2006 PowerTap SL ?

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by jimbonnet, Nov 28, 2005.

1. jimbonnet

jimbonnet New Member

I'm looking for information about the 2006 PowerTap SL. I don't see anything on cycleops website about improvements, changes, etc. Does anyone here know any 'secret' info on the newest taps?

Thanks.
    Jim

Tags:

2. BlueJersey

BlueJersey New Member

Would there be a newer model??? Look how long it takes for the SL to come out after the Pro released.

3. jimbonnet

jimbonnet New Member

:) Well I do not know. Thats why I asked. If something wonderful and earthshaking is comming from them I'll wait to buy. Otherwise I'll just get one now.

Thanks-
    Jim Bonnet

4. BlueJersey

BlueJersey New Member

I know they are working on the wireless SL version. There is no report as to which team is testing the "prototype."

5. jimbonnet

jimbonnet New Member

Thanks for the info... While wireless would be cool it is not worth waiting for.

Cheers-
    Jim

6. peterpen

peterpen New Member

No change between 05 and 06 SL's. Rumour has the wireless version out late this year. However, given the problems the SL had when it was first released, who knows how reliable the first release of the wireless version will be? I just purchased a SL and am very happy w/it.

7. jimbonnet

jimbonnet New Member

cool.. Thanks alot.

8. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

I don't think the manufacturing problems they had with the SL ("O" rings) is predictive of problems with the wireless SL. The wireless SL basically involves different transmitters for the strain gauges inside the hub and the wireless receiver in the computer. They would appear to have the technology working because it was used in this year's TdF. I don't see why they would need to change the hub seal.

9. peterpen

peterpen New Member

I'm not predicting that the wireless version will have similar problems to the SL, just that there is the *possibility* of problems with early versions based on the SL's track record. Just because something was used in the TdF doesn't mean it's reliable, especially something in the nature of a PM (ie, non-essential.)
    However, PT's customer service is reputed to be excellent, so if there are problems they should sort you out.

But maybe my skepticism stems from my envy at the possibility of not having wires and a half-dozen zip ties cluttering up my bike! :D

10. BlueJersey

BlueJersey New Member

I am Ok with the wire. I actually twisted them into a single pair and put some black electric tape around it. The pair is routed along the top tube via the rear brake cable. Then, behind the seat tube and to the left chainstay.

11. bcarroll

bcarroll New Member

Here is the information from Competitive Cyclist:

Power Tap SL Wireless. Yes, it does exist. We saw it in the flesh. It was what Floyd Landis used during the 2005 Tour de France, and by all reports it functioned exceptionally well. Now comes the hard part: Manufacturing thousands of them, not just a handful of prototypes. The challenges are many: The hub internals and cpu will both be different from the wired SL, and perhaps coolest (and most difficult) of all is the fact that the hub will transmit data directly to the cpu. This means that there will be no transmitter on the stays of your frame -- giving your bike a cleaner look than what you get from any other wireless cpu.

Four important facts: (1) If you have a current Power Tap SL, it's impractical (though not impossible) to upgrade it to a wireless system. By the time you pay for the new hub electronics and the new cpu, you're nearly at the cost of the whole system. (2) As of this moment, Cycleops is estimating that it will cost $300 more than the wired SL. (3) The reality of availability ain't pretty: These won't be released for sale until June 2006 at the earliest. If you're enthusiastic about the notion of training with power now, it's inadvisable to delay your purchase for 9 months to wait for wireless. (4) The name of the wireless system will apparently be the Power Tap SL 2.4, in reference to its 2.4GHz transmission frequency.

12. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

That all sounds correct to me, including the ability to replace the SL hub electronics. The issue I would be concerned about is the battery. If they needed to go to a battery with different dimensions (e.g., more power), that would have caused problems. But, it sounds as though they didn't need to do that to power the 2.4GHz transmitter. The new version will simplify things for using PT wheels on multiple bikes.

13. jimbonnet

jimbonnet New Member

For grins I shot an email to cycleops/saris. I got a fast and kind response to my question. Yes.. Wireless is comming. When? No release date. They are excited about it however and I'm sure there will be a marketing blitz. The ones available are for testing and demo units. It will be called powertap 2.4

take care.
    jim

14. dkrenik

dkrenik Member

From "Competitive Cyclists" low-down on 2005 Interbike:

Power Tap SL Wireless. Yes, it does exist. We saw it in the flesh. It was what Floyd Landis used during the 2005 Tour de France, and by all reports it functioned exceptionally well. Now comes the hard part: Manufacturing thousands of them, not just a handful of prototypes. The challenges are many: The hub internals and cpu will both be different from the wired SL, and perhaps coolest (and most difficult) of all is the fact that the hub will transmit data directly to the cpu. This means that there will be no transmitter on the stays of your frame -- giving your bike a cleaner look than what you get from any other wireless cpu.

Four important facts: (1) If you have a current Power Tap SL, it's impractical (though not impossible) to upgrade it to a wireless system. By the time you pay for the new hub electronics and the new cpu, you're nearly at the cost of the whole system. (2) As of this moment, Cycleops is estimating that it will cost $300 more than the wired SL. (3) The reality of availability ain't pretty: These won't be released for sale until June 2006 at the earliest. If you're enthusiastic about the notion of training with power now, it's inadvisable to delay your purchase for 9 months to wait for wireless. (4) The name of the wireless system will apparently be the Power Tap SL 2.4, in reference to its 2.4GHz transmission frequency.

15. timetrialone

timetrialone New Member

From what I have seen in some industry catalogs, it is wireless, from the hub to the cpu. It works on 2.4GHz, hence the name SL 2.4. However, the cadence pick up is still wired. Also, it will have 15 hours of recording memory vs. 7 on the standard SL. It is approx 300 bucks more retail than the standard SL. Oh, and finally, they are also making matching carbon windowed front hubs with 20, 24, 32 spoke hole drillings. Expect them to retail for about 110-130 or so. They weigh about 130 grams and do not include skewer.

16. Macey

Macey New Member

Any update on this? Hanging out to by an SL, but may wait if the 2.4 is about to be released.

17. peterpen

peterpen New Member

No word on 'real' date for 2.4 and, given Saris' track record on releasing then refining products, I'd give it at least 12 months after initial release before I considered purchasing one.

If you go with the PT SL, try and make sure that it is new stock. They shut down production for all of May for a redesign, so brand new units are different than old ones (supposedly more waterproof.)

18. Macey

Macey New Member

Thanks Peter.

But how do you tell new from old? I have also heard that the newer PowerTaps are shipping with 15 hours of memory, but the older ones only have 7 hours.

Ask the shops to take the CPU out of package and turn on to check firmware version?

19. peterpen

peterpen New Member

Sorry, I'm not sure how to tell the difference. I'd call Saris and ask them.
    I haven't heard anything about expanded memory. 7 hrs at 1sec is plenty in my experience, but when I travel I take a laptop for downloads and always DL after each ride.

20. palewin

palewin New Member

Not sure exactly how to relate the announcement of the new "SLX" to the SL 2.4, but the current issue of Bicycling mentions a new PowerTap SLX model, which is lighter due to a carbon fiber axle and ceramic bearings, which is wireless, and will be available in 2007. The new model will be used by some riders in the upcoming Tour de France. What wasn't clear in the comments was whether the SLX is a model planned to come out after the 2.4 (i.e. use the wireless electronics of the 2.4 and add the CF axle and ceramic bearings) or if the SLX is going to be the first wireless model released, superceding the 2.4 (and making the SL the top-of-the-line PT for all of 2006).