2006 Specialized Tarmac.....

lorrod

Feb 7, 2005
Has anyone tried out the 2005 or 2006 Specialized Tarmac? What are your thoughts on it - good, bad, ugly??? How is it on longer rides - like 80+ miles? How was it in all types of racing?

I took a, S-Works Tarmac SL out for a jog while my S-Works E5 Tarmac was being built, just so the mechanic could give me a rolling idea of how it would fit when it was all said and done. Disclaimer: I have great distaste for Shimano components, especially as of late.

Ok, that being said, I did more than just take it "around the block", I took it out for a good 15 miles or so. Smooth, stiff, great ride, not much to complain about. Quick acceleration on the jump. Mind you, this was the SL, although with the K's ES wheelset.

I dont know if youre referring to the S-Works or something like the Tarmac Pro, but if it is anything like my E5 Tarmac or the SL I rode, you really cant go wrong.

I swear, it seems like I am seeing these bikes everywhere now.....not sure why exactly. I go to races and they're all over the place! Kinda like the 'Nagos back in the 80s.....or Bianchi.

Anyone else have any opinion on these bikes?

I've got one ordered, it'll be here this week. Muhuhahaha.

Down here in Davis they are everywhere, too. The race team is even sponsored by specialized, and they ALL ride them. I hope you don't have a 61cm expert in the team gerolsteiner on order, because you're competing for the same one I am. I'm thinking about how to bribe the specialized rep so he'll stake one out for me, as they're all sitting on a cargo ship in the harbor right now, waiting to be delivered.
I'll tell you that Specialized is my favorite company, and for the money, the Tarmacs are the way to go. I've heard good things about the comps, the pros, and the experts, too. Even up into the s works line, they're all really really good. They call it trickle down technology... specialized is a very technically innovative company... with frame designs, materials, and body geometry, the tarmacs (comp, expert, and pro) are supposedly on par with the top of the line 5 grand bikes of 2 years ago. You really can't go wrong.
I'd like to here who else on here has one and what they think about it. I'll certainly let you know how I like mine.