chorus. PLUS very robust, completely different innards for 2009 that promises to not need repair like the older spring carrier/shift springs of the older design.

Also LIKE the idea that Centaur has aluminum and carbon lever options well as aluminum rear derailleur and aluminum cranks as well.

Peter@vecchios said:
After having installed all the levels of Campagnolo 2009 stuff, have to say 2009 levers have great shape and ergonomics , and very nice 'feel', shifting up and down on both sides. ALL the function is there with a great feel, when compared to 2006 Centaur and 2007/8 Record and Chorus. PLUS very robust, completely different innards for 2009 that promises to not need repair like the older spring carrier/shift springs of the older design.

Also LIKE the idea that Centaur has aluminum and carbon lever options well as aluminum rear derailleur and aluminum cranks as well.
Does 09 Centaur have the chain dump feature?

Peter@vecchios said:

Peter, are the 2009 shifters good enough to grace your WATERFORD?

alfeng said:
Peter, are the 2009 shifters good enough to grace your WATERFORD?

Like the guy that works on 2008 Toyotas but drives a 1957 Chevy, my Waterford and Moots sport downtube FRICTION shifters, freewheels, tubulars. Waterford has a 1987 Campagnolo C-Record DELTA group right down to the hubs. I really like 2009 Campagnolo, particularly when compared to shimano 7900(up 100% in price) and Sram, the distant third in my choices.

Peter@vecchios said:

Hi Peter,

I have read reports from people who have disassembled the 09 Centaur and Super Record ergos that they both have bearings on the index shaft that confirms the accuracy on the Campag spare parts illustrations but contradicts the website itself the use of bushings on Centaur, Chorus and Veloce.

I have also read that the 09 Record and Chorus Ultrashift ergos are identical with the exception of the lettering on the brake lever. From your experience can you confirm this is the case and bearings are in fact on the Chorus ergos, not bushings?

There is definitely a difference in feel when shifting with the right finger lever between 10 and 11 speed. The 11 speed maintains the traditional campag click where the 10 speed is much smoother with much less feedback. The reason has been quoted as being the difference in the index plates (10 speed = EC-CE160 and 11 speed = EC-SR013 from the campag spare parts PDF) where there is a much bigger indent in the 11 speed plate.

Ainsie said:
Hi Peter,

I have read reports from people who have disassembled the 09 Centaur and Super Record ergos that they both have bearings on the index shaft that confirms the accuracy on the Campag spare parts illustrations but contradicts the website itself the use of bushings on Centaur, Chorus and Veloce.

I have also read that the 09 Record and Chorus Ultrashift ergos are identical with the exception of the lettering on the brake lever. From your experience can you confirm this is the case and bearings are in fact on the Chorus ergos, not bushings?

There is definitely a difference in feel when shifting with the right finger lever between 10 and 11 speed. The 11 speed maintains the traditional campag click where the 10 speed is much smoother with much less feedback. The reason has been quoted as being the difference in the index plates (10 speed = EC-CE160 and 11 speed = EC-SR013 from the campag spare parts PDF) where there is a much bigger indent in the 11 speed plate.

Haven't had the Chorus lever apart so can't confirm this.

Ainsie said:
Hi Peter,

The Chorus 11s ERGO seemed to have a lighter feel than SR and Record. SR seemed the most 'clicky' with Record in between. BUT all 5 levers feel reay good both ergonomically and in shift feel.

I do get tired about prices tho. Altho high for Campagnolo, it should be mentioned that 7900 with a carbon crank is more expensive than SuperRecord. Cranks seem to always get mentioned but with the shimano carbon(IF it ets to market) is going to be $1300. Centaur carbon isn't that much more than 6600. No surprise that Sram Red is less expensive considering where they source things like chainrings and bearings. Look whizbang but innards wise, pretty cheap.

Peter@vecchios said:
Altho high for Campagnolo, it should be mentioned that 7900 with a carbon crank is more expensive than SuperRecord. Cranks seem to always get mentioned but with the shimano carbon(IF it ets to market) is going to be $1300.
Love my Centaur alloy crank. Glad I got the 08's as they have gone to crappy chainrings for 09.

$1300 for a crank (reinforced with alloy) seems a little ridiculous to me (but then again I am considering spending a fair but for 1 extra gear that I don't need!)

Ainsie said:
Love my Centaur alloy crank. Glad I got the 08's as they have gone to crappy chainrings for 09.

$1300 for a crank (reinforced with alloy) seems a little ridiculous to me (but then again I am considering spending a fair but for 1 extra gear that I don't need!)

Good on Campagnolo for giving cyclists an aluminum option for Centaur in 2009. Rear derailleur aluminum body(not carbon) and carbon and aluminum levers for 2009. Yep, the chainrings are Veloce level, stamped alu but Campag and TA make higher end ones when ya wear them out.

Ainsie said:

Hmmm. Crappy, eh? What's so crappy about 'em?

alienator said:
Hmmm. Crappy, eh? What's so crappy about 'em?
As Peter says, 09 chainrings are stamped not machined. Veloce level where the 08's are Chorus level allegedly (in alloy version only the 08 carbon's are stamped as well)

Plenty good enough for me but the machined ones will last longer.

Ainsie said:
As Peter says, 09 chainrings are stamped not machined. Veloce level where the 08's are Chorus level allegedly (in alloy version only the 08 carbon's are stamped as well)

Plenty good enough for me but the machined ones will last longer.

I think the difference in working life between the two different chainrings is probably small enough to be insignificant. If there's a shifting difference, it's likely small as well. I've never found the difference worth even thinking about.

alienator said:
I think the difference in working life between the two different chainrings is probably small enough to be insignificant. If there's a shifting difference, it's likely small as well. I've never found the difference worth even thinking about.

Agree. It's in the look, not the performance. There is no shifting performance advantage to the higher end rings, zero.

BTW-the big ring on Centaur is stamped on the aluminum crank, the small ring is machined. For the carbon Centaur crank, both rings are Veloce type. For Veloce, same rings but black.

Peter@vecchios said:
If your Record is 'ultra' with the fiber type spring carrier, Centaur with a metal spring carrier, may seem crisper. In addition, if the Record has seen some miles, it may need new shift springs.
The Records are the ultra's and have about 13-14k miles on them. They still shift perfectly fine, but they lack the solid click of the Centaur.

Peter@vecchios said:
Like the guy that works on 2008 Toyotas but drives a 1957 Chevy, my Waterford and Moots sport downtube FRICTION shifters, freewheels, tubulars. Waterford has a 1987 Campagnolo C-Record DELTA group right down to the hubs. I really like 2009 Campagnolo, particularly when compared to shimano 7900(up 100% in price) and Sram, the distant third in my choices.
Peter, what is the largest tire that those DELTA brakes will allow?

Did you have Waterford braze the brake bridge in the 'normal' (39-49/50) position?