2006 Sydney 24 Hour Ramblings

petulance

Guest
(long list of ramblings ...)

So 3 enduro virgins decide to sign up as part of a 4 person team for the
12 hour option of the Sydney 24 hour held on April Fool's weekend. We
couldn't get a 4th rider in the team so we decided to participate as a trio.

The Track
- the event was held at Dargle Farm in Sydney's North West
- there were only 2 hard climbs on the track. The first was a sandy
climb right at the start and was a constant gradient that was sandy. As
soon as my front wheel got bogged in the sand, I decided to walk it.
Which I did for the rest of the event. The second was towards the end
and was harder as it was sandy, rocky and uneven. Not surprisingly, I
walked that one as well.
- the only hard downhill bit was towards the end, called "The Chute".
There was at least one major stack there ...
- there were 2 bits of single track, with the second bit being easier
than the first (I thought it flowed better).
- did I mention the track was sandy?

How I Went
- I had the misfortune of starting my first lap just a few minutes
before the rest of the 24 hour people did (the 12 hour event kicked off
at noon and the 24 hour event kicked off at 1pm, due to daylight
savings). I had just hit the first bit of single track and was really
stuffing it up when I see 3 fast riders approaching from behind. I
decided to unclip and move to the side to let them through. As I was
about to get back on the track, the rest of the 24 hour train steams
past. I reckon I waited for a good 5 - 7 minutes before I could get back
on the track.
- I also did the first lap at 6am for my team on the next day (the 12
hour version was broken into 2 six hour blocks over the weekend). I got
up with a hangover and looked at the time and sky and said ... "there is
no way they are going to start at 6am ... way too dark"). Wrong. As I
was munching on a muesli bar, the announcement came that the 12 hour
race was about to restart in 5 minutes. I put on my cycling gear as fast
as I can and raced to the start line.
- I don't think I have ever been as cold on a bike as I have this
morning at 6am. All I had were short fingered gloves, knicks, a jersey
and arm warmers. I had absolutely no feeling in my fingers and toes. I
pretty much stumbled my way through the first bit of single track and
did not gain control of my bike until the first flat bit where I could
warmed up by spinning.

Aggro on the Track
- none really, every one was courteous and polite. Actually, change
every none to "one female". I had a brief conversation with someone I
pulled up alongside, and when she stopped at an obstacle, she asked me
to go ahead as she said I was faster than her. I replied "I'm sure we'll
be passing each other again as I'm not that fast". She then said "you
are full of ****". WTF?

Minor stacks
- yeah, so I had a few incidents with my Eggbeater Candy pedals. The
first was when I misjudged the angle of a turn and got wedged between 2
rocks. I was stuck and couldn't unclip myself. I had to wait for the
next rider to come along and get me out of my pedals. The guys said
"mate, how long have you been stuck here?"
- I also came a cropper when I noticed my seat wasn't aligned with my
top tube and decided in my infinite wisdom to realign it while I was on
the move. Bad mistake. The next thing I knew, I was on the ground on my
side and couldn't move until the next rider came along to help me out (I
see a trend developing here ...)

The major stack
- I was waiting for a quite a while in the transition area for my team
mate so I could start my last lap. After being uncharacteristcally slow,
he turns up, sans bike, and hands me the transition card so I could head
off for my next lap. I ask, "where's your bike?" and then notice one of
the event organisers wheeling his bike behind him. I would like to say
he taco'ed his front wheel but it really looked more like a pretzel (he
had just picked up his new Specialized Epic on Friday) . I ask him if he
was fine, he said he had a sore shoulder and was going to see first aid.
- I decided to accompany him to first aid to see if he needed further
help. Initial diagnosis was a broken collar bone. It turns out he was
going fast down the last downhill ("The Chute") when his front wheel got
stuck in deep sand and he got thrown off his bike and bounced around a bit.
- X-rays revealed a broken collar bone and broken bone in the wrist.
What a bummer of a way to end the weekend.

Whinge
- I had always realised I had a heavy bike but I didn't realise how
heavy it was until the weekend. A friend who has a Santa Cruz Heckler
picked my bike up and said "it is not much lighter than my Heckler"
(FYI, I have a Kona Cinder Cone).

Other stuff
- what was the deal with the lady who did an entire lap with nothing but
a helmet, shoes, gloves, a bra and a g-string?

Thank you for your attention ...

petulance wrote:

> (long list of ramblings ...)
>
> So 3 enduro virgins decide to sign up as part of a 4 person team for the
> 12 hour option of the Sydney 24 hour held on April Fool's weekend. We
> couldn't get a 4th rider in the team so we decided to participate as a
> trio.

excellent

> The Track
> - the event was held at Dargle Farm in Sydney's North West
> - there were only 2 hard climbs on the track. The first was a sandy
> climb right at the start and was a constant gradient that was sandy. As
> soon as my front wheel got bogged in the sand, I decided to walk it.
> Which I did for the rest of the event. The second was towards the end
> and was harder as it was sandy, rocky and uneven. Not surprisingly, I
> walked that one as well.

The first climb was easy- start on the left move over to the middle
about two thirds up thus keeping out of the 10cm of fine dust that
covered the rest of the climb.

> - the only hard downhill bit was towards the end, called "The Chute".
> There was at least one major stack there ...

Not hard just too tempting to go faster than you should (and in many
cases can). I did crash down there - although I was running down and
styling it up off the jumps after walking up there to take photos

> - there were 2 bits of single track, with the second bit being easier
> than the first (I thought it flowed better).

More than two bits. I liked it all.

> - did I mention the track was sandy?

Very sandy, but not as dusty as the first couple of years.

> How I Went

<snip>

> - I don't think I have ever been as cold on a bike as I have this
> morning at 6am. All I had were short fingered gloves, knicks, a jersey
> and arm warmers. I had absolutely no feeling in my fingers and toes. I
> pretty much stumbled my way through the first bit of single track and
> did not gain control of my bike until the first flat bit where I could
> warmed up by spinning.

You should have got up an hour & a half earlier it was much colder then;
by 6am I'd discarded knee warmers and vest.

> Aggro on the Track
> - none really, every one was courteous and polite. Actually, change
> every none to "one female". I had a brief conversation with someone I
> pulled up alongside, and when she stopped at an obstacle, she asked me
> to go ahead as she said I was faster than her. I replied "I'm sure we'll
> be passing each other again as I'm not that fast". She then said "you
> are full of ****". WTF?
>
> Minor stacks
> - yeah, so I had a few incidents with my Eggbeater Candy pedals. The
> first was when I misjudged the angle of a turn and got wedged between 2
> rocks. I was stuck and couldn't unclip myself. I had to wait for the
> next rider to come along and get me out of my pedals. The guys said
> "mate, how long have you been stuck here?"

He he!

<snip>

> The major stack

> - X-rays revealed a broken collar bone and broken bone in the wrist.
> What a bummer of a way to end the weekend.

Bummer about your mate - at least he wasn't the one carted off in the
helicopter (he's alright - broken collar bone & ribs).

I had a few friends who had some nasty stacks, but their all ok.

> Whinge
> - I had always realised I had a heavy bike but I didn't realise how
> heavy it was until the weekend. A friend who has a Santa Cruz Heckler
> picked my bike up and said "it is not much lighter than my Heckler"
> (FYI, I have a Kona Cinder Cone).
>

> Other stuff
> - what was the deal with the lady who did an entire lap with nothing but
> a helmet, shoes, gloves, a bra and a g-string?

That would be Rosi King Adventure racing & endurance mountain legend.
I'm not sure I'll share the photos with a.b

> Thank you for your attention ...

Parbs - The Black Monkey, The Surly Flinging Monkeys

Parbs wrote:
> petulance wrote:
>
>> The Track
>> - the event was held at Dargle Farm in Sydney's North West
>> - there were only 2 hard climbs on the track. The first was a sandy
>> climb right at the start and was a constant gradient that was sandy.
>> As soon as my front wheel got bogged in the sand, I decided to walk
>> it. Which I did for the rest of the event. The second was towards the
>> end and was harder as it was sandy, rocky and uneven. Not
>> surprisingly, I walked that one as well.

> The first climb was easy- start on the left move over to the middle
> about two thirds up thus keeping out of the 10cm of fine dust that
> covered the rest of the climb.

don't say that! I need an excuse to change the tyres that came on my
bike to something like Larsen TTs ...

;)

>> - the only hard downhill bit was towards the end, called "The Chute".
>> There was at least one major stack there ...

> Not hard just too tempting to go faster than you should (and in many
> cases can).

Yeah, I think that was why my mate had his stack. The duallie gave him a
bit too much confidence (and he was wearing clipless pedals for the
first time).

>> - there were 2 bits of single track, with the second bit being easier
>> than the first (I thought it flowed better).

> More than two bits. I liked it all.

Three?

:)

>> - I don't think I have ever been as cold on a bike as I have this
>> morning at 6am. All I had were short fingered gloves, knicks, a jersey
>> and arm warmers. I had absolutely no feeling in my fingers and toes. I
>> pretty much stumbled my way through the first bit of single track and
>> did not gain control of my bike until the first flat bit where I could
>> warmed up by spinning.

> You should have got up an hour & a half earlier it was much colder then;
> by 6am I'd discarded knee warmers and vest.

I grew up in the tropics so this was relatively freezing for me (which
doesn't bode well for the Mont)

>> The major stack

>> - X-rays revealed a broken collar bone and broken bone in the wrist.
>> What a bummer of a way to end the weekend.

> Bummer about your mate - at least he wasn't the one carted off in the
> helicopter (he's alright - broken collar bone & ribs).

Yeah, I saw the chopper and knew it couldn't have been good. Not sure
how the guy stacked it as it was supposedly a small drop off (bottomed
out his forks?)

>> Other stuff
>> - what was the deal with the lady who did an entire lap with nothing
>> but a helmet, shoes, gloves, a bra and a g-string?
>>

> That would be Rosi King Adventure racing & endurance mountain legend.

Aha.

> I'm not sure I'll share the photos with a.b

he he ... I think lots of guys were glad they made the short walk from
their tents to the transition area once word got around ...

petulance said:
Yeah, I saw the chopper and knew it couldn't have been good. Not sure how the guy stacked it as it was supposedly a small drop off (bottomed out his forks?)

If he landed in sand, it's not suprising at all. Hitting a patch of soft sand is like suddenly locking your brakes... recipe for OTB :). Although how he did the wheel in is a bit of a mystery?

> petulance Wrote:
>> Yeah, I saw the chopper and knew it couldn't have been good. Not sure
>> how the guy stacked it as it was supposedly a small drop off (bottomed
>> out his forks?)

A 1 foot drop onto a hard road, with a bit of a ditch. You either had
to go fast & launch both wheels or slow enough to roll anything in
between was asking for trouble.

Parbs
PS results are up

petulance wrote:
<snip awesome report>
Thanks for the awesome report!

> Other stuff
> - what was the deal with the lady who did an entire lap with nothing but
> a helmet, shoes, gloves, a bra and a g-string?

What a brave lady. I would consider that for a running event, but I'd
lose way too much skin MTBing like that!

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> petulance wrote:
> <snip awesome report>
> Thanks for the awesome report!

Aw, shucks, it is always nice to be appreciated.

> > Other stuff
> > - what was the deal with the lady who did an entire lap with nothing but
> > a helmet, shoes, gloves, a bra and a g-string?

> What a brave lady. I would consider that for a running event, but I'd
> lose way too much skin MTBing like that!

Hmmm, all the more reason to improve your off-road bike handling
skills?

;)