2007 fuji team pro vs. 2006 scott cr1 pro

mdbrown

Jul 10, 2004
I've currently got a 2004 cervelo soloist with mainly 105 components and I'm ready to upgrade. A local shop has a last year scott cr1 pro marked down to $2299 which seems to be a pretty good price. It's got full ultegra components and ksyrium elite wheels. Another local shop has a 2007 fuji team pro with ultegra components, fsa carbon crank, and dura ace rear derailleur for $1899. Both bikes are carbon and I know that scott has gotten really good reviews, but after test riding it, the top tube seems a bit long (at least longer than my cervelo). Do scotts run a little large? If anybody has any experience or suggestions I'd be grateful.

mdbrown said:
I've currently got a 2004 cervelo soloist with mainly 105 components and I'm ready to upgrade. A local shop has a last year scott cr1 pro marked down to $2299 which seems to be a pretty good price. It's got full ultegra components and ksyrium elite wheels. Another local shop has a 2007 fuji team pro with ultegra components, fsa carbon crank, and dura ace rear derailleur for $1899. Both bikes are carbon and I know that scott has gotten really good reviews, but after test riding it, the top tube seems a bit long (at least longer than my cervelo). Do scotts run a little large? If anybody has any experience or suggestions I'd be grateful.
FWIW. Buy the bike whose frame fits better (based on your comments, I presume that would be the FUJI) ...

I've seen the FUJI ... I'm not keen on the wheelset (at least, on the one I saw on the particular bike -- sell the wheels, buy a new pair with that money & the $400+ (I'm presuming you are paying sales tax on the difference) that you are saving off the SCOTT) ...

The price for the FUJI will be hard to beat ...

The only thing that would make the FUJI better would be if it had Campagnolo components!

BTW. If you just want to know about the length of the respective top tubes, then go onto the respective web sites! OR, get a SCOTT with the proper length top tube for your fit.

You could change the stem length on the Scott. Have you considered just upgrading components on your soloist? I have Record carbon on mine and the bike is fantastic! I'm sure their are more compliant bikes out that are just as stiff, but I like the versatility of the soloist and it accelerates like crazy.

I agree you should upgrade your components. I currently work in the cycling industry and see all kind of stuff come out that folks continually waste their money buying. And basing a purchase on components is the worst thing anyone can do. What you need to think about is that Fuji is a huge company and pays way less per frame than Scott which is why the parts are nicer. And I guarantee they are of similar quality regardless of what either say. Your frame is a very good frame and you would be well served upgrading a little bit. And if you really want a great bike get a quality frame, then nice wheels then parts. Shimano 105 is very good these days as is Campy Centaur. Think of it like your putting expensive leather seats in a $10000 car. It makes no sense. And if you want a really well made frame it will not be inexpensive but totally worth it. I hope this helps.

I bought a 2006 Fuji Team purely for its feel and fit. Yes I did take into consideration the components, purely to copmare what other manufacturers had for the price range (the price was a good one due to 2007 coming out), but in the end I went with Fuji because I liked the ride and feel. I would dare say that I will hold onto the frame and upgrade components when necessary.

I asked all the questions about what is better, finding everyones opinions on which they preferred, but in the end it came down to what I liked and what bike suited me best from test riding.

clackerz said:
I bought a 2006 Fuji Team
- I have one. In size 52.

- its my only classic framed roadie.

- compared to my 3 other carbon-compact roadies , a compact frame climbs and accelerates better. A bit more twitchy , but you learn to live with it.

- Fuji frames are well made , but they usually skimp on components (ie , you might get a mishmash of parts) - I remember mine came with a Truvativ ELITA compact crankset. The worse crankset I have ever encountered.

I used to work at a Performance Bicycle, you really shouldn't refer to it as a "local shop." I can without a doubt explain the difference in the frame. The fuji uses the c4 carbon, which has 1500 tpi. 1500 tpi is a low thread count for anyones standard. Because of this, these bikes are notorious for flexing a lot when being stood up on.

Nolllies said:
I can without a doubt explain the difference in the frame. The fuji uses the c4 carbon, which has 1500 tpi. 1500 tpi is a low thread count for anyones standard. Because of this, these bikes are notorious for flexing a lot when being stood up on.
- the frame is Monocoque C4 Carbon with 12K Carbon Strands

- the Fuji's frame is a bit 'flexy' compared to my other carbon-roadies.

- but you're rewarded (if thats your thing) with a comfy ride which handles poor surfaces well. She also takes you long distances with less fatigue as the ride is much less jarring.

- but the main drawback for me as regards the Fuji is not the 'flexy' frame , but rather the classic-geometry.

cheers.