2007 Roi Monster Frameset Arrived

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by carbonguru, Nov 1, 2006.

1. carbonguru

carbonguru New Member

Thanks Rev. ;)

2. 100miles

100miles New Member

Oh my. Now you've made it clear that you are just stirring the pot. You mean, Christ-Like-as in calling people gay or idiots? Or more like taking some small, unsuspecting bike company in Italy, associating the likes of yourself with them, and dragging them down along with you?

3. rayhuang

rayhuang New Member

oh-crap...............

4. John M

John M New Member

So will you disassemble it before you actually ship it?

Only catching $320 for the frameset right now too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2006-ROI-An...ryZ98084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

5. carbonguru

carbonguru New Member

Not sure I understand you John. Disassemble what? That is an ROI Antares Frameset. Other people in America actually purchase ROI framesets too. I think this frameset is BEAUTIFUL!!! I dropped off the new one I built up for my friend at his house this morning before I came into the office. His jaw was on the ground. He could not believe how nice it turned out. The complete bike only weighed in at 16.1 lbs on my hanging digital scale with the Speedplay Zero Pedals and Zefiro 52mm rims. A very nice build. :)

6. 100miles

100miles New Member

That is a beautiful frame. What's with the guy putting it right on the bare concrete though? The Antares YOU have for sale on ebay is beautiful too. But I thought your whole team bought Time Machines and your whole club bought Mag-mas? Now you're building them Antares too? I'm getting so confused. But I AM impressed with how much influence you have over the major buying purchases of every biker you encounter! Not to mention how kind you are to build all of them. :)

7. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Carbonguru from another thread, "I just shipped a bike I sold to a guy in Hawaii UPS and it cost $450. I know my friend shipped a Tri-Bike to a guy in Australia using Fed-Ex and it cost him over $600 because of the size of the box."

For a wealthy lawyer you sure do spend a lot of time building bikes. You don't suppose if I went through the past auctions of zefiro on e-bay I would to find a tri bike sold to someone located in australia, do you?

8. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

with a campy tool set, a journyman's card as a tool & die maker, 26 years as an engineer and enough snap-on/matco/craftsman tools to choke a horse...i still couldn't get a top-end build done in under three hours.

not one i would put my name on, anyway.

maybe i'll go unto the bike building biz. i hear it pays better than being a lawyer.

9. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

You have an excellent point. I would rather build a bike which won't disintegrate in 6 hours than one that will in 3

10. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

I have a hard time believing that bike weighed 16.1 lb, that warrants a photo. Alot of that Zeffiro stuff is extremely likely to be carbon-wrapped aluminium. It may well not be but you are unbelievable.

11. carbonguru

carbonguru New Member

CampyBob you can't build a bike in 3 hours? I bet you could. You just have to concentrate. I put on Motown and go to work. The fastest bike I have built for myself was done in less than 2 hours with a Shimano DA Group Build. Start from the BB and work your way up. I can do it all in 5 easy steps with the correct tools and a cooperative frame. That is how I paid my way thru school. I built and maintained bikes. After a while it becomes 2nd nature. Just like anything else. For me its total stress relief too after a long day in the office. Cheers! :)

12. carbonguru

carbonguru New Member

I saw that auction too. He's nuts! At least lay down a microfiber towel or something. That frame is too nice to scratch.

To answer your question, our club has a large number of active members/riders. There were 41 assorted frames ordered which is why we got the 10% discount. I am only building the bikes of those who couldn't wait for the Sponsor Shop to build it for them. They have quite the line as you can imagine. It's a quick $75 bucks per build; some lunch money for the week. ;)

13. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

You are pulling down $20K per week and you are concerned about lunch money? Spending two to three hours to build a bike hardly seems worth the $75 when you are making nearly $500 an hour as a shyster. Seems a little odd. What happened? Did your law firm go bankrupt or did you have to switch back to a more honest profession like engineering?

14. mrklein

mrklein New Member

There are a lot of shops in my area that probably don't sell 41 carbon frames in an entire season! How in the world did you talk that many people (in a cycling club, no less) into a brand new high end bike?! What on earth is going on up there in Mountain Peaks? Pass the bong George...;)

15. 100miles

100miles New Member

It's the christian side of George. The one we haven't gotten to know yet. He probably wants to save all that frame-building cash to send over to screwed-over Alaskans who, while living in a trailer, have been taken for their last dime by fast-talking "millionaires."

16. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

I love these "millionaires." I see them on TV late at night, selling get rich quick books and seminars to the rubes. Their systems must have worked really well for themselves if they are forced to make extra cash selling DVDs.

I am getting a mental picture of carbonguru/George. I see a sleazier looking Don Lapre, a slimy lounge lizard who sell his "money making system" on cheesy infomercials and a guy who comes across as someone who would steal his own mother's rent money.

On thing is for sure, when "miilionaires" try to talk you into buying something, you better hang on to your wallet. And it does not matter if they are selling real estate, shares in dot coms, or bike frames.

17. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

Carbonguru, I would hate to ride a bike you built. I could build one in less than 2 hours, but it would be crap. It doesn't take long to slap it together, it takes time to get the position right, levers right, do a good job at wrapping the bars, put on other things, cut the steerer tube to specified length, install headset system so it is properly set, make sure nothing rubs anything, if so use frame protector, then make sure all the cable housings are the right lengths, check gears (so they are not just working, but flawess), get the chain to the right length, remembering to grease/loctite everything needed, putting on tyres/tubes/tubulars, checking wheel straightness, then double check whoever's bike it is' position on it, and making sure they like what they see. Then you send them off with it. And I only charge $30AUD - $50AUD, depending on what labour is needed. This is half your cost in AUD, and plus , I enjoy it.

18. carbonguru

carbonguru New Member

Bobby I do all that and more. Building Bikes is easy for me. It's my hobby and joy. For me it is not stressful or difficult. So now your mad at me because I build a bike faster than you and because I helped my friends with their bikes? How nutty and insecure is that?

19. Fignon le Grand

Fignon le Grand New Member

Hi Guys

This and the other thread posted regarding Token parts are the best fiction I have ever read. It keeps me going all lunch time, the number of holes in the story are just amazing. In the space of 6 pages there have been 50 bikes built in 50 minutes, 5 career changes and the highest number of superlatives per sentence ever recorded. Shakepeare couldnt have done better. I actually live in Europe and couldnt get a bike built by my local best mate with custom sizes in less than a month, but hey all power to your elbow. Here is link to a german website with all their frames and the prices in euro's. http://ciclicorsa.shop.t-online.de/catalog.asp?cid=42966&sid=1585&FES=%24SCID_5C9D78...8287C1%24VID_966 This year I went to the London Bike show, the Eurobike in Holland and a big German one I cant remember the name of and to be honest I never sawe any Roi bikes. They just look like interesting frames made from stock parts nothing too exciting.
    But forget the bikes and just keep the witty banter going, and when will vector9 be making an appearance?
    Please dont reply to my post, I just wanted to express my thanks for the enjoyment you have all given me.

20. Vector8

Vector8 New Member

He might make an appearance any day now. I can feel a career change coming. Hmmm, professional golfer, astronaut, neurosurgeon, crown prince. It is so hard to decide.