2006 Giants

KikyoMerc

Mar 31, 2005
Does anyone know about when to expect to be getting information/the release of the 2006 series Giants in USA. I am trying to decide whether I should buy a bike now, or wait for the 2006 series to be released.

KikyoMerc said:
Does anyone know about when to expect to be getting information/the release of the 2006 series Giants in USA. I am trying to decide whether I should buy a bike now, or wait for the 2006 series to be released.
Wait till the 06 models come out...then get an 05 model. You'll get basically the same bike, for much, much less.

cheers

Typically the new year models come in fall/early winter. That also depends on which model you're looking at. Giant released some 05 models as late as spring of this year.

I would wait for the 06 models, just to see what they do. But also, you might notice that the '05 bike you wanted, will be on sale to make room for the '06 models. If you're looking to get a carbon road bike from Giant, if its anything like the 05 models, there might be a bit of a waiting list.

What bike are you thinking of? Road or mountain? I wouldn't expect any major changes in the Maestro-type bikes (e.g., Trance), since it's a new design and very successful. A NRS replacement, based on the Trance is expected. I also doubt there will be any major changes to the OCR and TCR road bike ranges, since they've also been very successful. I'm guessing the only changes other than minor build kit revisions will be color schemes. So, if you don't like the 05 colors, or you want to take a gamble the the 05 that you want (in your size) will be available on sale, wait for the 06 models to come out. Otherwise, go ahead and get that bike you like.

StartTday said:
If you're looking to get a carbon road bike from Giant, if its anything like the 05 models, there might be a bit of a waiting list.
Shameless plug... my friend's shop (in my sig) has a bunch of carbon Giants in stock. Largest allotment in the US. TCR 0, 1, 2... OCRs too. Mt. Tam Bikes

If you go to giant's website, then go to UK, they have about half of the 06 models listed already. Not sure if the UK and USA models will be the exact same though.

I am looking at getting a TCR2 or an OCR1. I would like to start doing criteriums and/or road races, and am looking for my first bike. The only problem I have with waiting is that I can't really start training until I get my new bike then. I have a single speed, but it needs some work.

Jarery said:
If you go to giant's website, then go to UK, they have about half of the 06 models listed already. Not sure if the UK and USA models will be the exact same though.
From personal experience the UK Spec stuff won't be as good as the US kit. I bought an OCR 3 in INDY last year (I'm UK based), it was much better than the UK Spec at the time.

The 06 OCR's over here do seem to have gone up a level in spec, tigra rear mech, from sora and a few nicer bits. Generally though they are similar. I guess a lot will depend on discounts available on 05 stock.

My bike store told me they may offer an OCR in the Advanced lighter and stiffer frame material. I am trying to find out now from my dealer who will meet the rep later this week. The OCR if avaialble in the Advanced version would be great as the OCR is designed with a triple in mind. The TCR may not take a triple although I saw a post where someone had one with a Campy Centaur working fine. I have a record group ready to go but am a little gunshy of trying it only to find it will not work.

lakeviewbiker said:
My bike store told me they may offer an OCR in the Advanced lighter and stiffer frame material. I am trying to find out now from my dealer who will meet the rep later this week. The OCR if avaialble in the Advanced version would be great as the OCR is designed with a triple in mind. The TCR may not take a triple although I saw a post where someone had one with a Campy Centaur working fine. I have a record group ready to go but am a little gunshy of trying it only to find it will not work.

The 2006 TCR Composite 2 does have a triple but it is currently the only carbon composite that Giant make with a triple chainring

KikyoMerc said:
I am looking at getting a TCR2 or an OCR1. I would like to start doing criteriums and/or road races, and am looking for my first bike. The only problem I have with waiting is that I can't really start training until I get my new bike then. I have a single speed, but it needs some work.
Keep in mind that 10 speed 105 may be on some 2006 models if you are interested in that.

If you go to Giants site and then pick Australia as your country you will see new paint and models. I liked the Integrated Seat post model and called Giant who advised that the bike will not be sold in US.

If their 06 bikes are anything like their 05 bikes, the US spec bikes will vary in both build and colors compared to the Australia spec bikes. The differences weren't major (e.g., gold vs. silver frame, FSA K-Force crank vs. Dura Ace crank, etc).

friedmikey said:
If their 06 bikes are anything like their 05 bikes, the US spec bikes will vary in both build and colors compared to the Australia spec bikes. The differences weren't major (e.g., gold vs. silver frame, FSA K-Force crank vs. Dura Ace crank, etc).

How do you like your TCR. I am going to test ride one tommorrow. It is a large with 90 stem. I see from the Australia site that in 2006 there will be a M/L which I believe will be the best fit for me.

I absolutely adore my TCR. I'm going through TCR withdrawals right now - I just had shoulder surgery for a broken clavicle, etc. and won't be able to ride it for at least another couple of months. At least it's stored at my friend's shop right now, so I don't have to see it sitting around the house teasing me.

Your own test ride will tell what you want to know better than I could, but I'll guess you won't be disappointed. I got mine after trying comparable bikes from Specialized, Orbea, Look, Marin, Trek, and Ridley, etc. It's a good balance of power (stiffness) and compliance for my tastes - more on the power side, but not as harsh as the likes of the Ridleys. My #2 choice would have been a Look. Hope you like it!