2006 Shelby Ford Mustang Cobra

jaguar75

Apr 21, 2004
I saw the unveiling of the new 2006 Mustang Cobra the other day and I have to say I am a little disappointed. About the only good feature is the 450 supercharged horses under the hood and the 19" rims all around. Beyond that it is...well..plain. I especially don't like the fact that Carol Shelby's name is attached to the car. It seems that everything these days is Shelby this and shelby that. Don't get me wrong the man is a legend but what do you think he had to do with this car...

I love the fact that Ford retro'd the lines of the mustang back to the 60's...that was definatley a home run...I was just expecting this Cobra to have some radical body work to supplement that beast under the hood...

jaguar75 said:
I especially don't like the fact that Carol Shelby's name is attached to the car.
I agree, i was expecting a great classic car associated with Shelby and the British manufacturer AC (whose body is used in the original Shelby Cobra)..

What on earth is 'Mustang Cobra'?...i can see the Mustang in there and i like the 2005 and previous Mustangs but those Cobra lines have gone....swallowed up.

Have Shelby any plans of keeping the Cobra alive in its own right?

Seems like another great British/American classic bites the dust.

Seems the way for classic British cars these days...MG will survive the current colapse of Rover because of thier racing teams and sponsorship revenues associated with the BTCC and WTCC etc. and all the rich enthusiasts that love MG but the marque is a shadow of its former glory...

MountainPro said:
Shelby Cobra (American Ford)
http://www.cars-on-line.com/11500/65cobra11507-A.jpg

AC Cobra (British AC Cars)
http://www.mcarsweb.com/ac/cobra427.jpg

where did this classic design go?

Gooday H, I agree where have the classics gone?

However in the old country there are/is/are a plethora of cars, they may not be the real Mckoy but "DAX Engineering", Harlow, Essex do a very good replica of the classic Cobra. Google them and have a look, you can even download a screensaver of the same. www.daxcars.co.uk

There are also several others that turn out a very tasty looking kit too, the Magazine "Which Kit Car" is a good read, expensive out here but a good read anyway. Check out the December 2004 edition, it says "Worlds Fastest Car" this is a kit car too and very impressive, the car is an "ULTIMA GTR". The power comes from a 640bhp V8 Chevy 5.7litre and it saw off such things as McLaren F1 LM, Ferrari Enzo, Porsche Carrera Gt, Lamborghini Murcielago. The boast of 0-100-0mph 10.3 secs, 0-60mph in 2.7 secs and 0-100mph in 5.5 secs.

My favourite has always been a "Lotus Seven", Caterham, Tiger, Raw, there are so many. Dax also have one of those, well I say one, but it can be built in many forms, I have just recently helped out a younger guy here to build a seven replica. It was imported by another bloke (Airline Pilot) with grand idea's of building it, but it sat under his for almost two years. He eventually sold it and my mate bought it almost complete except for the running gear. The donor parts are from a mixture of older bangers but all has been refurbished back to new, well almost new. The Donk is a Toyota 4AGE Twin Cam 1600cc developing 200bhp with a ceiling of 8000rpm.

He was going to road register it but has decided to use it as a competition and hill climb car. He tested it at our local raceway and he's very impressed with the performance of the beast, needless to say I had a cabby of it and it does what it is supposed to do, frighten the pant off the unsuspecting. Heart rate went to well over the limit 182bpm, but it was great while it lasted can't wait for the next testing session.

Ok that's it for now catch yer round, TBC

MountainPro said:
What on earth is 'Mustang Cobra'

MountainPro...The Mustang Cobra is the high performance version of the Mustang GT. The Cobra is sometimes called SVT (Special Vehicle Team). This car is always significantly more powerful and has a very disticnt throaty sound from the exhaust that ford uses only on this car. Here is a picture of the 2006 Mustang Cobra
2005 Ford Mustang Cobra

You also asked about what ever happened to the Original Cobra. Well Ford decided to make a new generation Cobra that supposedly Carol Shelby had something to do with. This car is also going to be featured in the new *** action movie...without Vin Diesel ofcourse...Here it is!
2004 Ford Shelby Cobra Concept Car

There has been a lot of rumor going around that this car will go to production in 2006 and the production version will not alter much!!!

We shall see!!!

jaguar75 said:
MountainPro...The Mustang Cobra is the high performance version of the Mustang GT. The Cobra is sometimes called SVT (Special Vehicle Team). This car is always significantly more powerful and has a very disticnt throaty sound from the exhaust that ford uses only on this car. Here is a picture of the 2006 Mustang Cobra
2005 Ford Mustang Cobra

You also asked about what ever happened to the Original Cobra. Well Ford decided to make a new generation Cobra that supposedly Carol Shelby had something to do with. This car is also going to be featured in the new *** action movie...without Vin Diesel ofcourse...Here it is!
2004 Ford Shelby Cobra Concept Car

There has been a lot of rumor going around that this car will go to production in 2006 and the production version will not alter much!!!

We shall see!!!
the Cobra concept has been around for a few years, i just thought it wasnt be be renewed for 2006..

yes, the deep throaty sounds of Ford muscle cars...very impressive. This is what i really am looking forward to during my trip to the states in June.

Actually last summer i saw a very very rare sight in the UK. A Dodge Viper just strolling along the main street in our town...what a sound...the buildings shook (almost) i do believe they are illegal here because of emmision regulations...but the 8 litre V10 engine in those things are incredible. I wish i had my camera...

jag,
i know what you mean. always had a thing for a tuff 64 1/2 with the widened fender box flares and glass front end. bumpers removed, minimalist push bars added. super wide steel wheels and full roll cage. racing bucket and 5 point harness belt. side exit pipes. way too loud. lumpy idle from lunatic cam.
rocking around from solid motor mounts, shaking. smoking just a bit from rich mixture and no smog control. does not really belong on the street.
white with blue stripes. traction bars peeking out below.
no one wants to make eye contact at the light in their modern car.
their girlfriends might, though.
the retro look does bring some soul back, though.

jaguar75 said:
I saw the unveiling of the new 2006 Mustang Cobra the other day and I have to say I am a little disappointed. About the only good feature is the 450 supercharged horses under the hood and the 19" rims all around. Beyond that it is...well..plain. I especially don't like the fact that Carol Shelby's name is attached to the car. It seems that everything these days is Shelby this and shelby that. Don't get me wrong the man is a legend but what do you think he had to do with this car...

I love the fact that Ford retro'd the lines of the mustang back to the 60's...that was definatley a home run...I was just expecting this Cobra to have some radical body work to supplement that beast under the hood...

MountainPro said:
Actually last summer i saw a very very rare sight in the UK. A Dodge Viper just strolling along the main street in our town...what a sound...the buildings shook (almost) i do believe they are illegal here because of emmision regulations...but the 8 litre V10 engine in those things are incredible. I wish i had my camera...

AFAIK they are road-legal here. TVR Tuscans sound even better, and in practice they are a lot quicker. :)

Hypnospin said:
jag,
i know what you mean. always had a thing for a tuff 64 1/2 with the widened fender box flares and glass front end. bumpers removed, minimalist push bars added. super wide steel wheels and full roll cage. racing bucket and 5 point harness belt. side exit pipes. way too loud. lumpy idle from lunatic cam.
rocking around from solid motor mounts, shaking. smoking just a bit from rich mixture and no smog control. does not really belong on the street.
white with blue stripes. traction bars peeking out below.
no one wants to make eye contact at the light in their modern car.
their girlfriends might, though.
the retro look does bring some soul back, though.

I too am disapointed. My first ride was a 65 convertible ,but the downfall to those years,the suspension and no frame. Unibody contruction.
I traded it for a 71 Mach 1,good handling but lacked the horses in the Cleveland 351 unless you modified the stock version and then you could achieve 500 hp easy.
My favortite 1970 Shelby GT 500,but I would love to have the 65 back.
I guess the new Mustang is to me,for a better term,"too redneck looking" for my taste.

darkboong said:
AFAIK they are road-legal here. TVR Tuscans sound even better, and in practice they are a lot quicker. :)
here? are you in the UK,

yes, most cars can be modified to be road legal in the UK, its the emission regulations.

The TVR Tuscan is one of those cars, it looks ugly in photos but is one stunning beauty in real life. I have seen a few on the roads but always when i have been driving myself so never got a good listen to the engine.

they were the first to introduce that rainbow effect colours in the paint work...

MountainPro said:
here? are you in the UK,

yes, most cars can be modified to be road legal in the UK, its the emission regulations.

The TVR Tuscan is one of those cars, it looks ugly in photos but is one stunning beauty in real life. I have seen a few on the roads but always when i have been driving myself so never got a good listen to the engine.

they were the first to introduce that rainbow effect colours in the paint work...
No they weren't. Zippy and Bundle were the first.

MountainPro said:
here? are you in the UK,

What is the TVR? Can you show me a picture?

I know this isn't in the Mustang milieu, but it's one of the few high-end cars I like. Pagani Zonda Roadster. Has Mercedes power, carbon & titanium body & frame - the works. I don't think it's available for U.S.

http://www.paganiautomobili.it/

jhuskey said:
I guess the new Mustang is to me,for a better term,"too redneck looking" for my taste.

So you are saying Ford did a great job of designing the car for its intended market? :)

wilmar13 said:
So you are saying Ford did a great job of designing the car for its intended market? :)

Perspective my friend, perspective, each to his own, I drive an Audi because I like the way it looks and the way it drives.
I do not comdemn, I just can't relate.

Wurm said:
I know this isn't in the Mustang milieu, but it's one of the few high-end cars I like. Pagani Zonda Roadster. Has Mercedes power, carbon & titanium body & frame - the works. I don't think it's available for U.S.

http://www.paganiautomobili.it/

Very nice...It has some Lotus lines I think but overall a work of art. I would think that if you have the money to afford this car you could also afford to get it delivered to you in the states! :)

jaguar75 said:
Very nice...It has some Lotus lines I think but overall a work of art. I would think that if you have the money to afford this car you could also afford to get it delivered to you in the states! :)
the C12S with Merc/Benz V12 engine comes in at over $500,000. They are made to order. Just order one and they'll post it to you...

thats what i did..

FredC said:
No they weren't. Zippy and Bundle were the first.
zippy and bungle did drive a TVR its true, although ,Geoffrey always prefered the Aston Martin...(he had class) ...DB7 in British Racing Green...

MountainPro said:
zippy and bungle did drive a TVR its true, although ,Geoffrey always prefered the Aston Martin...(he had class) ...DB7 in British Racing Green...

Could not agree with you more...on the Aston Martin that is...There is nothing sexier on the road than the Vanquish...That car has impecible style, Ferrari performance, and Mercedez luxury all in one package...can't beat that!!!