2007 Campagnolo Record and Chorus

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by carbonguru, Sep 16, 2006.

1. carbonguru

carbonguru New Member

Has anyone had the joy of riding these new 2007 Record Carbon or Chorus Carbon Gruppos? What I am interested in learning about are the new skeleton brake calipers. They look way nice and very similiar to zero gravity type calipers, but do they stop with the same efficiency as the zero gravity brake calipers. Also, how does the new Ultra-Drive crank feel? Do you feel like more power transfer and watts are going to the rear wheel? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tags:

2. Dietmar

Dietmar New Member

Why in the world would you expect that to be the case? It's just a crankset after all. There's nothing about these that could have any impact of any sort on "power transfer", let alone Watts going to the rear wheel. They are a couple of grams lighter than the previous ones, but that's it.

3. carbonguru

carbonguru New Member

Actually, I have a cousin who works for CycleOps in WI. They have data that was sent over from Campagnolo that supports more power transfer with this new crankset. The added stiffness and torsional properties are suppose to help the rider go faster. For this reason I was asking if anyone that has had the privelege of riding this new 2007 Gruppo experienced this phenomenon. :)

4. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

In all fairness, although I am a Campagnolo worshipper, I find it hard to believe that anyone short of some monstrous track rider putting out a billion watts will be able to notice the difference in stiffness (I still ride square taper and am not suffering vis-a-vis my riding partners who ride that abomination that is the Dura Ace crankset).

5. carbonguru

carbonguru New Member

Powerful Pete I definitely see your point. I too prefer Campy over Shimano. In my mind there is no comparison to the quality or performance. I am just really excited to try a 2007 Gruppo out myself. I know my cousin said that they are doing some testing on the data provided by Campagnolo S.R.L. to "verify" the validity. I guess it really doesn't matter. We still have to muscle the pedals over and over again. I just wanted to see if anyone noticed a difference in their personal performance with the new Campy Crankset. :)

6. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

with a nick like "campybob" i think my sympathies are clear.

however, in this case i think campagnolo designed their new crank to the alter of the god of the gram scale. although it is no doubt measurably stiffer, the big advantage is in the sales brochure..."lightest in the pro peloton!". i'm sure the new 2-piece, integrated axle design will merit serious sales pitches also.

sure, a pro might push a few more precious watts thru it, but to the average cat 3 blowing around a .7-mile crit course?

the brake concept is a throwback to the old drilled-out record brakes of the early 1970's, when weight weenies even cross-drilled the cable drums on their shift levers. again, shaving grams is the sales issue and function will be more than adequate...it does bear the hallowed campagnolo name, afterall!:)

i will probably build up a new ride for next season out of the chorus gruppo just because i like the 2006 chorus components (that i spent the summer on) so much.

7. carbonguru

carbonguru New Member

Thanks Campy Bob. I hope to have a 2007 Gruppo on my new bike next year too. I can hardly wait for next season. :)

8. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Don't get me wrong, I think the new Record and Chorus are absolutely beautiful, and if I could get permission from the bank manager and the ball and chain I would certainly get myself a new bike with 2007 Chorus (a bit difficult to justify Record)...

9. Phill P

Phill P New Member

I can't even justify the $500+ to go from centaur to chorus, but would if I had the cash!! (didn't win squat in lotto again this weekend...)

10. carbonguru

carbonguru New Member

Phill P - You're too funny!!! :p

You know, the difference between Centaur and Chorus, is quite noticeable. I think you should take the plunge and do the upgrade for 2007. :)

11. Phill P

Phill P New Member

What is the difference?

The only operational difference for 07 is the shifters, centaur only one shift at a time and chorus gets the older style multi shift (which I do like).

Other wise both now have a carbon rear cage, carbon brake levers

Chorus now gets the carbon front cage (so what, bling), carbon cranks (I'm not fussed about a few grams, bling), and um what else?

My custom shop charges close to $700 more for 06 chorus, might be even more since chorus is now carbon crank only. I'd rather take that money and invest it. At 98kg the weight saving for chorus doesn't effect me much, and centaur looks great anyway.

As I said if money were faaar less of an object than it is today I'd go up, but the cost/benefit sums just aren't there for me. I'll probably get a custom zona 58cm frame, another 100gms for centaur isn't going to effect me much.

12. IEatRice4Dinner

IEatRice4Dinner New Member

centaur uses a bushing for the shifting, chorus and record use a bearing.

13. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

And Chorus looks really cool (you are right though, Centaur is just fine!).

14. JohnO

JohnO New Member

If it helps any... I bought a Chorus group back in 2002, went with that over centaur for the extra bearings. Bit of a traditionalist here - Record was what to have when I was riding crits back in the 80's, so I didn't mind spending a bit extra to stay with Tullio's masterpieces.

That Chorus group has been bulletproof for the last four years. I haven't touched cable adjustments, once past the first month. Had to tighten the crank bolts a couple of times, but otherwise it's been get on the bike and ride. Campy is as reliable as it always was. Have to say, the newer Chorus carbon crankset really caught my eye. If you are going to spend money on bling, that's the way to do it.

As for the new style BB spindle... when the ISIS splined shaft came out, I picked up a bargain on a RaceFace Next crankset for the MTB, because it was the old square spindle. Having had the chance to compare it to an ISIS equipped bike, I can't say that I noticed any difference, and my wambly legs can use all the help they can get.

Save some money, and get a 2006 Chorus group next spring.

15. bladegeek

bladegeek New Member

Being new to the sport and only have ridden Ultegra or DA what is the difference in the DA and Campy?.....I did not find that much difference in Ultegra and DA.

16. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Please do a search, to help us avoid another religious war on ShimaNO versus Campagnolo. Both are excellent. Campagnolo is better. ;)

17. carbonguru

carbonguru New Member

That one is hard to describe. It's like comparing Ford vs. Chevy. They are both trucks, they both can haul lots of things, they both have big engines. Often it is comes down to a simple matter of preference.

One of the noticible differences for me, and one that has kept me a Campy Fan all my racing life, is the shifting done on the levers. I prefer the "Fighter Pilot" shifting that Campy is famous for. I have tried racing with Shimano DA ans Crits are a bear!!! I always misshifted and lost momentum out of a turn or I couldn't get to the right gear fast enough. Campy lets you skip two gears if needed and gets you right where you need to be when sprinting. I also think that Campy Hoods are so much more comfortable than the big bulky Shimano Hoods. I also prescribe to the fact that "Over time, Shimano wears out -- as Campagnolo wears in!" You can rebuild Campy Levers to new, but Shimano Levers you simply have to throw out.

I think overall, it is really a matter of preference. I can say this, once you go to Campy, you may never have a desire to ride Shimano again. This is just my 2 cents. :rolleyes:

18. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

I'll be the scapegoat here. I don't mean this yet, but it might stir something up

I THINK SRAM IS BETTER

bring the newcomers in

19. bomber

bomber New Member

Me either... and i bought a ticket and everything! :mad:

20. bladegeek

bladegeek New Member

That is funny!